Seating in VectorWorks ?_?

CSCTech

Hey guys, I got Vector Works student copy today and I am currently laying out our place. I know there is a system that make a shape into a block of seating, we are setup for Orchestra Left Center and Right so it shouldn't be too hard. I made a rounded rectangle in the length and degree of our left section so far, and the online guide says to select the object you want to make seating and select the Event Planning menu. I click the object, but There is not Event Planning menu where there should be on the top.

X_X Anyone know why?

You're probably having a Workspace problem. Vectorworks has a number of workspaces, which hide and display various tools and menus. I suggest the Spotlight layout for theatrical work, as it is designed for theatre. You can change workspaces in Tools->Workspaces.

If you want to stick with your current workspace, Vectorworks also has powerful tools for editing workspaces.

Yeah I tried every workspace option and non of them displayed the Event Planning menu : (
I am using Architect right now just to do the walls and whatnot but I will be using Spotlight for everything else.

Spotlight also displays the wall tool.

Since you're not having any luck with changing workspaces, try the following: Tools-Workspaces-Workspace Editor-Edit the Current Workspace. In the left-hand column is a list of items which are not included in your current workspace. Find "Event Plannning" and from there, you can do whatever you need.

Yeah just saw that :p

And got it :D
There was a Seating Layout option under Spotlights Furniture and Fixtures section.

Ah well, dumb guide :p

Now i can't seem to get the seats straight or facing the way I want : ( I got the left orch good but center I cant.

There, I can't help you. I've never had much luck with the seating tool. It always seems to just sort of decide what way the seats should go completely randomly.

Any seating tool experts here?

Well, after like, an hour and a half I got a botched up job that somewhat resembles our seating xD. If you make the outline correctly, rotate it right, and use the '3d Selection' tool one blue box should come up on an edge, drag it around a bit and it should turn the seats. Or completly mess up the outline, whichever :p.

Now I am trying to figure out how to change the 'Active Symbol' because its a chair right now..and I am trying to add lighting positions :/

Should make this a sticky for anyone who needs help with VW :p

Well, I have the student edition which I signed up for :/

If you go to the VW site and are a student, make an account, then go to Student Version or something and it will ask for proof of enrolment, scan a schedule of yours or a school ID. If your a student that is.

Fixtures?

Hey guys, I found the file for our fixtures, NSI, and got them. But we have altman border lights. So I tried to search Altman and got nothing, I am searching in VW in the resource finder, under the folder Objects-Entertainment. I can see a VW file labled "Lighting-Altman Metric" when going to the folder on my computer. But VW cannot seem to find it..

Re: Fixtures?

Open that file (although you should probably use Imperial, unless you are outside the US) and inside should be a folder called striplights, or something to that effect. What model borderlights do you have? I can find the directory and post it for you.

Not sure the model, but they three channel ones with 4 lamps per channel, one of the longer ones.

And sorry, I meant imperial.
Yeah, well the file is a vectorworks file, so I can't really open it. And if dragged and dropped into a VC page it only shows a Altman advertisment :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back