setting down spikes

NHStech

As you know, there are limited number of colors for spiking sets. Some of the colors look a lot like others (florescent orange and pink, for example) under low-light blue light conditions.
Generally, I spike according to scene number. If there is a piece that only goes to one spike, then that doesn't pose much of a problem, as we just make a note of that piece. But, what do you do when there are several scenes and many spikes, and you only have so many colors to work with?

Use the problematic colours for top of show and intermission--when you have better light to work with. I've even used dark blue spike tape for that, because I don't particularly care if it disappears under any other lighting condition. You can also rip the spike lengthwise to create skinny and fat spikes in the same colour tape. You can also take a Sharpie marker and draw a line, cross-hatch pattern, what-have-you, on the tape to make the same colour mark a different set.

I SMed a show last year where I needed a total of 24 (yes, twenty four) different colors of spike tape. I basically did what FHSTechDir suggested. Lay down a normal-sized length of color A, then put a slightly smaller strip of Color B on top of that, and then finally put an even smaller strip of Color C on top of that. The biggest problem with having so many different colors of spike on the deck is remembering which one goes to what. I always tried to color code as much as possible, such as making sure that tri-colored spikes containing Blue were for Act I, and spikes containing Red were for Act II or something like that. I've also used paint pens to physically draw on spike tape - I've drawn diagonal white lines on a piece of red spike tape to make it stand out when necessary. Sharpie might work here too, but I've only ever tried it with paint pen.

I'll often use bi-coloured corner spikes - one side in one colour, one in another. The other thing I try and do as much as possible is use one spike mark for more than one thing - if you've got two spikes only 50mm apart, talk to the director and designer about moving each of the pieces 25mm and then you only need one spike. Also, if you have a patterned or painted floor then you can use the floor as a roadmap - put a piece of set on two intersecting lines rather than putting a spike down. Obviously that's no good on a one-colour floor though!

We seem to have a knack for ripping up spike tape at my theater. I might try that clear packing tape idea, but what I've gone to is spray paint. I made a stencil about the size of a spike corner and I spray spikes where they need to be. Can't be ripped up and I have as many colors of "spike" as there are colors of spray paint. Only downside is it's not as quick to throw a spike down during a rehearsal, I usually have to spike with tape and then go back with the spray paint later.

I would think the packing tape would shine on the deck, does it?

I'm an LD and I have never had a problem with the tape shining. In my opinion, it blends pretty seemlessly into the the floor and does its job real nice. What I do have a problem with is spikes everywhere!!!! I like to tell people that if you can't fit a 2" x 2" or 2" x 3" piece of packing tape over a spike mark the spike is probably too big. Some people put down WAY more tape then they need to. Try the pakcing tape over the spike tape, you'll love it...I promise. Sometimes it might be a slight pain to remove it after the run, but it will be worth it.

...but what I've gone to is spray paint ...
Might I suggest paint pen as a faster and less-messy alternative to spray paint and stencil? Sharpie® | Sharpie Water-Based Paint Marker Medium

...I would think the packing tape would shine on the deck, does it?
Yes, it does, which is why it's usually only used over glow tape. Why oh why does glow tape have the weakest adhesive of any tape?

I'm an LD and I have never had a problem with the tape shining. ...
Angle of Incidence=Angle of Reflection.

I don't mind using the same colour for multiple scenes as long as it's clear. For instance if only one piece is moving in a change, and it's position and layout is distinctive I find it not necessarily necessary to use a distinctive colour.

In instances where tape lifting is a concern or long runs, or shows with a floor with distinctive (ie not flat black) treatments I often whip out a paint brush and paint (first laying out in tape for rehearsal) the marks on. Any colour or pattern or whatever under the sun.

I've always used a staple gun to secure glow tape.

And if you can...try to always put some clear packing tape down over the spike tape to protect it from feet and scenery being dragged over it...it will also keep the tape from peeling up and give you an overall cleaner and neater appearance!
You have to be absolutely sure that you get all of it up before you repaint the floor, though. I think I've finally got the last of it up from when an SM did that five shows ago. We kept having to touch up the floor a week into the show as paint would finally flake off of another bit of packing tape that was missed, and the orange floor of that show would peek through. I'd strongly suggest doing painted spikes instead where durability is a concern.

I'd strongly suggest doing painted spikes instead where durability is a concern.

At my high school, we always paint the stage a fresh coat of flat black (or a floor treatment if we happen to be using one) a few days before every show opens. For us, we lay down tape spikes before we paint as we determine what we need, because these are easy to move around. Then when we paint the floor black, we paint right over all the spikes and make everything black. We then go in and just write in colored paint pen where that spike had been. It allows for flexibility to change spikes during the rehearsal process, while also giving a durable mark that won't come up. It's a great system if you're repainting the deck for every show.

We seem to have a knack for ripping up spike tape at my theater. I might try that clear packing tape idea, but what I've gone to is spray paint. I made a stencil about the size of a spike corner and I spray spikes where they need to be. Can't be ripped up and I have as many colors of "spike" as there are colors of spray paint. Only downside is it's not as quick to throw a spike down during a rehearsal, I usually have to spike with tape and then go back with the spray paint later.

Before you start painting you spike marks, get permission from the house. In my venue, I'd give serious thought to throwing you out of the building for even suggesting that you'd paint your spikes on my floor. At the very least, you'd be billed for damage to the building.

I've always used a staple gun to secure glow tape.

On our main stage, this is not an option due to the flooring material we used.

I assume you have to sand your floor down every so often? That seems like a lot of coats of paint on the floor.
And you paint over the tape spikes??

Before you start painting you spike marks, get permission from the house. In my venue, I'd give serious thought to throwing you out of the building for even suggesting that you'd paint your spikes on my floor. At the very least, you'd be billed for damage to the building.

I am the house in my venue, so not an issue there. But I agree if someone else came in on a rental and started painting my stage there'd be an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back