"Sticky" Lineset

chausman

Chase
Fight Leukemia
During our build "party" today (hurray for four people showing up) I noticed one of our linesets has a spot on it where it gets "stuck". If you pull slightly harder, it moves free and continues, but it always stops at about the same place. Before you ask, we checked that the batten didn't have anything hitting it. We also checked the tension block and the head block, but neither had anything that looked like it was blocking anything or getting stuck. I removed any offending pieces of spike tape, and it still sticks. We don't need it for this show, but we'd like to at least know why it does that (if possible). I have a few pictures, but I don't know if they would help. I can try and get a few more tomorrow if needed.

Chase H.

Odds are there is a bend in the T-Track that the arbor is catching. Its a more happens more then one would like...

Because it always catches in the same place, that 99% of the time rules out any sheave. It could be a spot in the purchase line or on a lift line catching, but that is doubtful.

Written concurrently with Kyle.

Guessing you have either a double or single purchase counterweight system with steel lines?

If it was a bad block, it would likely freeze repeatedly each time that block reached that point in its travel at its axel or wheel. Have you checked individual lift lines? If one was over loaded or rested bent against something too long it could be damaged and causing the problem.

Kyle points out another possibility that is very possible. I've also just had random crap get stuck on lift lines that caused a "bump" that made it not travel smoothly.

First, this post is based entirely on the assumption that your system is a standard counterweight system, either single or double purchase.

Second, as others have already pointed out the probable problem, I have tried to show the ways to search out and pin point it.

You have already narrowed the problem down quite a bit, in that you say it is only in one point in the travel of the line set, and after pulled through, runs fine. You did not mention any other symptoms such as the batten jumping or the purchase line "whipping or jerking". This alone virtually eliminates any of the blocks in the system as the primary cause of the problem. That leaves the items that pass a specific point or cycle only once during the travel.

That means the probable problem is with (in no particular order):
1. Purchase line.
2. Individual lift lines.
3. Guide system:
.....a. Wire guides
.....b. T track or J track guides.

My first thought is, as others have already pointed out, the guides. And, it is highly improbable that your system is a wire guide. A node or tape or contamination on a wire guide would tend to create a sudden "bump-jerk" in the system, and often the problem will be scrapped away by the arbor after a while, at the same time completely wasting any grommet or plastic guide eyelet in the arbor. A lift line with something on it would exhibit the same tendency but would not be self clearing. If a lift line were the culprit, it would be because of a hard kink or a bird's nest. However I don't think it is a lift line as it would tend to make the batten "dance" as one line grabs and the others run free, a rather noticeable action. A purchase line has only 3 points of contact that could cause the problem, the head block and tension block which you said you've checked, and the rope lock. You also indicated you did a thorough check of the purchase line, removing spike tape and such ( Please folks, use ribbon or similar, NOT tape ) so it is an unlikely cause.

Now we're at the most likely cause, a track that is bent, bowed or deformed. This will squeeze or bind the guide shoe as the arbor passes and then run free when it has passed. Run the arbor and observe where it is in the track when the "stick" happens. Check the track in that area for loose wall anchors, loose, bent or broken knee braces, loose or missing bolts between the wall and knees and track. check in a wide circle as this kind of problem can often exhibit itself away from the actual cause.

Without an on site inspection I can't be sure, but from the symptoms described, this would seem to be the most likely cause of the problem.

Hope this helps.

Ok. Sorry for not being clearer. This is a single-purchase counterweight system with a T-track guide, as you correctly assumed. The batten didn't seem to "dance". I'll look at the guides tomorrow. Thanks.

(Oh, and the quick reply has magically come back...)

Chase H.,

Have you had a chance to scope out the problem yet? We'd all like to hear about it.

Chase H.,

Have you had a chance to scope out the problem yet? We'd all like to hear about it.

I'm sorry. I planned on looking, but got distracted with "Wow...the set a actually moves..." and frantically cleaning up for the band that's in the theater Tuesday. Hopefully I'll have a chance to look later in the week.

Ok! Figured it out, and it didn't cost anything to fix!

Some "bright" person somehow got some black gaff tape on the track at about stage level (we have an arbor pit). I don't know how it got there, but it's gone!

proxy.php
proxy.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back