Storage of basically everything...

JLNorthGA

We've got a nice "closet" on the stage left side (auditorium right) of our auditorium.

It currently has two large sets of shelves. The walls are cinder block.

I would like to store all of our sound equipment that is not in use in the closet. Currently the cables, microphones, speaker stands, microphone stands are in bags and luggage. The previous owner had some traveling gigs and that is why it is all somewhat "portable". Needless to say, it is sometimes difficult to lay my hands on a piece of equipment (cable or whatever).

We aren't going to be going anywhere. The equipment is there to stay. I don't really need the luggage and bags. Therefore, I would like reasonable means of access and storage.

The shelves can be used.

Best methods of storing:
Microphones
Cables
Microphone stands
Spare parts (ends, adapters, etc.)
Monitor speakers
Etc.

I've got a whole closet that is easily 10' x 10' - if not larger. Inexpensive is good. I like the idea of dowels or pegs on a board for the cables - I've got the entire outside wall for that. I was thinking Sterlite or similar containers for the microphones, unless ya'll think a small drawer unit would be better.

The only other things that will be stored in this area are spare ceiling tiles.

Last edited:
As I said in the lighting thread look into peg board for the walls. For the shelves pick up some small clear plastic totes to store items like cables. Look around for a small bin with drawers for the spare parts. Personally I would use totes that can be taken down and taken to location, and if this room will not be a workshop you may want something portable that you can take to where ever work is being done when needed. :)

I'm not sure if this would work in your situation, and I think this is what Morte615 was talking about, but I'm imagining putting all the cables into bins that can be suspended from rails built into the side walls of the cabinet (so it's no longer a pain to pull the bottom bin from a stack, since it's no longer actually a stack). After that, lots and lots of drawers for all your mics/DIs/drawer-compatible objects, a clear vertical space to lean all the mic stands, and some free floor space for the monitors.

If vertical space is at less of a premium than horizontal you could lay the mic stands horizontally across hooks/racks above the main storage space, just as long as there's 0 chance of them falling off.

I like cables on a pegboard/hook type of setup. Microphones depend on the type. If they're wireless put them in a foam drawer in the rack with your receivers. If they're nice condensers keep them in the cases that are typically supplied. Otherwise the SKB mic box works well or the EWI ones are really nice (Audiopile Pro Audio / EWI Cables and Cases). Spare parts, connectors, and adapters can go in these: Plastic Stackable Bins in Stock - ULINE. I would just stack the monitors two or three high on the ground (unless you're worried about flooding, in which case pallets are good for providing slight elevation).

The pegboard is a great idea, one I will implement myself. We did the dowls thing, which works fine, but I like the flexibility of pegboard. For mics, I have a 6 drawer file cabinet. I put a piece of Styrofoam in it suspended on the rails with holes cut out for each mic, so they hang vertically. Makes it quick and easy to grab what you need without having to un-zip a bunch of bags that who knows what is in them from the last show, and they do not bang around like they would if they where loose. so, a piece of Styrofoam from the scrap bin, cut a series of circles in it to fit around the body of the mic, but not the head, and drop them in. As for mic cables, I never thought I would ever like the idea of putting them on a large spool, but I finally agreed to try it, and now we keep most cables stored that way. The coupled XLR connectors are a pain to deal with, so a large diamater spool helps. we have an assortment loose hung on the wall, but wiring a concert or something, setting the spool at the snake and walking out cables to their locations is great!

It's not exactly the cheapest option, but if you want adjustable heavy duty cable storage you can secure lengths of Unistrut vertically to the wall. Then bolt in pipe flanges with spring nuts and thread in short lenghts of black pipe. You could use 1/2" to 3/4" pipe. You can move the flanges wherever you need them and if you need more/less length on a peg just swap out the pipe.

Cheers,
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back