strip lights - sort of

BillConnerFASTC

I'm doing a little totally free consulting for a local K-5 school who uses there stage and auditorium a lot. Would like to find an economical color toning - strip light - for two rows on stage - approx 30' wide - but 11' stage floor to ceiling (floor slab above). I don't think the Colorsource PARs will spread enough or would have to be too close together (affordable). I want something that will last so tend to shy away from the import-from-China-of-the-day products.

I think lensing for the coloursource is the same as the Desire which means you could get something akin to an XFWL beam (30x80) or 75 degree round. Still, you'd need something like 9 of them on 1 meter centers at a minimum. If you can cheat the angles or set them up as tips you could get away with 8, 2 per pipe end. I can try modelling it in Capture when I get off work if you'd find it helpful.

Well, I was just looking at two rows of 4 with the extra wide - which by ETC data is 100 degrees. That seems to work - some overlap above 6' above the floor - and considering its replacing R40s in track light cans - just three across - a suggestion of color - it might be OK. Actually 2 rows of three might make it.

I'd estimate the two lines at no more than 6' - 7' apart. Very small stage.

Subtract 1.5 feet from your throw distance for the yoke, fixture, and mounting track. I assume you'd be going with unistrut to tuck it as close to the ceiling as possible.

FWIW, I'm not seeing a 100 degree lens for the D40 but the datasheet is 2 years old. The Colorsource datasheet suggests an Xtra Wide but doesn't provide any beam or field angle information.

http://www.etcconnect.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=10737461760
https://www.etcconnect.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=10737479468

Capture Argo's emulation of ColourSource PARs on a 30' x 20' stage with 11' grid height, black walls, black floor.

2 x 4 top light - all XWR lenses
2x4 top.png

2x4 pipe ends - XWR on the short throw, MR on the long
2x4 tip.png

2s5 top light - all XWR lenses
2x5 top.png

I had both of those (well - the US versions) and I was looking at the SELLEW-7.5 7.5” Extra Wide lens.

I was just trying to calc the output of R40 strips with 250PARs in 4 colors. I didn't look really hard for rondel transmission numbers though. I came up with 3 to 4 colorsource pars per 8' strip. Sound right to you?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm doing a little totally free consulting for a local K-5 school who uses there stage and auditorium a lot. Would like to find an economical color toning - strip light - for two rows on stage - approx 30' wide - but 11' stage floor to ceiling (floor slab above). I don't think the Colorsource PARs will spread enough or would have to be too close together (affordable). I want something that will last so tend to shy away from the import-from-China-of-the-day products.

Altman Spectra Cyc ?

I plan to use recommend 8 colorsource pars out front, and something attractive about sticking with just one fixture - though I did think about replacing the track head lamps with Ketra pars. Maybe that's an answer, as I'm planning on suggesting Ketra for houselights - 26 cans with fresnel lenses, never dimmed best I can tell, and currently lamped with compact fluorescent.

Maybe check out the Showline SL Bar line, the standard is a 60 degree lens. The 500 series is one row of LEDs the 600, is a double row. They are very much a Rondel replacement. They don't have very wide coverage end to end, but I have covered lighting a 50' drape decently with as little as 6 SL Bar 640 (4' wide fixtures). The price on these is very reasonable. I'm not sure how they compare to using colorsource, but it might be worth a look.

Anyway they make a nice boarder light and a good side wash when you clamp them to a boom.

I have not used the 500 series, but it might be a better fit with only a single row of LED's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back