Installs Tempo Control for iPods

lighttechie5948

Hi guys,

I need an app for iPods to control tempo control. That's not the problem, as I've found apps to do that. I need one that supports home sharing. What can I use to do this?

Thanks,
Joe

What do you mean by home sharing? I thought that was just iTunes<->iTunes.

I think he means playing music from an iPod Touch to an AirPort Express/Extreme or an Apple TV. Or possibly to have a computer playing the music using the iPod Touch to control it.

The Remote app by Apple?

Yep. Thats what the Remote App does. It will control a computer, or an Apple TV. You would just need to have the music playing be on the computer. I suppose you could use Audacity to create a bunch of different versions of the same song and then use the app to pick a tempo you wanted on the spot. The Remote app is free.

Please baby Jesus do not run audio from an iPod! The only iPods I trust are the first gen and classics (do they still make classics?) I can't tell you how many times the iPod will be running and then pick up some wifi signal and get a text, call, or connect to a bluetooth device (I know it's not wifi)... Yes there is airplane mode, but seriously, why put your faith into a small portable device? Not to mention they can easily fall...

Please baby Jesus do not run audio from an iPod! The only iPods I trust are the first gen and classics (do they still make classics?) I can't tell you how many times the iPod will be running and then pick up some wifi signal and get a text, call, or connect to a bluetooth device (I know it's not wifi)... Yes there is airplane mode, but seriously, why put your faith into a small portable device? Not to mention they can easily fall...

what would you recommend it gets played from?

I don't know what FACTplayers would suggest, but I would say use a laptop or CD. CDs may be slowly being killed by Apple, but they are still very reliable, assuming you have a quality CD player.

PS, FACTplayers, the Classic is still made, but hasn't been updated in 713 days, but averages being updated after about 248 days.

I don't know what FACTplayers would suggest, but I would say use a laptop or CD. CDs may be slowly being killed by Apple, but they are still very reliable, assuming you have a quality CD player.

PS, FACTplayers, the Classic is still made, but hasn't been updated in 713 days, but averages being updated after about 248 days.

to be honest i think ipod in airplane mode is the most reliable. cds get scratched and damaged easily. we had a tascam rack mount cd play which arent cheap and every time someone taped the counter or anything it would jump. Computers can get just as much interference as ipods. the ipod classic is the only ipod with a hard drive in it so dont drop it.

...because Airplane mode shuts off all signals and I know it works effectively. While I hate being given people's personal electronics, I'd rather be given an iPod touch/iPhone with airplane mode on than a hard disk based player or other random MP3 player that has a funky UI.

When I am working a gig and someone hands me an iPod I know it won't be scratched (like most CD's that random groups tend to hand me).

Ultimately, I would LOVE to be given all of my files on a flash drive for me to import into my own playback software, but the ideal world rarely happens.

Ultimately, I would LOVE to be given all of my files on a flash drive for me to import into my own playback software, but the ideal world rarely happens.

Yeah...That would be great! We can only hope...

You have to consider more than just the player. Is the connection from an iPod (or like device) reliable both from the device and into the board. Okay, iPods aren't the worst, but they can be wrecked easily. Laptops do use the same jack, but the odds of knocking a laptop to the ground are much lower.

A laptop or desktop. They are both big enough that they won't get moved or fall (hopefully) which would damage both the iPod and cable (hopefully not destroying the connection in the meantime). Most people forget where the iPod is placed and bump it... While an iPod isn't a terrible choice (I agree, CDs get scratched too easily), I don't like iPods, but that's just what i've learned in the few (8+) years I've been doing this stuff.

If you want something to adjust the tempo, I strongly suggest MachineCodex :: Software : Neutrino

You have to consider more than just the player. Is the connection from an iPod (or like device) reliable both from the device and into the board. Okay, iPods aren't the worst, but they can be wrecked easily. Laptops do use the same jack, but the odds of knocking a laptop to the ground are much lower.

A laptop or desktop. They are both big enough that they won't get moved or fall (hopefully) which would damage both the iPod and cable (hopefully not destroying the connection in the meantime). Most people forget where the iPod is placed and bump it... While an iPod isn't a terrible choice (I agree, CDs get scratched too easily), I don't like iPods, but that's just what i've learned in the few (8+) years I've been doing this stuff.

If you want something to adjust the tempo, I strongly suggest MachineCodex :: Software : Neutrino

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a waste of expensive speakers to use them to play an audio format that fits in the palm of your hand because it condenses by "losing" data (I'm by no means an audio guy, correct me if that is an oversimplification or simply incorrect.)

You seem to know a TON about Apple and their products, any specific reason or do you just like them?

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a waste of expensive speakers to use them to play an audio format that fits in the palm of your hand because it condenses by "losing" data (I'm by no means an audio guy, correct me if that is an oversimplification or simply incorrect.)

You seem to know a TON about Apple and their products, any specific reason or do you just like them?

LXPlot, were you referring me to or Chausman about the Apple comment? I'm a huge Apple fan and I'm pretty sure Chausman is in the exact same boat as me. A lot of people are, in fact. Sadly, most people still debate over which is better when in truth both have advantages and drawbacks but neither is really lacking major support (as once was the case).

In a perfect world I prefer to run off a CD, with an iPod backup. I'm not a huge fan of laptops/computers since a crash means a lengthy reboot. Most CD players are close to instant, and a quality deck runs great. A deck built for playback, theater or DJ, will have a simple tempo control.

iPods, at least my last two classics, occasionally have a slight delay when playing a track. That's fine for house music, or any event that doesn't require sharp timing. It's killer for quick timed cues since the delay isn't predicable.

For the record I do use computers, but only when that's the ideal solution for a show.

In a perfect world I prefer to run off a CD, with an iPod backup. I'm not a huge fan of laptops/computers since a crash means a lengthy reboot. Most CD players are close to instant, and a quality deck runs great. A deck built for playback, theater or DJ, will have a simple tempo control.

iPods, at least my last two classics, occasionally have a slight delay when playing a track. That's fine for house music, or any event that doesn't require sharp timing. It's killer for quick timed cues since the delay isn't predicable.

For the record I do use computers, but only when that's the ideal solution for a show.

Here is a great example of why I love Macs. If the program stops responding for any reason I never have to reboot. Each program runs on its own. If a program does crash I can simply click on the icon and its launched within a few seconds.

I used to use a very expensive and nice CD deck, but there was always a delay for playing the cd. You would have to play and pause it, but it took skill to pause it without playing any part of the track/FX. Moral of my story, every solution has a drawback.

Here is a great example of why I love Macs. If the program stops responding for any reason I never have to reboot. Each program runs on its own. If a program does crash I can simply click on the icon and its launched within a few seconds.

Er.... welcome to windows xp SP3, Vista, and Win7.

I dislike the "interface" on the ipod touches for reliably controlling audio from them. I prefer the original with actually clicky buttons. I LOVE my Creative Labs "ZEN" mp3 player (the none touchy one) Nice physical buttons that i can control in the dark with out looking at it. The only grip involving itunes is the "store" where you can't buy and DL full CD bitrate music (as far as I know.)

I know there are some DJ plug in programs (multiplay or Qlab) can both respond to iPod triggered midi commands i think; those can in turn trigger a tempo up/down in command in those programs. There are two levels of programs needed, the wifi/midi app/pc program, and then the play back software itself that interprets the command. I don't know of a simple way as of yet.

I dislike the "interface" on the ipod touches for reliably controlling audio from them. I prefer the original with actually clicky buttons. I LOVE my Creative Labs "ZEN" mp3 player (the none touchy one) Nice physical buttons that i can control in the dark with out looking at it. The only grip involving itunes is the "store" where you can't buy and DL full CD bitrate music (as far as I know.)

I know there are some DJ plug in programs (multiplay or Qlab) can both respond to iPod triggered midi commands i think; those can in turn trigger a tempo up/down in command in those programs. There are two levels of programs needed, the wifi/midi app/pc program, and then the play back software itself that interprets the command. I don't know of a simple way as of yet.
Just a note: neither QLab or Multiplay have tempo-control features. They are, however, rock solid for PC-based playback (in my experience, which is mostly with QLab).

Last edited:

Good to know about Windows. I left when it was XP SP2. I got to play on Vista before the golden master was released to the public and I greatly disliked it. I have watched programs in Win7 crash which require a system reboot; however, I'm no by any means saying it can't happen on Mac.

Songs from iTunes are 160 kb/s, which I think is lower than a CD, but still pretty good. Little big known fact: you don't need to buy your music from iTunes anymore.

Just a note: neither QLab or Multiplay have temp-control features. They are, however, rock solid for PC-based playback (in my experience, which is mostly with QLab).

Just to clarify for everyone, qLab is Mac ONLY, but PC refers to any type of personal computer. ie windows, mac, linux, chrome

Songs from iTunes are 160 kb/s, which I think is lower than a CD, but still pretty good. Little big known fact: you don't need to buy your music from iTunes anymore.

Yup i buy my CD or music downloads through Amazon and just import them into Itunes. Because yes... I do have an Ipod touch 8g I received as a gift. But using it to do more then just play personal music scares me :)

And yes i was incorrect about the Tempo Control in Qlab and Multiplay, though i'd swear that one of the software playback Show Control type programs had that feature that I demo'ed a while back... Was it SCS maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back