The "Ultimate" Focus Tool

I had an adjustable-slide wrench in high school, back in the dark ages before Halogen lamps. Distributed by a long-defunct "multi-level marketing" company. I liked it, but the mechanism eventually wore and began to jamb. Although it looked black anodized, it began to rust.:(

proxy.php

I'd try a slide wrench again, IF it came in a six-inch, wide-jaw version. The current model is too big and heavy for my delicate disposition. (After all, I'm a Lighting Designer, not a Pipe-Fitter.) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used the Ultimate focus tool a lot recently and I like it, but it has drawbacks. The material it is made of is WAY to soft, it feels like an aluminum alloy, that makes it nice and light but not hard enough. Personally if they made them out of stainless steel I would buy one.

I do like the way it fits in my pocket, I have had my c-wrenches drop out and hang by my lanyard more times than I can count, but the UFT stays in my back pocket even when I am climbing.

I really like the speed it offerers in changing to different size bolts an the yoke handle socket is wonderful.

Not worth the $90, or even the $40, our theater bought 12 of them and distributed them as Christmas gifts to the full time staff, 8 of them are still in the theater as they are always attached to a crew member, the other 4 "took a walk"

I have used the Ultimate focus tool a lot recently and I like it, but it has drawbacks. The material it is made of is WAY to soft, it feels like an aluminum alloy, that makes it nice and light but not hard enough. Personally if they made them out of stainless steel I would buy one.

I do like the way it fits in my pocket, I have had my c-wrenches drop out and hang by my lanyard more times than I can count, but the UFT stays in my back pocket even when I am climbing.

I really like the speed it offerers in changing to different size bolts an the yoke handle socket is wonderful.

Not worth the $90, or even the $40, our theater bought 12 of them and distributed them as Christmas gifts to the full time staff, 8 of them are still in the theater as they are always attached to a crew member, the other 4 "took a walk"

Agreed, they are nice, but their two big drawbacks are, #1, the price, and #2, the softness of the material.

I'll stick to my adjustable c-wrench. I usually have my 6", but at one house, the ATD is now requiring everyone must show up with an 8", but also stresses that anyone who does more than finger-tightening bolts plus a 3/4 turn of a wrench, will get their fingers broken off.

I have a Black & Decker 8" AutoWrench, but I'm not pleased with it to say the least. Firstly, sitting in my tool bag, the buttons get bumped so easily that the batteries run down quickly. To fit it to a bolt you have to hold down the button to tighten it as you rotate the wrench, otherwise it will not be tight enough. My largest irritation though is that it's too loose. If you don't keep tightening it, the jaw will loosen up so easily, that if the batteries have died, using it as a conventional wrench is a PITA.

6" is all i need.;) The B&D AutoWrench seams like a huge joke. I'm not putting that thing in my pocket!

I don't carry it regularily. It sits around in my car just in case I forget my other C-Wrenches, but I otherwise never use it. It was a Christmas gift, and I didn't expect I'd use it, but figured I should at least try it out, see how it works. Not something I would spend money on, but it makes for an acceptable back-up if absolutely nothing else is available.

Mega handle around the wrist!!!!!

Mega handle around the wrist!!!!!

I have that on my keychain. It works well, but not on rusted c-clamps that have been outside for three weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back