Tracking vs. Cue-Only

Tracking vs. Cue-Only

• Total voters
ive always used cue only on the strand. it was the way i learned. i never had ml to worry about. i like the record each cue as it is. once i go away to college im sure ill use tracking but for now my mind thinks in cue only.

all this talk of [CLEAR]...that button terrifies me:oops:, i know exactly what it does, and i've used it many times, but there's always that moment of hesitation: "maybe this time i press it, it WILL erase everything!!!". i inherited this fear from my predecessor at my school. i don't know why either of us have it either, i guess it's like a fear of flying or something, something rather illogical...

sorry about the digression...

all this talk of [CLEAR]...that button terrifies me:oops:, i know exactly what it does, and i've used it many times, but there's always that moment of hesitation: "maybe this time i press it, it WILL erase everything!!!". i inherited this fear from my predecessor at my school. i don't know why either of us have it either, i guess it's like a fear of flying or something, something rather illogical...
sorry about the digression...

My fear comes from [DELETE]. [CLEAR] and I are on good terms, I've never used [SAVE] though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny thing about that, punktech. On the WholeHogII, the [Clear] button is the most used key of all. I've seen many with the printing worn completely off. By the way [Pig][Clear] reverses the action.

Most consoles have an [Undo] key. The grandMA has the [Oops] key, which one can use to undo the past twenty actions. The Light Palette asks "Are you sure?" But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Even if I did have a copy of the show file, where the hell am I going to get a spare Strand 300 before curtain?
(Yes, yes I know there are multiple good reasons for saving the show.)

Um Charc, what if the file gets corrupted but the console is fine? :doh:

SAVE save early save often!!!!

Even if I did have a copy of the show file, where the hell am I going to get a spare Strand 300 before curtain?
(Yes, yes I know there are multiple good reasons for saving the show.)

Save anyway. It's a habit you absolutely need to develop.

I believe you can take a Strand 300 file, if it's in the same format as a 500 series file, use Strand Showport to convert to USITT ASCII, then import ASCII to Expression Off-Line and convert to Express/ion format. I've done this twice as 500 files to Express/Emphasis, with success. The import changed all the times to have an Up time of XX with a down time of zero, but it was an easy fix.

Steve B.

I should slap the taste out of both of you for these quotes. Instead I will just laugh.
That assumes either of us have any taste to begin with. Gafftaper, how do you think we'd taste? I think I'd be "old and tough;" whereas Charc would be "young, tender, and juicy, but not much meat on him." Eating (cute, furry, endangered) animals IS cannibalism, but they taste sooooo good!

On the hog consoles, i program the show in tracking. When i go back to edit i take it out of tracking. I have had it change to many variables down the cue list before. Such as when there is supposed to be a spot, it now has a gobo in it. And i'm like what the hell, i just wanted a gobo in one scene, not for it to track all the way down.

On the hog consoles, i program the show in tracking. When i go back to edit i take it out of tracking. I have had it change to many variables down the cue list before. Such as when there is supposed to be a spot, it now has a gobo in it. And i'm like what the hell, i just wanted a gobo in one scene, not for it to track all the way down.
And thus we learn the importance of Hard or Block cues.

Derek I think charc is probably overcooked....I mean he does have charcoal in his name

Good advice, TimMiller. Even (especially) on a tracking console [Q-only] is a good friend. Of course, if you have proper blocking cues([pig][record], All-Fade, CleanUP, whatever your console calls them) your unwanted changes won't get Too Far out of hand.

:oops: I knew some-things shouldn't be admitted online...

I'll go get some floppies... They're reusable, right? Shouldn't be too hard for me to archive the show after major changes.

Back to topic:

Tim, I think that's great advice, especially for a situation like mine, where one person (might) be thinking in tracking, while the other thinks in cue-only.

Also another trick i do is save constantly, but every time i save i rotate out around about 3 disks, so i have a level of undo incase of a console crash, or a major oops. I usually get my patch done and save that to a disk. That disk gets set aside and possibly filed, dep ond venue and show, and how much of their house instruments i am using. I then stick in my second disk and begin to program the show. After a cue or two, or while there is a little time i save the show. I the swap out disks and begin rotating them. After the show is programmed and ready, i then save the show across all three disks incase on fails. I keep two under the console and one in the truck.

After the show opens I like to burn a CD with the show file on it. Even if the board can not read CDs. In my experience floppys will die at the drop of a hat but CDs will last forever. Luckily our sound cue computer has both types of drives so getting the data back on a floppy disk is easy.

Taking us back a few posts on account of yesterday (sunday) was an awesome ski day here, and up at Snowbird I think I skied in snow above me knees all day!

I much prefer the undo key in that type of situations. I might have them change 9 things, then its as simple as undo... blah blah blah...
Undo does not "release" channels as-it-were. You will notice that when you use the Undo button, at least on a Strand, the channel will go back to it's previous lever, but will remain in red, thus, if you were to say hit the GO button, the channel would not move.

So if I have a channel grabbed and hit [Shift], that is the same as "releasing a channel"? Doesn't [Clear] do the same thing? What is the difference, especially with [Shift] [Clear]? How do these interact with tracking? Does one just stop "holding" the channel, and the other lets it go, and revert back to it's previously recorded(or tracked) level?
Sorry to drag this off topic slightly.
[SHIFT][CLEAR] is different than [CLEAR] alone. By default [SHIFT][CLEAR] will clear the entire command line, useful. If the command line is clear then hitting [SHIFT][CLEAR] will "release" any captured channels, meaning that any channel that was turned red will go back to a normal color (though I think the usually go back to cyan). This means that when you hit GO everything will fade to it's next level.

Oh, and charc, I am with everyone: SAVE YOUR SHOWS. Even if you don't go to floppy, I would recommend saving a new showfile to the hard drive each day you work on it. That way you can always go back a day, and if the newest file gets corrupted you only loose a day's work, not the entire show.

Taking us back a few posts on account of yesterday (sunday) was an awesome ski day here, and up at Snowbird I think I skied in snow above me knees all day!
I hate you.
I'm stuck in Florida missing the best ski days of the past 28 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back