Transporting Audio Equipment

Hi! So I'm working for a touring company, and we bring everything with us. We currently carry our audio mixer in a ...beat up cardboard box. :(
So we're looking to replace that with... A -new- cardboard box.

I'm trying to make a case for buying an actual road case (just something to add some protection to the board). I mean, common sense tells me that having a road case is a much better and safer option than using a cardboard box, BUT I need facts in order to have any leverage.

Any help in the persuasion department would be quite helpful!

A few things about our tour-

we tour around the state with a two shows that go to schools, so as far as sound equipment, they we bring the board, input, and two powered speakers.

We also tour two shows a year to theatres in the region, which we bring another board, a computer, and mics with us.

The boards we take are relatively small. The one that goes to schools is an 8-channel somethingoranother, while the other board is a 16-channel Yamaha ProMix.

I would say that roadcases being more water resistant would be one major plus. They are also more crush/stab resistant.

I guess it comes down to "just because it is protected by cardboard doesn't mean it's protected". If something sharp fell on top of the cardboard box, it could stab right through to the mixer. Roadcases are also easier to handle (handles, wheels) and they look more professional.

When it comes to protection, if the mixer is well-protected in styrofoam, it will probably survive the same fall vs a roadcase. Only problem is that the box is permanently compromised after that single fall and will never again have the same strength it started with.

All great points. Hadn't even thought of the water resistant part.

Are there any good, affordable cases that I could look into to get a price point?

Sometimes you can type your mixer model number in to eBay and those cheap "roadie" cases pop up. They're not the best in the world, but they're cheap and offer some protection. I've been lugging my 88-key (~70 lb) Kurzweil keyboard around in one for years. That said, the walls are only 1/4" thick and the padding inside is minimal.I don't think I would throw it on an airplane or FedEx truck in that case. The back of my car, yes.

You could also look in to a place that builds cases on a custom basis like Calzone or Kangaroo, but I don't know what the prices are like. I just got a quote from Calzone for a case and it was like $500 (but it's a large, odd case). Still waiting to hear back from Kangaroo.

You might be able to find a standard case that can be made to work. If it's a few inches larger on all sides, that's great because you can add a lot of foam. The more the better!

You might take a look at the cases from Audiopile.net.
http://www.audiopile.net/ One of the briefcases might work for the small mixer and the price isn't too bad.

On tour the killers are vibration and dust, the styrofoam has little vibration dampening and the cardboard box is not dustproof and the cumulative time wasting of packing it back into a box and taping it up you do not need.With dust and vibration your mixer is going to get unreliable, not what you want on tour.

Take into consideration how you move the consoles between locations. If thrown in someone's trunk, you'll probably only make things harder by using a nice road case that surely won't fit in that trunk any more without taking up 2x or 3x as much space.

However, if the consoles are riding in the back of a truck where things are bouncing around and liable to fall over on each other, a road case will keep a console alive much longer. There's something to be said for being excellent at packing a truck so things don't fall on each other or slide around, but you don't always have the straps, load, or attachment points in the truck that you'd like for making that happen.

Update: so I approached my supervisor today with the question of "Are we eventually going to look into purchasing a roadcase" and the answer was an immediate "no."
What with budgets being what they are, there is apparently no room to spare. Of course, I don't get to see these budget lines- but that's also not my job.

The woes of being a sound technician.

Is there any chance you could afford a sheet of plywood, a couple of hinges, a latch, and some foam? It'd be better than nothing, and I bet you could come up with something that would serve your purposes for $50 or so.

Then screw 'em. It's not yours. Let them see what happens and make sure you're there to say, "I told you so."

Somewhere in there should be a politely phrased disclaimer, "I won't be responsible for any damages that may occur to unprotected equipment."

could always find a Plastic Tote from Walmart and pack it with some foam or old blankets. Would keep the dust and water out, and would be nominaly more secure then a cardboard box.

We have had the same problem at the school where I work as "Technology Teacher / ICT Support," which for me involves touring about once a month (sometimes more) with the school's Fiddle Band, with all the fixings to run a show. The only outboard I use is a Graphic EQ, and that is coddled as best as possible under the back seat of the truck. It belongs to the school, and I have had to do work on it a few times because of being banged around under the seat--even though I try my best to protect it.

Our solution to no road cases has been to get our crackerjack Maintenance folks at the school to build us wooden road cases for school gear. Those are lined with foam, sized to our gear, and are at least better than a cardboard box. Now … we do travel on gravel roads up here, and I have found the cases are not as dust-proof as I might like. I have been using a Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro, which is mine (personal gear) and which I bought used. This has an "Air Canada Cargo Proof" box which I made when I moved it out here on the plane after I bought it. I built this out of particle board, and it has held up well. It does weigh a ton, though. I have, after several years of this kind of use, retired my board from "school use" and have started using the school's Mackie 24.4. I did this because the vibration is causing the screws on my Mackie to come loose--I keep finding random screws floating in the road case. I just figured it was time for the school to start using their own board, since they now have their own board. Aside from which, we have outgrown our 16 channels. Since doing this, we realized that there is no road case for the 24.4 … Ooops! I transported it last time by wrapping it in spare dog blankets from the house and very carefully wedging it into the trailer. Tech, my dog, was very fascinated by the large object being wrapped in his blankies and was intent on smelling it very carefully.

So … investigate building or having your scenery folks build a box. It is not ideal, but it works better than cardboard. (My rental company out here has a special name for those cardboard "road cases". It is not PC, so I won't repeat it here.)

a road case is just a box with latches, same plywood and everything. The only difference is metal excursions and a PVC cover. You can seal the lids using rubber tubing (would help keep dust out).

A cardboard box just keeps the dust off. And does a poor job with that. I would recommend a rack case of your mixer is rack mountable. If not you can find many mixer cases. An actual flight case looks more professional and protects your mixer from dust, water, and fall damage. It also will make it Easier to move around with handles and wheels. Just type your mixers model number into google and add the words road case or flight case. I would highly recommend road ready cases. They make amazing cases and I use them with all of my equipment.

Update: so I approached my supervisor today with the question of "Are we eventually going to look into purchasing a roadcase" and the answer was an immediate "no."
What with budgets being what they are, there is apparently no room to spare. Of course, I don't get to see these budget lines- but that's also not my job.

The woes of being a sound technician.
Can you find a larger case that you could put it into at least for crush protection, still not as good as it's own case but an improvement

Users who are viewing this thread

Back