Turn off the Dark can't catch a break

Grog12

CBMod
CB Mods
Premium Member
Just did some rough math based on the 1 million/week running costs... Running the typical 8 shows a week @ 125 dollars a seat, it is going to take 87 weeks of fully sold out shows for them to break even. If these are issues they are having on an installed show, there is no way this thing is going to be taken out on the road at even a 1/3 of the level. From the sound of it, without the effects this show does not have much to offer.

Now, I will be down in the city the first day this opens: Book of Mormon

If these are issues they are having on an installed show, there is no way this thing is going to be taken out on the road at even a 1/3 of the level. From the sound of it, without the effects this show does not have much to offer.

It should be an arena style show in the same vein as Walking With Dinosaurs.

Now, I will be down in the city the first day this opens: Book of Mormon

Seriously? I found the South Park episode was hilarious, but this seems beyond bad taste. I can't imagine a long run for this show. You can probably do it at the local community theater by next season (if anyone wants to that is).

Any info on the concussion? It says she sustained a concussion from a rope. I just can't see how that happens.

Any info on the concussion? It says she sustained a concussion from a rope. I just can't see how that happens.
I don't either but anything that can go wrong will go wrong. Even if it is something as stupid as a rope.

I personally think they are taking the google approach to producing shows on Broadway and keep the show in Beta forever. Right now, they are running previews and selling the show out in previews. They tell the audience something might cause them to stop and restart. Therefore, when something does break people don't freak out. Kind of like google does with all of its products. You can use it, you can pay for it, but if it breaks don't come crying to them. Added to that, people are going all Nascar like on the show and wanting to see something blow up and if it does not they are upset. So, they might just keep this thing in previews forever. If it sells, it sells.

About time! ;)

But yeah, that was a very informative/interesting article. Managed to be general enough for non-theatre people but still provide insights into how they run the show. Interesting about splitting up the calls between both of them, as well as calling from the lower balcony/flying circle.

There's a LOT of unintentional hilarity in that article, Derek. Thanks. For those of y'all that haven't been around lots (or even a little) automation, that whole "space shuttle control" line is absolutely true. My wee little 2-axis automation takes up two full monitors of data alone just for me when I'm at the console, plus I have THREE spotters to call "stop" if needed: one standing next to me at the home position, one on the opposite end with an e-stop pendant, and one FOH.

Assistant stage manager Jenny Slattery, who works beneath the stage, says, "The flying is scary, but every aspect of it is very controlled. But once that hole is in the floor, there are actors not attached to anything running near it. I don't think you can stand above it or below (the pit) and watch somebody approaching it at speed and not feel a little clench."

This is my favorite part: "The flying is....very controlled". Haha.
Or maybe not, allegedly.

Having walked toward enough open elevator pits in my life (in blackout, with ground fog...), you're darn right you clench up.
I'd still rather be up in the air than on deck, all things being equal.

So say a prayer for these poor b*stards, gang. They are gonna need every bit of the theater gods help to make this happen and...wait for it...get home safely.
Just like all of you should. Every day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back