What kind of C-clamp should I buy?

FlashBang

So, it's that time of year that I get to submit my list of requested goodies to purchase come summertime. One of the items high up on my list are new C-clamps (current ones are rusted to hell and worn down from being "adjusted" by force and not a wrench).

There seem to be quite a few varieties, and I have no idea what to look at.

Suggestions?

(I should note, I'm hanging Source4s, Source4 Pars, PAR 38s, standard fresnels)

So, it's that time of year that I get to submit my list of requested goodies to purchase come summertime. One of the items high up on my list are new C-clamps (current ones are rusted to hell and worn down from being "adjusted" by force and not a wrench).

Suggestions?

Not C clamps. Something like this perhaps? Mega-Claw

Mega-clamps should have a spring washer (I always thought they were called pan washers) between the fixture and clamp, which allows the fixture to pan because there's a bit of flex in there. The problem is that when the washer gets lost, it gets replaced infrequently, and with the wrong washer. I prefer the old fashioned c-clamp ETC/Elec Theatre Controls 400cc C-Clamp for Source Four for S4 ellipsoidals and pars. If you're clamping onto aluminum truss, you need a truss condom, etc. or the bolt will nick the aluminum.

Not to the O.P. necessarily but anyone reading this. Not sure if it is common practice or known everywhere, but at least on the truss we own, the use of C clamps will void the warranty on the truss and it will not pass an eventual inspection.

After we added trusses I got rid of every C clamp in the house just to be safe.

Phil

ugh I hate megaclamps.... just go for the original kind and don't over tighten them....

... One of the items high up on my list are new C-clamps (current ones are rusted to hell and worn down from being "adjusted" by force and not a wrench). ...
I have to say that replacing C-Clamps would be quite low on my budgetary priority list. "Rusted to hell" can be easily addressed, and I'm not sure what "worn down from being adjusted..." means. Parts can be replaced: http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/10437-c-clampery.html#post115264 , for significantly less than the cost of a new clamp.

If you feel you must must replace rather than repair/refurbish, for use on pipe either the ETC 400CC or the Mega-clamp, depending on personal preference. If for use on aluminum truss, a half-coupler. I personally dislike the trigger clamp, and feel the ~$30 Mega-Claw is overkill for a conventional.

From taking a look at that thread, and reexamining the C-Clamps, it seems my main problem is just worn down pan screws (from being overtightened and then often getting refocused using brute force).

At $0.16/ea, that'll leave some more budget for the more "fun" things.

Thanks Derek, and everyone, for the helpful comments.

I would take a closer look at the stud/shaft. That is the softest piece of hardware on a c clamp and often becomes damaged from technicians first over tightening the pan bolt and then panning the fixture without loosening either the pan or yoke bolt. This carves grooves in the stud.

Perhaps it is just me imagining things but ETC clamps seem less susceptible to stud grooving.

Suggestions?

C-Clamp or coupler, the Light Source has the best (American Made) product. Their Mega-Clamp (C-Clamp) will be the most cost effective option; although, the Mega-Claw is a very nice product too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back