What lamp is this???

AppollSauce

RRHS Fresnel Lamp.JPG

I had a customer bring this lamp in today to order some replacements. He says he is using it in a Fresnel but can't figure out who manufactured it or it's model. He thought it was a BTN lamp but after looking at the size I don't think that's right as his lamp is 165mm or 6.5" and the BTN is supposed to be 112mm. Also the picture I have seen for a BTN doesn't look exactly like this lamp. The lamp has no visible markings. I had one of my repair techs check it and he said it's 120v and somewhere in a 750w-1000w range. That is all the info I have on this at the moment. Does anyone have any idea what this might be?

Ah, I have a stock of these at work. Let me have one of the guys grab the Osram part number tomorrow.

We used to use these in some Altman Fersnels, possibly the Altman 165Q?

Edit: I'm pretty sure it's replacement is the OSRAM 54690 as mentioned above.

BVT is the standard mogul prefocus base, 1000W lamp for Altman 75Q and 175Q 8" Fresnel instruments. Also used in other 8" Fresnels from Strand, Colortran, and others.
You are correct. We did use 1000W lamps, so they must have been the 75Q or 175Q. We took them down a couple of years ago to standardize our lamp inventory to HPL 575/750, and that was when I first started there...

I am always impressed by the wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Thank you all for the info. I was also informed that it may be an Osram BVV 54691. The BVT and BVV are very similar, the main differences are bulb type, lamp hours, lumen rating and color temperature, at least according to Lampline (their info may be incorrect.. one lamp is a t6 bulb type and the other is a t7 bulb type, but they both show the same dimensions. According to the diagram found here http://www.bulbs.com/learning/shapesandsizes.aspx I would assume the t6 would be longer than the t7). I'm trying to get my customer to get the exact make and model of his Fresnel so we can make sure we get the right lamp, but if he can't get that info than I am pretty sure one of these lamps will work. Thanks again!

... I would assume the t6 would be longer than the t7). ...
Incorrect assumption. The "T" means Tubular (as opposed to G for Globular, or PS for Pear-Shaped, etc) and the number following is the maximum DIAMETER of the envelope, in eighths of an inch. Thus the T6 is 0.75" and the T7 is 0.875", inconsequential in a Fresnel and almost every other place. The only time I've seen the Tx matter is fitting an FEL-family lamp through the axial hole in an ERS. Years ago, I think it was Thorn, made a lamp too large to fit through the hole in Altman 360Q. (Thorn no longer makes lamps/was bought out by another manufacturer.)

As to BVT vs. BVV, it's a question of life vs. intensity/color temperature. If the client has multiple fixtures, he needs to pull all the others and check those. Since both lamps initially cost the same/similar, why choose a 200 hour vs. a 500 hour lamp, unless the extra lumens are absolutely required?

Always wondered who came up with the idea of measuring things in 1/8's of an inch! Must drive those on the metric system nuts!
There's 12 eggs in a dozen,
but 3 feet in a yard,
and 4 quarts in a gallon,
and 16 ounces in a pound,
and 8 (somethings) in an inch! (in the lamp world)

Which reminds me, we never even named what that measurement is called!

2x4s aren't measured at all. They're 1-5/8 x 3-5/8 (unless they're pre-about 1950s ish) and they Just Work. :)

Sent from my SPH-L720

Well, nowadays 2x4s are reallly 1-1/2 x 3-1/2. Been that way in the US since the '70s. (I know; they USED to be 1-5/8 x 3-5/8, but I guess the lumber companies figured framers were unable to handle 8ths.) (Or they wanted a few extra pieces out of the log.) :)

Isn't nominal sizing wonderful? Let's us call things that really aren't what they are..

And on #7, someone didn't check their fit tables for a clearance fit.

I heard that 2x4's are actually that size when they're cut, but later shrink in the kiln. Not confirmed, but I read it on the internet so it must be true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is that original 2x4s were rougher cut. The shrinking while drying occurs but is pretty negligible and the dimension change came about when mills realized they could plane them to a smoother product and still be as structurally sound.

If anybody wants to delve in and read 59 pages of stuff this covers the history http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/miscpub_6409.pdf

/derailment

Via tapatalk

My understanding is that original 2x4s were rougher cut. The shrinking while drying occurs but is pretty negligible and the dimension change came about when mills realized they could plane them to a smoother product and still be as structurally sound.

If anybody wants to delve in and read 59 pages of stuff this covers the history http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/miscpub_6409.pdf

/derailment

Via tapatalk
2x4s were really 2"x4" originally (seen LOTS of them in very old houses during renos), but they were just rough lumber not cured etc like they are now. Literally cut down, sawn, and sent off to be built with. The reason we call today's lumber 2x4 is because of building code. Today's 2x4 SPF is rated the same (more or less) than 2x4s of the day. Or at least that is the reason why explained to me from multiple different sources in the past.
I've seen a LOT of old houses with lathe and plaster removed. Kinda makes you wish they still built with the same attention to detail and designed to last and be repairable as they did "back in the day". Todays housing is generally meant to be torn down after around 100-or-so years.

Very small world in our Equipment Manager based off last year's inventory asked me to see some BVT lamps I had in stock to sell to someone today. Very enterprising Mr. appollsauce in a great job of finding the lamps. Once did that with FGK lamps I believe and it was both fun and a lot of leg work. Done well in this search, Don't Bulbs of course but at that $$$...

BVT

Osram/Sylvania #54690

BVT

Ushio #1000091

BVT

G.E. #12554

BVT

Wiko

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Last I knew Wiko as also making this lamp and might be a lead in either direct or thru them trackiing their accounts - potential sources in getting more. Ushio might also still make the lamp or it's old notes. The lamp in the photo is as what it is in an early lamp. Posted lots of examples of lamps from the 60's that were direct halogen replacements for the incandascent version. A lot of space made up by way of long expensive porcelain body to the lamp. Such halogen capsule lamps needed a smlller size and manufacturers used all kinds of ways to basically jack up the lamp to it's seat height. Many of them are very Art Deco like displayed in the photo. Could be worth some money even in failed condition.

Most likely this lamp is in halogen lamp to replace an incandescent 1M/G40PSP by GE #22203. Not sure where I got this information on lamp from but the specifications of the lamp check out in what will have been the lamp in a BVT halogen upgrade replaces. Must be an amazing fixture you are getting lamps for and it might even be better to get the origional G-40 lamp for it - though I have never seen one and I have seen most all antique lamps. Warning... don't try to ship such a lamp to you unless re-fiilmented as it might just break in shipping. Last time I bought an antique lamp it came complete with broken filament due to shipping. This a caution in general for new or used lamps on the shelf also as they could have have had a gravity effect. Might be fine but probably in general won't last as per lamp hour specifications. New/used at that point if the filament survives shipping and the fixture works again... count that as a win. Turn it on and off and don't other than on a dimmer once in a while try it again. AKA Don's Bulbs worth of any lamps you might find. But check out Ebay also perhaps for the lamp.

There is hopefully still a website still called Antiqe Bulb Collector's Forum or was it Antique Lamp Collector's Forum. Them guys can best advise about such lamps and even re-filament old lamps.

Last edited:
Always wondered who came up with the idea of measuring things in 1/8's of an inch! Must drive those on the metric system nuts!
There's 12 eggs in a dozen,
but 3 feet in a yard,
and 4 quarts in a gallon,
and 16 ounces in a pound,
and 8 (somethings) in an inch! (in the lamp world)

Which reminds me, we never even named what that measurement is called!

What makes this even worse, is that the European way of defining lamps is to do the diameter in millimeters, So for them, T8 is 8 mm diameter. For us, T8 is 8/8ths (1") diameter. My company suffers from massive confusion because half of our product is made in Europe, so none of my dimensions are consistent to the confusion of our customers.

BVT is the standard mogul prefocus base, 1000W lamp for Altman 75Q and 175Q 8" Fresnel instruments. Also used in other 8" Fresnels from Strand, Colortran, and others.

The medium prefocus base, 750W BTN is used in many/most 6" Fresnels.

BZZZ! What SHOULD be used in most 6" fresnels is my** BTH lamp-- 575W, 115V, and almost the same output as the BTN! Brighter, Whiter (high Color temp of an HPL/GLC), and lower wattage so you can put 4 on a dimmer! Anyone with a 6" fresnel should be using this lamp as it's quite frankly AWESOME. It's just a GLC in a p28s (Medium Prefocus) base. WAY brighter than a BTL for only 75 more watts. Almost as bright as a BTN and 175 fewer watts!

**I call it "my" BTH lamp as I invented it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back