What to do with retired Skycycs?

Chris Chapman

I'm getting ready to replace my tried and true Altman SkyCycs for a set of ETC Selador Vivid-R's for cyc color washing. Now my only quandry is what to do with the skycycs? I "could" build feet for them and convert them into ground row units, but they are kind of big for that application. Same goes for using them as sides on trees. Though they would kick out a ton of coverage that way, but none of it is focus-able.

When I retire the skycycs, I get an entire Electric back to hang dedicated side and down light upstage, where my rep plot badly needs it.

Any thoughts?

Sell them?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

There is an "issue" with us liquidating gear. I kid you not. I have to go through a stupid Public Surplus Auction house. I'm being prevented from finding customers for gear we need to liquidate, can you believe that?

Any way to trade them? In the school district I work for, buying used items is iffy, but trading for them has never been looked down on. I know I'd be interested in some more sky cycs.

Keep them as work lights? Buy single yoke arms for them and deploy as needed?

Or maybe you might need them as cyc/drop lights again some day, or if you use the Seladors as a ground row, or to work as floods if you ever get an Opera trained designer in there.

Those are the kind of light that it is nice to have around for pinch situations. They work great as extra houselights, or strong backlights (or front) for a scrim. Judging by the fact that you are replacing them with those Seladors, you probably have a pretty nice inventory to work with, and may not need them. But it is hard to argue with having a few extra fixtures around.

Greenville Michigan? Is that the performing arts center that shares space with a High School? I saw Debrah Henson-Conant there years ago.

Greenville Michigan? Is that the performing arts center that shares space with a High School? I saw Debrah Henson-Conant there years ago.

Yup, that's us. She was a blast to work with. Sadly we don't get many tours/roadshows like that anymore. Our sponsors dried up when the economy tanked and our few local corporations either closed or left the country.

I will gladly take almost any lighting gear you might have. We've got access to a truck, and if I can easily get to you I'll most certainly take them! We're always looking for additional gear for our various rehearsal spaces around the college. AND you and write it off as a tax donation

Also a high school based theater company I work with in Wetsern MA would gladly take anything in that area as well.

problem is public bought equipment can't leave a building without it going to city surplus first. so TK2k sorry but I don't think you'll get them without going to an auction.

Honestly if you aren't going to use them at all I'd say surplus them. get them out of your hair. I currently am sitting on 600+ feet of hemp rope because the old TD decided to keep it and now I have to wait till next year to surplus the crap.

problem is public bought equipment can't leave a building without it going to city surplus first. so TK2k sorry but I don't think you'll get them without going to an auction.

Honestly if you aren't going to use them at all I'd say surplus them. get them out of your hair. I currently am sitting on 600+ feet of hemp rope because the old TD decided to keep it and now I have to wait till next year to surplus the crap.

EWwwwwwwww! Manilla can (NOT) kiss my buttocks.

Seriously, as others have suggested, keep a few as worklights and as super wide front light (have you seen them with some opaque diffusion and a medium and a dark blue; it is beautiful). They are honestly worth about as much as the paper the check or bills will be printed on if sold (OK, a little more, but not much).

We have been playing around with different Architectural lighting washes in our 2 theater spaces. A wash of color in the ceiling above our black box grid makes for some pretty cool looking effects for parties and such. All of our ceilings are flat black, and in most cases really high, so throwing some light up there makes the space look different every once in a while. People really seem to like it.

And another benefit, the nice coating of dust on everything up there looks pretty neat when it has a colored light hitting it. :)

create a 'film department' and let those guys destroy them, and then you can replace/update your inventory due to the negligence of other departments :)

create a 'film department' and let those guys destroy them, and then you can replace/update your inventory due to the negligence of other departments :)

Film & Photographers love Skycycs. Great to have around if you ever have a photo shoot in your space (I speak from experience on that).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back