Where to start to build a booth?

Yes, we would use carpet.

And I will talk to the electrician and have him to some real work if we have to get him in there : P I'll see if he can get us say, four outlets on two circuits. And those outlets the only thing on the circuit. I have never really checked, but the two outlets we currently use must be on their own circuits, we have our sound board, light board, mixer, and 8 wireless mic receivers one two outlets.

Yeah, I just thought of that, We would need to move the DMX input into the platform as well, don't think the wire just coming out of the booth would look to good.

As for sound, there are no outlets or anything. We have 8 wireless mic receivers that plug directly into the board, and then everything else that is plugged into the board runs into a snake which travels across the floor, straight up the wall, straight over to the side of the wall, straight down the length of the house to the stage, down the wall, up along the edge of the stairs, then along the edge of the wall and backstage and then it stops at its little cart, then out of the cart comes all the same wires that plug into the amps.

I wouldn't necessairaly move the DMX jack (though you can if you want.) I'd just build a trough into the platform (maybe 4" wide x 2" deep) with a removable cover. You could just drop your snake and DMX cable in the trough, which would get them from the back wall to under your table/work surface in a clean manner.

Yeah, instead of ripping up the wall, I think I will just sort of, with some connectors, make an outlet for the dmx inside the booth, but have the wire still coming from the wall but have it sort of a permanent connection, not sure if you know what I mean.

A trough would be good, Will incorporate it into the design, would give more room to roll around. Only two things in the trough would be the snake and dmx wire but I suppose its still better then them just going across the floor.

If you have a raised platform make sure you use carpet.
What does carpeting do? It's not necessarily a bad thing and is often the most cost effective floor finish but I'm not sure how it relates to a raised platform.

Millbury, you might want to think a bit more on a "big picture" level. Maybe what you described is how you currently have the wiring setup and how you use the Auditorium now, but are you building something that supports the future or that might require being torn up to add a network connection or a few wires? Is this an opportunity to plan to improve the snake situation or any other existing issues and incorporate that long term planning into what you are doing now? Think of how the booth fits into any other potential improvements and not just as an independent project.

To expand on museav's thought, I find that there are several things that would normally cost $$$, but since you are dealing with a related widget only cost $ during the remodel (I hope this makes sense). One example is electrical maintenance - it can be dangerous when the power's on, but if the power is down for remodeling it becomes a little safer.

Museav,
I think carpeting will reduce creaking? Not sure.
Also, other things that could come of this booth would be that we would probably permanently install the snake into some kind of tubing, we take it down every year and set it up at the beginning of the next. Mainly for security reasons so, since the school is only being cleaned during the summer.
Anyways, besides just because you know, we would like to have it, not everything needs a point you know? Whats the point in getting an iPod instead of an mp3 player? Because you want it : )
So,
Because we would like to have it.

Would permanently install the snake.

Add security.

Would feel more safe if the DMX input and light boards power is somewhere safe, ie, in the booth area where only I and the SM would be. ( I was holding my breathe when some guy asked if he could plug in his camera to the same outlet as the board was plugged into. This was when if our board was shutoff we would lose the system, some of you might recall me speaking of this before.)

Would provide the people coming to shows the freedom of using the rear crossover, as it is blocked off because it is our control area.

I'm sure this is more : )

Would provide future lighting and sound technicians a more professional work station.

tjrobb, I sort of don't understand the first part, and of course power would be shut off.

I usually use carpet to deaden the thumping not creaking.

Carpet, an often more the any pad, will typically help with the higher frequency 'click' or 'tap' components, sounds common to concrete or brick as well wood structures. However, carpet usually provides little reduction in low frequency 'thumps' or for any mechanical creaking, squeaking, etc. caused by a load being applied to a framed structure. It also won't do anything for any echo or reverberance occurring within the cavity below the deck.

I agree the carpet doesn't stop the hollowness of a platform, insulation will help, but it keeps some of the footstep noise, chairs rolling or scraping and other ambient noises that vinyl or other surface wouldn't.

Which is what I was referring to. To completely deaden the sound of the platform, I'm sure a search on the scenic forum will have plenty of information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back