Which Stage Tool? - Poll

Which Stage Tool Do You Prefer?

• Altman Stage Wrench ($15 MSRP)

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Adjustable Wrench a.k.a. C-Wrench, Crescent Wrench ($15-35 MSRP)

Votes: 83 70.9%
  • Standard Stage Tool ($40 MSRP)

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Ultimate Focus Tool ($75 MSRP)

Votes: 15 12.8%
  • Other- Please describe, link photo, $___ MSRP, and Why

Votes: 8 6.8%

• Total voters

Kelite

Senior Account Executive
Premium Member
Having spent quality time loading in and out of tradeshows and the like, I've found several tools in use along the way. Which do YOU use/recommend, and why?

1) Altman Stage Wrench ($15 MSRP)

2) Adjustable Wrench a.k.a. Crescent, C-Wrench ($10-55 MSRP)

3) Standard Focus Tool ($40 MSRP)

4) Ultimate Focus Tool ($90 MSRP)

5) Other

Attachments

• clip_image002.jpg
    clip_image002.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 510
I generally carry an adjustable wrench, becuse it's good for more than lights, and it's what I grew up with. However, I also carry a Mega-Combo wrench, because it's small, light, and was free from my local supplier :)

So I guess it was time for this topic to come up again. Also, my two favorite aren't on the poll.

For hang, I prefer a good old fashioned c-wrench. It's sturdy, I can hit things with it, and it allows for more flexibility on the job. It seems like just when I've used the newest or most outdated equipment, someone pulls something else out of a closet, and it's usually covered in unusual bolts that no standardized wrench has ever seen.

That being said, for the last couple shows once everything was up and hanging I've been switching to Footer's Ultimate Focus Tool, and it's definitely worth every penny. For one, it's lighter and smaller than my c-wench, so I can carry it without bashing it into everything or tearing the back pocket out of my shorts. (A serious issue.) But also it's great for focusing, (hence, the name.) Generally during focus you're touching the same 3 or 4 bolts, so you don't necessarily need the flexibility of a c-wrench, and since I don't have to constantly adjust my wrench for size I can be quicker in the air. Plus it's got a wrench for those nasty Altman tilt knobs, who's stickiness is the bane of my very existence.

I know the price tag on the Focus tools is a little formidable, but if you often find yourself in a genie or balancing up top of a ladder during focus, I think you'll find that the speed that it affords you makes it worth every penny.

Sorry for the infomercial. Now, let's take a quick break, and I'll show you how the Ultimate Focus Tool can also be a lifesaver in the kitchen!

I am old school and use a C wrench most of the time. The Altman wrench is handy, and there is a flat version that I don't know who makes. For moles and other things the use cheeseburough clamps that need to be tight, a cheeseburough socket is a great tool. I have never tried the ultimate focus tool but it looks like a good tool. Luckily I cause things to be focused more than I focus these days.

The ultimate focus tool is a great thing to have around, but I have found that if you have people that over-tighten everything (like at a High School or some College theater programs), it tends to be softer than the material used to make the bolts and gets stripped down a bit.

I've got a lot of focus toys, including a motorized C-wrench, and none work as well as a standard 6 or 8 inch wrench. Period.

Grog12 said it best.

I've got an Altman, a Mega-Combo, a Clamp Stick Wrench, and I'm sure one day i'll have a UTF as well. Each have their own value, but you know what? I always grab the c-wrench first. My 6" wide-jaw c wrench.

6" wide jaw C-wrench for me.

I wish there was something like a mega combo but with a 5"-6" handle. Designed for those of us who only use the same three bolts over and over. Seems to me there would be a good market for this too. The Mega combo is exactly what I want but it's too small. Give me the same thing in a slightly longer body... don't charge $100 for it:rolleyes:... and I'll be first in line to purchase.

For me the insulated handle 8" C-Wrench is the best tool for all cases but I don’t do shows these days much less for a few years have not at this point. Never heard of some of the choices in tool nor useful to at least for me. Got another crew chief that says those with tool bags full of them sweep the floor instead of install the gear. This granted most of our gear is either provided for in tools needed such as truss bolt or wing nut for truss in not mostly needing a tool, thus those using tools could damage the gear provided for the tour from c-wrench bending said wing nut to someone getting more advanced in “good idea” yet really bad idea in the end especially if they don’t ask first as often the case.

This granted its more touring in and out and onto the next place experience and gear so simplified that nobody IA or not IA dependant on crew or city should be able to screw it up which has taken years upon years to sufficiently simplify. (Deleted comment on pay verses serious screw ups at times.) A replacement wing arm eyebolt for a cheseborough costs at bulk 100x dealer cost $4.25 each color. Where possible in not being a structural or serious problem given a three minute repair rule for each when not structural to the bolt, if a ding to the threads on the outside of the threads that is not holding weight, the tread file is used, otherwise literally hundreds of swing arm wing screw eye bolts per year are replaced which also requires lots of time in doing so. Largest problem is not some packing in a road case of them and the dings from it, it’s someone using their 6" un-insulated bent steel 5/16" T-Handle used to unlock coffin locks on road cases to dog down the cheseborough while also screwing up the threads of the bolt in my opinion.

In such cases where its necessary to dog down a cheseborough wing nut, there is both gear on the market that is made to do so and I even make special tools cut out of a ½" square nut T-wrench with a groove in it for the wings of the wing nut that work well in doing so without damaging threads. Primary question of course if one needs to dog down a Gr.2 at best wing nut over finger tight and how to otherwise either do so properly with tool or come up with another rigging option for the fixture. Concept also... ask first in doing so before doing so often not done. Got those T-Handles requiring me to cut a groove in them with worm drive Skill Saw and metal cutting bit with T-Handle in a vise and a bit more refinement after that after the cut. Works well on a wing nut in a way similar to the 8" C-wrench in my opinion something learned in proper tension known on a bolt. 6" C-Wrench could get proper tension but all a question of training as something new to what’s the norm in torque.

Still though that’s all normal application, on stage I think the other tools might be more useful. For a tour, I think bring the tools and park or chain them to a corner because what most often is required is provided or not required more than your proper finger tension.

A question might come up with such ‘God’ wrenches as with that debate on 6" verses 8" and no 10" or 12" C-Wrenches, the proper 1/4 turn past hand tight on a bolt in that seemingly proper torque now different in actual tension, if one can learn on a 6" C-Wrench the proper torque now is given a different distance from the bolt, where are these locations located on the multi-tools in assuming the 8" C-Wrench standard proper or added torque level for them?

Should be a fair enough question in if given differing tools and assmuming torque of a 8" C-Wrench is fairly standard base for torque, how does one assume on a jobsite with other tools a compliant with standard torque to what those with other tools are applying to what they tension?

...Largest problem is not some packing in a road case of them and the dings from it, it’s someone using their 6" un-insulated bent steel 5/16" T-Handle used to unlock coffin locks on road cases to dog down the cheseborough while also screwing up the threads of the bolt in my opinion. ...
I contend that the use of adjustable wrenches causes far more damage overall to wingnuts and bolts than the "coffin lock key." Anyone going near a wingnut with an adjustable wrench should be slapped, as should those who use Channel Locks on C-clamps.

Last edited:
I wish there was something like a mega combo but with a 5"-6" handle. Designed for those of us who only use the same three bolts over and over. Seems to me there would be a good market for this too. The Mega combo is exactly what I want but it's too small. Give me the same thing in a slightly longer body... don't charge $100 for it:rolleyes:... and I'll be first in line to purchase.

The same company already makes one.
Mongo-Wrench

I use a 6 inch crescent and a mega combo wrench I bought for $7Canadian

Roadietools.com Mega-Combo Wrench

Gafftper this may be what you want

The same company already makes one.
Mongo-Wrench

Thanks guys I've been down that route... even traded a few e-mails with the creator of those tools. The mega combo is small and convenient but for a big guy like me it gets lost in my hand and is hard to use. The Mongo-Wrench goes the other way. I don't need a 9" wrench and it's kind of heavy too, as I've debated around here before I think a 6" is all you need.

What I want is something in between. Just a Mega combo with a 6" handle. Keep it really light weight so it's comfortable to have in your back pocket all day long.

I usually just carry a 6" adjustable c-wrench. I didn't know that there was such a thing as an ultimate focus tool. When I saw it my jaw dropped a little... I must have one.

I must say that this is one of the many reasons that I love control booth. I just learned about a new tool that will make my job easier. Whee! You can't see it, but I'm doing a happy victory time dance.

Thanks.

I must say that this is one of the many reasons that I love control booth. I just learned about a new tool that will make my job easier. Whee! You can't see it, but I'm doing a happy victory time dance.

Thanks.

And we all celebrate when a victory takes place, ReiRei. My hat's off to Dave for first kicking the ControlBooth off, and to the many knowledgable moderators and posters who share what they know with the rest of us. The world is a better place-

Woohoo! :dance:

ReiRei, I can't definitively determine from your post whether you've seen this video demo (I suspect you have) but for others--
Ultimate Focus Tool by Stagejunk Demo.
I feel their tagline should be "You'll love everything except the price"!:(

So my vote is for a 6" Wide-Jaw Adj. Wrench for C-clamps AND a UFT for wingnuts, pin splitting, and continuity testing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back