Wireless Mic Rental

Hey guys, just as several others, we have our spring musical coming up in the beginning of May. At this point I'd like to take our program to the next level with a decent rental package for wireless mics for the leads (West Side Story). I just called our local sound company and was quoted $40 a day per mic. Is that a common price? We really don't have that great of a budget these days but I don't want our quality to have to suffer. Any suggestions? I really appreciate it!

Yes, that sounds like it is in the ballpark. However, pricing can vary greatly depending on location, what exact microphones and antenna package you are renting and for how long.

~Dave

I would say that is a great price, considering that I can't get one for less than $80 a day here in New York City. But location, location, location...

Like Dave said, check to see the antennas, capsules and cabling that you receive with that price.

If that includes the lav and the receiver, it is an awesome price! The rental house I used to use charges $75/day for Shure ULX gear. Assuming your show is running for more than a day, most rental houses offer a three-day week rental rate.

I recently paid $600 for a 4 mic Shure ULX setup for 2 days of rental. That comes out to $75 per mic per day (a distribution antenna and power conditioner where also included).

That $40 a day sounds like a pretty solid deal if they are quality units. It is important to ask what transmitters/receivers/mic elements you are getting, you want to make sure you don't end up shelling money out for something that is going to give you lots of problems. Also make sure it has the range you need if you are putting the receivers back by the sound booth or anywhere far from the stage.

Thanks for all of your responses! I do have to look alot further into the terms and such but it is a pretty decent company for what we have on the cape! It's is definitely a killer to the high school budget though. I was just told today that I have about $1000 for my sound and lighting rental for this show give or take a bit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back