2P&G/Stage Pin vs. Edison vs. Twist-Lock

What type of connectors does your lighting system use?

• Total voters
I would love to see PowerCON connectors become the standard, positive locking, sleek small connectors that deliver 20A. Then again I would be happy having PowerCON connectors used for power tools and everything else, imagine having the ability to have custom power cords for EVERYTHING you do.

12/3 SO for EVERYTHING and EVERYONE!

And we used Stage Pins in HS and in college.

I would love to see PowerCON connectors become the standard, positive locking, sleek small connectors that deliver 20A. Then again I would be happy having PowerCON connectors used for power tools and everything else, imagine having the ability to have custom power cords for EVERYTHING you do.

I couldn't disagree more. While I do love PowerCON connectors for their size, locking, and ease of use, I would hate to have them as my main plug/receptacle. Biggest reason is that PowerCONs have no breaking capacity and are not designed to be connected or disconnected while under load. I'm sure we've all pulled the plug on an instrument without waiting for the board op to kill the channel, but this can cause arcing and is a big no-no with PowerCON (although I only have a vague idea as to why, anyone care to explain?). Also, there are separate connectors for power in (blue) and power out (grey) - as these are denoted by color, this also means your cabling will be much more visible than if you had used a black 2P&G connector. And finally, unlike many (most?) other connectors, PowerCON connectors are only made by one manufacturer (based in Liechtenstein - now who can find that on a map? :p), meaning that the pricing and availability of these connectors could fluctuate.

Also, from an error-proofing standpoint, I like having different connectors for different things. Sure, I could have my dimmers, constant power, and 208V power all using the same connectors if I really wanted to. But what happens when some helpful stagehand plugs the Source Four into the 208V power and the VL3500 into the dimmer? A lot of rental houses and theatres will use L6-20 connectors exclusively for all their 208V power to avoid confusion. I know of at least one large rental house that uses L5-20 for dimmer circuits and 2P&G for constant power, like LED fixtures, to further avoid confusion.

...I know of at least one large rental house that uses L5-20 for dimmer circuits and 2P&G for constant power, like LED fixtures, to further avoid confusion.
If anything, I think that should be the other way around. When I see a 2P&G, I assume dimmed circuit.

And putting a big, honkin' L5-20 on an LED PAR that draws one amp seems silly to me. Why not go all out and use a blue CEEform?

Last edited:
I couldn't disagree more. While I do love PowerCON connectors for their size, locking, and ease of use, I would hate to have them as my main plug/receptacle. Biggest reason is that PowerCONs have no breaking capacity and are not designed to be connected or disconnected while under load.
You are no longer correct.
proxy.php

Live Sound: Neutrik Powercon True1 Connector Makes Stateside Debut At Winter Namm 2011 - Pro Sound Web

If anything, I think that should be the other way around. When I see a 2P&G, I assume dimmed circuit.

I may be mistaken. I thought I remembered that this rental house had L5s on all their conventionals, but it's been a while since I've seen a package from them.

I'm personally a bigger fan of twist lock, when your highschool cheaps out on cables runs that require heavy tension on the dimmer packs, having stagepin connectors falling out isn't fantastic by any means. I just find twist locks to be much safer, and they save TONS of money instead of having to gaf together your connections just to keep them from coming apart!

That problem could easily be resolved with a pin splitter. 2P&G connectors, when maintained, should not come unplugged accidentally under normal conditions. People who need to use gaff to keep their connections together have probably not maintained their connectors, which is often the result of users banging their connectors on the ground when connectors are not mated. This is why it's a good practice after a coiling a cable to connect the male and female ends of it together such that the pins cannot be damaged when the cables are being moved around.

Biggest reason is that PowerCONs have no breaking capacity and are not designed to be connected or disconnected while under load. I'm sure we've all pulled the plug on an instrument without waiting for the board op to kill the channel, but this can cause arcing and is a big no-no with PowerCON (although I only have a vague idea as to why, anyone care to explain?).

The design of the PowerCON connector does not dissipate enough heat when a live load of 20A is broken. The act of disconnecting the connector while such a large current is going through it causes a momentary arc between the connector contacts and the receptacle contacts (something most of us have seen happen with 5-15 and 2P&G connectors). The result of arc is a sudden buildup of heat on the contacts, and then the contacts become charred and the surrounding plastic of the connector may melt.

I may be mistaken. I thought I remembered that this rental house had L5s on all their conventionals, but it's been a while since I've seen a package from them.
What did they use for ML power? I have nightmares just thinking about working in a shop that that regularly used both L5-20 and L6-20 cable.

[Christie Lites gets around it by using L5-20 (conv.) and L6-15 (ML) cables, which still confuses stagehands!]

...The act of disconnecting the connector while such a large current is going through it causes a momentary arc between the connector contacts and the receptacle contacts (something most of us have seen happen with 5-15 and 2P&G connectors). The result of arc is a sudden buildup of heat on the contacts, and then the contacts become charred and the surrounding plastic of the connector may melt.
One would think one should expect to see an arc when MAKING under load, rather than BREAKING under load. (Not that I've ever done it, but if I had, that would be my experience. ;))

Last edited:
One would think one should expect to see an arc when MAKING under load, rather than BREAKING under load. (Not that I've ever done it, but if I had, that would be my experience. ;))

Nope, you get larger arcing when breaking the current flow as opposed to making it. The reason is that when making the connector the contacts are moving toward each other, thus the air gap distance is being minimized. 600V and lower voltages are not high enough potential (generally speaking) the jump an air gap without being provoked. Thus, you may get an arc when making a connector, but it's going to be short lived because the contacts will be made very shortly after the arc begins. When breaking a connector, the arc forms as soon as the contacts part. Once the arc is initiated, it can span a larger gap than it takes to create an arc when 2 contacts are separated by a fixed distance.

I hope that was a coherent explanation, I'm not totally awake yet this morning.

Of course, it doesn't appear to be backward compatible. And rochem has a point about the single manufacturer problem. A couple months ago, certain powercon models were very hard to come by due to a factory redesign (and possible retooling I guess). Now they've finally introduced a connector capable of breaking under load, though it seems it's only rated for 16A, which is going to reek havoc on overcurrent protection stateside unless they can get it up to 20A. If this does take off you're going to have new and old powercon in existence and that will be a great mess. Now I'll need powercon to powercon adapters, in both directions = FAIL.

And BTW, I really do like the powercon/speakon system, so I'm not just a hater. It just seems it could have been better executed.

Nope, you get larger arcing when breaking the current flow as opposed to making it. The reason is that when making the connector the contacts are moving toward each other, thus the air gap distance is being minimized. ...
Makes perfect sense when I think about carbon-arc spotlights. But I've never noticed an arc when un-hot-plugging a 120V conventional, whereas I usually get a small arc when plugging in while energized.

From what I can remember, 277V is the lowest you can get with a self-sustaining arc. IE, unless the gap gets larger a 277V fault is a bad arc welder. Now, most theatres aren't running 480Y/277V to the stage for lighting use, but maybe for a motor...

I voted for Edison, because that's what makes the most sense for me. We don't work in theater, we work in hotels, wedding factories, art galleries, lofts, etc., and there's nothing but edison. It just makes sense to be able to use what's available, and not worry about where that adapter went.
On the rare occasion when we rent stuff that has 2P&G I find that the pins aren't ever split correctly, which often causes the adapter to fall off. So we end up taping the adapter on, which is more time wasted.

I will add one thing to the PowerCon debate, they will roll around when stepped on or something is set on them. Stage Pin won't. I prefer Stage Pin but that is mainly because that is all I've used.

The problem with orange extension cords is they are only supposed to be used in domestic applications and should not be a factor in choosing a connector on stage or in an industrial setting. Ontario electrical code only allows for "hard" or "extra hard" flexible cable on stage (Rule 44-252, Rule 44-320, rule 44-350 and rule 44-354). Orange, yellow and tinsel cords do not meet these requirements.

But orange extension cords are hard service.

Away from the plug used on 208v/240v on this reply. Hope it answers some questions about plug history in being long but I think important so as to clear the air or frame the discussion some.

On Edison, the same thing plug wise between the 15Amp and 20Amp version. Industrial or Commercial grade are required. At one point I did wire up a bunch of adaptors with 5-20 Edison plugs for a show. This confused the people on site with years of experience in doing shows. Instead of reading the plug’s rating or even trying to see if the 20A. plug would fit into the outlets... they just went to the local Ace Hardware and spent a few hours in re-wiring the adaptors I made. Unless you have a closed faculty where you can insure the training, 5-20 plugs are a bad idea unless for something really special like the shop air compressor when not 208/240v. And even than with supervision.

Given it’s the same plug and under specific industrial/commercial plug type guidelines, I read once perhaps as a proposed code change that for stage/production use it was to be possible to use the 5-15 Edison for 20 Amp usage which would be smart. Still as pointed out in past debates, there is currently no rule or waver for such usage. The receptacle should still be 20A and commercial grade no matter the case. While it is still perfectly permissible to use an Edison plug for theater/production usage, they because of the pointed out problems are not preferred for other than say small time use.

I want my Aluminum V.1 Pin Splitter back! Loaned it out once and never got it back in someone thinking this thing I bought like 20 years ago now, in when I bought it - making like eight bucks an hour and providing my own tools was their’s by way of it should be provided to them for free by way of me it would seem. Concept of professionalism and or buy your own personal tools... apparently never came to mind for who took mine. Seriously missing my stolen one. The V.1 was stronger in just last week having to replace a broken V.2, and it also gapped 60A plugs. (Cannot imagine breaking the plastic V.2 version but I have a broken one some gorilla somehow broke.) Plus the brushes on the V.2 unless you spend a lot of time with 1/4" steel pencil stock on a drill in wearing down the brush will scratch the heck out of your plug in shining it up but it in being scratched provide no more continuity. The added brush to the V.2 is way too aggressive - some time with Crocus cloth on the pin would be much better for continuity. Better with a stronger pinsplitter that didn’t attempt to shine the pin up by way of scratching the heck out of it with deep scratching. Much less the V.1 did gapping on 60A plugs that would be useful to me. Told a tail about the discontinuation of the V.1 about given it was aluminum someone got electrocuted from it. Hard to believe in why they are now plastic but possible in having heard it from a few sources. Urr.. Gee male end of the plug worked on in getting electrocuted... other problems besides the material of the tool in working on a live male plug? None the less V.1 gone to the market now unless someone wants to introduce a better V.3 some day. Despise my current V.2 pinsplitter. While it is somewhat rare a pin needs spreading... it does happen and don’t ask about the grounded Union threefers that I once modified with new ground hole slightly off center in bending pins so as to fit somewhat. Tolerances mostly these days are I believe USITT standard and should no longer be a problem.

See page 48 of the Wikki Chicago Stage Lighting 1916 Catalogue and you will see that stage pin/slip has been around since before 1916 as with a bunch of other interesting or dangerous types. I have in fact used a 30A Stage plug before from the same page... very easy to electrocute yourself yet commonly used. Kind of a shame that I didn’t get a sample of the angled other version of Edison I call Crows Foot but not sure if accurate in term. 1926 there was another version also in use backstage. Beyond the interesting style of it, both socket and plug used porcelain bodies. Imagine a porcelain plug - was in use. (Love this catalogue, hope more people post old catalogues on-line to learn from.)

Back to why twist lock verses stage pin and history. Back in the day - probably 70's and others would know better than I, stage pins got grounded. But there was still the problem of before pinsplitters... still had problems with stage pin plugs coming loose. Plus there was for the while improved stage pin plug the better design of the flag ring terminal, but there wasn’t really any tool on the market designed to crimp such a thing. Sure I have my Vatco #1900 which does it by way of wrong gauge, and or if you grind off the cutting jaws of the Klien #1005 or #1006 as with most “Stakon” type crimp tools they will also work. Tool modification is not easy or normal. Never been a proper crimp tool invented for the flag ring terminal. Given that... many used Vise Grips and other crushing instead of displacement means for crimping their terminals. That or heated solder pot made stranded wire now tinned and solid until heated up by way of short. This in wrapping the wire around the terminal. Also, there was a sort of wire encapsulating ferrule/washer that’s long gone from the market.

In other words.. The industry standard Union stage pin plug was having problems with ability to make a proper wiring connection - plus they were also dangerous by way of jack knife as best solution for spreading the pins when noticed at all in being problematic or resistive to load. As an alternate method the twist lock plug came out. About 1975 where I work went into business and it was the 15A L5-15 mini-twist lock as popular alternative to the problematic stage pin back than. Worked well for them given the Hubbel plug that is round and takes to marking it easily and fairly in-expensive. 15A was limited though thus the L5-20 I think during that like ten year period. Concept being it was locking thus wouldn’t come un-plugged but still wasn’t Edison that with use becomes loose in holding onto the plug in receptacle amongst other problems. That said, and given the same technology, only twisted... the twist lock especially 15A version also with use in receptacle also loosens up. No better than the stage pin in the end except that it’s easier to fix or change a plug than the panel mount receptacle.

In the mean time, Union Connector came out with the locking stage pin plug so as to save market share. Forget if it was on the ground or neutral - believe it ground but there was a hook to the stage pin that hooked into the outlet. This did the thing of the twist lock plug in concept in that it wouldn’t come loose. Great save except that mis-spread pins were still mis-spread pins in not conducting well and while they wouldn’t fall out, they were still not conducting well. Also that the lock hook more often than not bent or otherwise didn’t work well - lived thru some of them. Such a concept also relied on the theory that such a lock would be plugged into a receptacle that was also using that system. Given most didn’t... they would not lock with them. Unless your entire system was designed about the locking, it wouldn’t work and would be a pain in the rear to use. Gotta see such a locking plug to understand what a bad idea it was.

Split pins as opposed to solid pins.... Gotta understand that concept about here to understand twist lock also verses slip/stage pin. Slotted pins so when under load and by way of expansion and contraction - if under a high load you can remove the plug if solid. Were under high load and the metal expands, you would not be able to remove the plug. Want to easily remove the plug from it’s socket if under danger conditions. Twist locks - assuming the more robust 20A versions which take up more space - still have that problem of in panic you have to pre-think the twist as opposed to just yank it out. The 15A versions in receptacle and with time with the 20A as with Edison while they loosen up not a factor for twist lock in easily removed during danger. That in addition to larger size and larger surface area of the stage/slip pin.

Stage pins are much like CeeForm type pin and sleeve by way of surface area if properly used for contact. Much more robust in not bending when dropped and smaller in size. Really once Advanced Devices / Bates came out with their plug in the 90's that solved the problems with stage pin and made the temporary fix of twist lock obsolete. Ever try to remove a vapor locked weather tight boot from a twist lock? I did on a few instances and shorted between poles in breaking the connection and lock. This beyond the panic and not thinking of twisting to remove.

Back to stage pin.. Been many concepts in improved stage pin - many new sources for it, Bates/Marinco still mostly in advancement given you don’t have to friction tape the heck out of a cord leads the way with clones to them. (Such knockoffs don’t often have the same parts for tolerance and quality or play nice with the Bates part.) Still though advancement that works. Leviton vendor had to admit his version was not as good as an example during a meeting.

Back to stage pin/slip as the more mostly used 120v plug after a time in the past of turbulence that many places bought into a system. L5-20 isn’t bad, just not the standard. There is also the Non-Nema version out there which was for a time popular and now problematic.

“I have also had a problem of the SO cable slowly working its way out over time, due to the screws coming loose.” Curious in concept. More so than SJ cable in doing the same due to expansion/contraction of the conductors under the load in now seeming like someone didn’t tighten down the terminal enough, but instead the wire just settled? Often after a first use at times high amperage types of cable needs another look at or they will show the same symptoms. Outer jacket of the cable is not a factor in insulation - same gauge of wire.

Forget about America going Euro plugs I hope in it seemingly doing so anyway. Fricken French Vacations for both Socapex and Neutrik. That said, the Neutrik Powercon is very popular and while hard to get in bulk on time for a need, is hard to say it’s a bad plug. Won’t say bad or good about it in on the fence - just hate it’s constant need for ever more fixtures requiring it. A verses B etc problems in not simple. CeeForm also popular and a thing I often have to import at the last minute in paying a lot more. Snap locking covers to them often are in the way of the fixtures designed about them. Problem for me in necessity to replace the “missing covers” that were removed so as to fit into the fixture = this each time the plug is used. Never ending process a CeeForm missing it’s female cover has to have it’s cover replaced... yet in the next usage such a cover is removed or cut off in being in the way of mating to the fixture. Stuff like won’t physically fit or in the way of the DMX plugs plugging in. Won’t physically bend to where it needs to..

Having to express ship in more Powercons in finding not just one but two sources so as to ensure I get them on time. Domestic CeeForm brands while more reliable in shipping are too expensive. French vacations and or shipping too un-reliable. Such plugs are not a good answer to powering up fixtures.

This much less the screws used on Powercon and most CeeForm are Pozi type which is an insane screw drive system to use. Stripps easier, requires a special tool to properly drive and really bad design for a driver.

Last edited:
In both the old middle school that I attended and the "new" middle school I worked in briefly we had L5-20 twist-lock. In my highschool, built in 2001 we had 2P&G and I loved it!

lucky you, at my highschool, (in saint paul) we have all L5-20. so when ever i try to rent something i have to make adaptors, since none exist in my theatre. then again my theatre has no cable at all.

A local college has all twistlock. I was hired to run their shows but with student help. The first show was a national dance show and the had side booms, all stage pin. I got the fun job of pulling the males off all the strip lights and rewiring their lights to make them work in the floor pockets. The student labor, not one showed up, talk about a scramble.

A local college has all twistlock. I was hired to run their shows but with student help. The first show was a national dance show and the had side booms, all stage pin. I got the fun job of pulling the males off all the strip lights and rewiring their lights to make them work in the floor pockets. The student labor, not one showed up, talk about a scramble.

I would have seen if any local rental houses had Twist-stage. I know in our theatre we have many dozens of them.

Don't know if it helps anyone, but called today about my order locally thru a supplier expected today a day late about my Neutrik Powercon plugs on order. Only of the In-line 150 of the A and 100 of the B version. The plugs were expeted in on the 23rd to my supplier and a day later for me locally.

My sales person for the Powercon plugs told me today that he has no idea of where my plugs were. Seems today the entire Neutrik company was taking inventory.... don't know how many days it will last, but until it's done there will be no response form Neutrik as a company. Sorry... if not on vacation.... where are my plugs that you said you woul have... we are taking inventory at the moment... contact us in a few days once done.. (I really mean this as a response to some Powercons I ordered weeks ago as a response to where they are.)

This as opposed to the Socapex #337 stuff I ordered up almost six months ago now - and even given overcharged exhange rate... still yet to get. Imagine like two dollars per pin for a 37 pin plug in just fixing each time they fail as often. Given hundreds of such gear in stock - stuck with it.

Main point for me.... someone want to make their first million dollars... do the domestic Powercon. Yes as pointed out as with Soco stuff in me going molded Soco that it would destroy, you un-plug it under load and you just spent/wasted a few hundred dollars. Someone that gets a product on the market that can match production needs and not have vacation or inventory problems in shipping... and with a price that isn't too much more on the other hand will make money. Euro CeeForm even as some form of standard... domesticly made for such plugs but not economical at this point.

Luckily I have another week to get my plugs... but still and really- because your company is taking inventory, the sale person won't take a phone call? What taking count of widgets personally? This much less when I take inventoy, I tend to work harder in getting all the stock I should need to count get out of the way.

Where's my Powercons? Sorry, they are in inventory mode and while expected to ship by the 23rd, - like a month after the order... they are currently in Inventory mode so there will not be a response. Them sales people are actively counting pins instead of flying a desk. Yep... no resonse until the corporate inventory is done about my missing Powercons. This much less my literally six months and more late Socapex plug parts thru two suppliers. This beyond prices going up, I had no choice and only wated my parts.

Off topic but where you can, stay domestic in supplier.

Why does the theatre use 2P&G? What are the advantages? It would seem that either the Edison (for it's common-ness?) or the Twist-Lock (safety - won't come apart) would have more advantages.

This is something I've been wondering for a while now.

Edison is only 15A, so not capable of taking the load required by 20A dimmers.

Stage Pin is useful due to the flat shape. Very easy to carpet/tape over it, unlike Twist-lok. Twist-lok is great because it locks, so you don't have to worry about the connectors pulling free. The downside to Twist-lok is it's shape and the white part of the plug which is more noticable, depending on the location, than the black stagepin connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back