Altman Comet

CSCTech

Hey guys,

Well this summer we are getting a few new toys, one of them including an Altman Comet. The school has never had a followspot so this will be interesting and make my life a lot...lot..easier. I can set the foh lekos at the beggining of the year and leave them all year. I hope.

So, I cant really find to much about the Comet online. Some spec sheets but thats about it.

Going to be great not needing to use one of our limited lekos to have a spot like, on the pro. wall for a special scene or take one up for a color now that it can all be done with the followspot.

Can the Comet hold Gobos? Not sure if it is worth using them from there or using some lekos/mini ellips'. I should have more open foh lekos this next year though as I am going to rehang them right. Someone came in to 'clean' and took them all down. So, they are all over the place, we have a mixture of 20, 30 and 50 degrees. (We have Colortran 5/50s, not adjustable without removing the front I believe)

Anyways, any thing special about the comet? Is it a good model?

Also, dumb question, are they Edison plugs or twist lock/stagepin?
I don't believe the unit is DMX for intensity no?

And I believe it has a douser, dimmer, iris, focus, and standard colors?

Our throw is only like, 60-85 feet.

most if not all youre questions can be answered with a simple search on here for comet like if you do have a question not answered why dont you ask it in one of the many threds already existing this will make it easier for those in the future who might have the same questions as you

Can the Comet hold Gobos?

Anyways, any thing special about the comet? Is it a good model?

Also, dumb question, are they Edison plugs or twist lock/stagepin?
I don't believe the unit is DMX for intensity no?

And I believe it has a douser, dimmer, iris, focus, and standard colors?

Our throw is only like, 60-85 feet.

No, the Comet is not equipped with a gobo slot.

Really, the Comet is a pretty basic spot. Mechanical 3-leaf dimmer, 16-leaf iris, dual lenses, internal color boom... One neat thing about the color boomerang is that it is self-canceling. If you have red up, and then flip blue down (for example), the red will automatically clear. It will probably ship with your basic red, green, blue, pink, etc. There is also a douser.
One other good feature is that the fans and lamp are on separate switches, and wired in series (so the fans can run without the lamp, but the lamp can't run without the fans). The unit uses a 360-410w MR-16 projector lamp and it runs pretty cool.

All dimming is achieved by the mechanical dimmer, controlled on the top of the unit. There are no DMX provisions. The mains input cable is supplied with an Edison connector. The Comet should not be put on a dimming circuit because it contains a transformer as well as two fans.

Your 60-85' throw should be perfect for the Comet.

LekoBoy
While I do agree with you on using the search function (the Comet actually has been discussed extensively), it's kind of a double-edged sword posting on old threads. Some people prefer it to starting a new thread, while others shake their finger at you for necroposting. On the topic of forum etiquette though, I got a little winded reading your run-on sentence of a post. ;)
Slowwww down, buddy!

Last edited:
Leko,
I have searched the forum and have not come up with a thread on minaly the comet, granted I didn't go back many pages.
And like Les said. Most people don't like reviving old posts.

Les,

Alright, For some reason I though it had a gobo holder, thanks for that though, no surprises when we recieve it then I guess.

And ther auto cancel seems handy, although that means no color mixing?

Can the gels be changed?

And ther auto cancel seems handy, although that means no color mixing?

Can the gels be changed?

You can mix if you bring down both colors at the same time. They will 'click' and lock into place.

The colors can be changed. They're just standard gels, held in ring like frames by means of ordinary brass brads. The color boom is removable from the side of the unit without opening it up, which makes changing gels much easier!

Ahh, Thought that might mess with the canceling mechanism. Guess not :p

And great, it is definetly going to help.

In Aladdin we did, I needed 4 different spots of different colors in different places plus a spot on either proscenium wall :p And with our lekos messed up I was scrambling to get a full white curtain wash.

Quality followspot for throws up to 100'. We've had them in rental since they hit the market. Still working.

And Comets have been out since Altman painted their followspots teal, right? They've definitely proven reliable.

CSCTech, One other thing about mixing colors. If you already have one color engaged and you wish to mix it with another one, hold down the currently selected color's lever while engaging the new color. They should both stay in place, but let up slowly just to make sure they engaged correctly.

You may get limited results mixing gels, but when this really comes in handy is if you decide to add frost to one of the slides.

And Comets have been out since Altman painted their followspots teal, right? ...
No. The Q1000, Satellite, Orbiter, and possibly others, all preceded it and were painted B/G crinkle-finish. I guess they're black now: "Finish shall be Epoxy Sandtex black, electrostatic application."

Anyone know exactly when the Comet was introduced? It's listed in Altman's 1991 catalog. The first followspot I remember using an MR-16 lamp was the Phoebus UltraQuartz (I), in the mid-80s.

--------

CSCTech, your Comet will come equipped with
Red handle - Lux 26
Green handle - Lux 89
Blue handle - Lux 67
Purple handle - Lux 52
Yellow handle - Lux 12
Pink handle - Lux 31

As Les said, they're easy to change if you don't like those or when they burn out. See Search results for followspot color for many discussions of followspot color.

Last edited:
No. The Q1000, Satellite, Orbiter, and possibly others, all preceded it and were painted B/G crinkle-finish. I guess they're black now: "Finish shall be Epoxy Sandtex black, electrostatic application."

Anyone know exactly when the Comet was introduced? The first followspot I remember using an MR-16 lamp was the Phoebus UltraQuartz (I), in the mid-80s.

I could swear I saw a picture of an old blue/teal Comet somewhere. I can't remember if it was here or on ebay. I'll do some searching -- I'm coming after you Derek! :)

Do we have a WIKI Entry on the Altman Comet? We have quite a few threads on them, so maybe we could come up with an article with some basic info.

For example:
-Optimal throw distance: XX-XXXft.
-Not electronically dimmable.
-360w ENX, 410w FXL lamp.
-Good colors to use in the booms are...
-Date of birth: 19XX
Obviously there are some holes in my research.

And maybe some basic tips on the care and feeding of your follow spot? Something like this would be good for the 1000Q also, but I guess we would have to be careful not to let ourselves turn in to an online catalog.

Last edited:
I could swear I saw a picture of an old blue/teal Comet somewhere.

I know they exist: We use them every year at our musical.

I didn't say blue Comets never existed, I said
... I guess they're black now: "Finish shall be Epoxy Sandtex black, electrostatic application." ...
Emphasis on the word "now." Note the same line appears on the Satellite specs, and I've NEVER seen a black Satellite. Again, not saying black Satellites don't exist, just saying I've never seen one, and all the ones I've seen since 1980 have been blue.

I'm all for someone making a wiki entry Comet. I'm not as sure about "-Good colors to use in the booms are..." as one would think colors would apply to any incandescent followspot, and as the threads on the topic say, it's dependent on the production.

Last edited:
I didn't say blue Comets never existed, I said

Note the same line appears on the Satellite specs, and I've NEVER seen a blue Satellite. Again, not saying black Satellites don't exist, just saying I've never seen one, and all the ones I've seen since 1980 have been blue.

I'm all for someone making a wiki entry Comet. I'm not as sure about "-Good colors to use in the booms are..." as one would think colors would apply to any incandescent followspot, and as the threads on the topic say, it's dependent on the production.

Well Derek, sometimes you have to speak slooowly for us "special" people [me]. ;)

I'll peruse some threads and see if I can gather enough information to make a useful Comet WIKI post. I'll try to address the most frequently asked questions. Maybe the entry could also include the URL's to the longest running spot light threads, such as the one titled followspot overhaul, which has some very good information.

About that finish -- do you think it was powder coat?

I saw a picture of a blue Voyager once. It's amazing how a coat of paint can make something look so dated, or vise-versa.

... About that finish -- do you think it was powder coat?

I saw a picture of a blue Voyager once. It's amazing how a coat of paint can make something look so dated, or vise-versa.

While it looks like powder coat, I suspect that would have been too expensive. I suspect epoxy enamel paint.

Dated?!
chadgreen-albums-altman-ii-picture377-p1300061.jpg

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/10864-lotsa-questions-altman-1000q-followspot.html

Mole mauve, Century gray, ARRI blue, ColorTran blue, Bardwell & McAllister green, Altman brown, (I'm sure I forgot some); if I had my way, every stage lighting fixture and accessory would be colored matte black.

Wow, I like the duct tape residue on the comet there.

You can mix if you bring down both colors at the same time. They will 'click' and lock into place.

Sorry-but this is not entirely correct. Gels are used for subtractive mixing, they filter out most of the other wave lengths or colors. For example, a blue gel will remove essentially everything except blue. If one were to put a blue gel in front of a red gel, then shine light thru the combination, there would be (theoretically) no light transmitted {blue filters all but blue, but red filters out the blue-->net result is all colors filtered out}.

However, it is possible to create a "mixed" color by using (2) different colored gels. BTW-this will work in any leko or PAR too. You MUST use 1/2 of each color--basically a semi circle cut of each, placed side-by-side, in the same gel frame. Try it!! For example, to produce magenta, place a 1/2 cut of blue and 1/2 cut of red in the gel frame. When you light the gel, you will see magenta as the output. The explanation as to why this works is related to the particle/wave theory of light (the physics of light).

And for the OP, the Comet is a great light for your application. I use it in a middle school setting with a throw of 100 ft. When used with Source 4s, you will need to dim the stage down some to allow the follow spot to become noticeable. YMMV.

Last edited:

Sorry-but this is not entirely correct. Gels are used for subtractive mixing, they filter out most of the other wave lengths or colors.....

My statement was in response to the OP asking if two frames could be engaged at one time. I used the terms 'mix' and 'colors' loosely, what I should have said was 'combine' and 'frames' (apologies for the confusion). I never told the OP he would have great success with this; in fact, I went on to state that the combining of two frames was especially useful when introducing a diffusion gel. This wasn't a post regarding color theory, additive/subtractive mixing, etc per se. I was just stating that on the Comet, it can mechanically be done.

You may get limited results mixing gels, but when this really comes in handy is if you decide to add frost to one of the slides.

Thanks

Last edited:
Les, there is nothing incorrect about your original statement. Both additive and subtractive methods of Color Mixing, Lighting are perfectly valid, and you didn't specify which. If I say "A Ford is a car," it's improper (and impolite) for someone to say "You're wrong, a Ford is a domestic car." Putting one (full-frame) filter in front of a source is subtractive mixing, but so is putting two (full-frame) filters in front of the same source.

... If one were to put a blue gel in front of a red gel, then shine light thru the combination, there would be (theoretically) no light transmitted {blue filters all but blue, but red filters out the blue-->net result is all colors filtered out}.
The resultant color is largely dependent on the hue and saturation of the specific "blue" and "red," wouldn't you agree? R33 + R60 makes a quite nice Lavender, not too dissimilar from R54. R26 + R80 make a more-saturated R358.

JohnA, I'm slightly confused by your explanation. Are you referring to split gel? In a followspot, I suspect the non-conformity of color across the field would be undesirable to most users.

Wow, I like the duct tape residue on the comet there.
Not that it matters one hoot, but it's masking tape residue and a 1000Q. </pendant>

Last edited:
However, it is possible to create a "mixed" color by using (2) different colored gels. BTW-this will work in any leko or PAR too. You MUST use 1/2 of each color--basically a semi circle cut of each, placed side-by-side, in the same gel frame. Try it!! For example, to produce magenta, place a 1/2 cut of blue and 1/2 cut of red in the gel frame. When you light the gel, you will see magenta as the output. The explanation as to why this works is related to the particle/wave theory of light (the physics of light).

I would love to hear how wave-particle duality of light can possibly be applied to stage lighting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back