Architectural Lighting

Esoteric

Hey guys, anyone on here do a significant amount of architectural lighting? Can you back channel me? I have some questions.

Mike

Hey guys, anyone on here do a significant amount of architectural lighting? Can you back channel me? I have some questions.

Mike

I frequently work with or buy and or modify for our use a significant amounts of architectural lighting fixtures from GU-10 LED to G-13 850 amongst others in lamp/fixture code details with some details missing. I have a stash and field of experience from design of to fixture type basis. What's your more public question in others might be interested? Or PM me and we can figure out if public or not and get furter. Got a soccer building you need to figure out the lighting for, many can do and I have specified. What's the best wash lamps/fixtures to light the 84th story of a building with, I and many others have also done it already.

Thanks! Already have the fixture for house lighting for a church. Switching over to LED.

Just did my initial calculations (went back and found them after some people gave me a reminder about CoU on here a couple of weeks ago, thanks guys) and came up with 98 units to cover a 15000 square foot room at 20fc. Then did my actual unit layout and have come up with 140 units to cover (when taking into account the building section, etc). Is it common for the two numbers to be that far off?

That makes me a bit nervous. I have done 1:1 unit switchout conversions before. But this is not a 1:1 situation (they currently need 300+ units to attain their 15fc level of illumination). So when I come up with 40+ more units, it makes me a little on edge even though I have done the math and done the plot 3 times.

Mike

Last edited:
I am also wondering if architectural firms actually do plots or if they just calculate the number of fixtures and sapce them out evenly? I have seen house lighting that appeared so perfectly even that it seems they must have plotted it, it was beautiful, like a stage design. Then I have seen spaces with hot spots and dark spots and such where it appears that very little thought went into it.

Mike

CRI another concept to deal with most often. Just sent McCarney tour at last minute with the same color temperature lamps but some mixed in with a higher CRI. Designer noting such things out verses given very late notice and all I had in stock a to try type of thing.

I think it's a "You get what you pay for" thing. Some really try to give you the needed lighting. Others give a standard x lights on y pattern. I have a small multi use room at my arena that gets used for everything from volleyball to regional theatre to wedding receptions. The dimmable lighting was horrible when installed, it always had huge holes in the room. A few years ago they had a company come in and replace everything with a more cost effective system. The best reason I see that it is more cost effective is because there are less fictures that leaves more holes than we started with. When I complained the answer was you could add more fixtures to a track. I'm thinking sure but there goes the cost saving.

It goes both ways, and I swear it only depends on WHO designed it.

Most of the time, though, the designer SHOULD try and aim for the fewest fixtures that meet both the illumination level AND the SC (spacing criteria). SC is what causes the holes / dark spots. A fixture can only throw so far to the side. Basically, mounting spacing = SC times mounting height.

The SC is the main reason you get so many "extra" fixtures over the minimum. You may have extra light, but within reason that's not a bad thing. (Again, within reason. Most of us don't do brain surgery in our living room.) Especially since it seems the most difficult-to-relamp fixture dies first...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back