CB: Technical Forum or English Class?

Discussion in 'New Member Board' started by nmccoart5, Aug 15, 2008.

?

How tolerant should CB members be toward abuse of the Language Arts?

1. Very strict.

7.4%
  2. Mildly strict.

35.6%
  3. Maintain current status quo.

33.6%
  4. Somewhat relaxed.

17.1%
  5. d00d, N E thing go's! lol

4.4%
  6. Other, (please specify...)

2.0%
  1. nmccoart5

nmccoart5 Member

Has Control Booth turned into an English lesson? Tell us what you think!

2. LekoBoy

LekoBoy Active Member

Re: Control Booth: Tech. Forum or English Class??

I think spelling terms and pieces of equipment correctly is kinda important. When I see people write Leco I know they don't know very much.

coyoteawooo likes this.
  3. derekleffew

derekleffew Resident Curmudgeon Senior Team Premium Member

CB: Tech. Form or English Class

A fair and valid point was raised by nmccoart5. Since I can't add a poll to his thread, I'm merging his comments into this one.

Whatever the results, this doesn't mean in anyway [sic] that I'm going to stop playing Grammar Cop.:twisted:

4. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.
    coyoteawooo likes this.
  5. Charc

Charc Well-Known Member

I think part of what the ol' guys do when policing grammar/spelling is looking out for the younger ones. It's important to remember that what you write reflects who you are. You're not likely to get hired if you write "Proffisient in LiteWrite and Vectour-works".

Always double check any official documents you're sending out like resum├ęs, cover letters, etc.. Feel free to have friends and family glance over them too, because a fresh set of eyes can really help.

However, it's important to get into the mindset of putting your best foot forward, and, as "all the world's a stage", why not start here?

6. Footer

Footer Senior Team Senior Team Premium Member

no L33t speak, thats all I really care about.

7. Serendipity

Serendipity Active Member Premium Member

Quoting me? Muahahaaaa...

I think we should continue having our grammar cops. It's important to teach people mild literacy. However, if it's someone's first post here, a simple reminder that we enjoy the use of the shift key and proper punctuation will suffice. I don't think we need to tackle the newbies and beat them too soon, though later... :twisted:
    Naturally, if it's a technical term, correct it. We're here to help each other out, not to establish a sense of elitist (although we may be!) technicians vs uneducated, untouchable "techies".

Oh, and nice vote in the Poll, Derek. ;)

8. cdub260

cdub260 CBMod CB Mods

Yes, correcting mistakes is a good thing. A few spelling or grammar errors here and there don't bother me too much, but I've seen a few posts which I found completely unreadable. I absolutely agree with the general sentiment that you need to be able to communicate your ideas if you want to get anywhere in this, or any other industry. As far as the forums on this sight go, those of us who have been in the industry for a while can't help you if don't clearly communicate your question. And on those occasions when we need your help, if your answer is so poorly written that we can't understand it, you are no help to us.

9. derekleffew

Site.

Now see, right there--that's my predicament. Should I?; or shouldn't I?; call attention to the error? In no way trying to be more grammatical than thou... (thee?):)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  10. Serendipity

Serendipity Active Member Premium Member

Maybe we could add a little link below every post that says, "You illiterate!" and when opened lists corrections. :twisted:

11. avare

avare Active Member

If you can not communicate effectively with written posts that you can compose at your own pace, how do you expect to communicate effectively during the pressures of live performances?

Andre

12. cdub260

cdub260 CBMod CB Mods

Please do. I want people to point out my mistakes so I don't repeat them.

13. nmccoart5

nmccoart5 Member

I agree with cdub260... correcting vital mistakes such as the name of a company or piece of equipment is 100% necessary.... but sometimes people seem to take it to far... ie: Someone replying "You should use a comma to set off phrases that express contrast." or something of that nature.... is a little rediculous.... mabye we should pay a little attention to the spell check button located at the top right of this box?????

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  14. LightStud

LightStud Active Member

I cannot recall a situation, ever, where I've had to use my writing skills to effectively communicate during a performance.
    Now IF you're implying that it's better to say "John, go to the SL Fly Gallery and raise Lineset 27 two feet" than "Hey you, go up there and gimme another coupla feet on that one," with that I wholeheartedly agree.

I'm pretty sure I have no magic button "at the top right of this box." I use Firefox, which underlines in red words it suspects are mispelled, as I type them. I suspect most other browsers have this feature as well, and if not, why not?

15. Les

Les Well-Known Member

I think it is a good idea for us to use proper English because it then becomes more natural to us. Honestly, for those of you who have ever used AIM or Yahoo! Messenger, how many times have you forgotten to capitalize "I" when referring yourself? I have on many occasions because I was used to getting sentences and thoughts out as quickly as possible while ignoring things like periods, commas, apostrophes, and capitalizations. Neglecting these fundamentals out of habit can easily spell disaster. I have emailed out several business inquiries where I have had to go back and capitalize i's and add apostrophes. It reminds me of this quote:

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit." -Aristotle-

When we get used to typing and communicating correctly, it becomes second nature to us. It's a lesson that translates to so many areas of life.

For example: Wearing a seatbelt, using your blinker, using safety cables, saying "please" and "thank you", speaking correctly...

A little more on speaking correctly...

I'm from Texas. We're stereotyped as having a thick southern accent and using terms such as "y'all" and "fixin' to", but I can't tell you how many times I have been asked where I was from. People think I'm from the north (even people from the north!) because of the way I pronounce my words. I think it is because of sitting through so many notes sessions after rehearsals. Listening to directors stress pronunciations like "get, not git" or "many, not miny" has truly helped me become better at expressing myself - and separating myself from that redneck stereotype!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  16. Chris15

Chris15 CBMod CB Mods Premium Member Departed Member

derekleffew and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Hughesie

Hughesie Well-Known Member

Freelance Lighting Programmer/grandMA Trainer
    The reason we seem so strick around here is because when someone comes along and finds your user profile (trust me it happens) and sees what language your using, that job interview you were going to have might just get filled before you get there. Future employeers are starting to look at social networking sites such as facebook to see what nutjob they are about to hire.

all of this is contained in our helpful guide to spelling on controlbooth

http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...lling-grammar-controlbooth-com.html#post98228

18. Hughesie

Hughesie Well-Known Member

Freelance Lighting Programmer/grandMA Trainer
    CB: Tech. Form or English Class

It's two sentences and also a poor lexical clause.:twisted:

19. Sean

Sean Active Member

Um, ok....

STRICT

YOU'RE

EMPLOYERS

--Sean

len, dvsDave, TWSmith and 6 others like this.
  20. derekleffew

[user]Sean[/user] has cited the mispellings. The first sentence above falls into the category of run-on. Regarding the second: proper names are capitalized. Third: sentences begin with a capital letter, proper names are capitalized, and end with a period. Or, in this case, as the independent clause serves to introduce the link, a colon: http://www.creativeteachingsite.com/humorgrammar.htm.

While I'm almost willing to suspect that your intentions are honorable, Hughesie, it's quite tiresome to continually edit and correct your entries in the Wiki, where grammatical errors serve to destroy the creditability of the article.

Also, I suggest that one refrain from using the royal pronoun "we" in future writings, unless one possesses a mouse in his/her pocket.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice