Control/Dimming Computer Controlled Light Board/Bijou

What does the manual say about that input? Just because it is labeled "DMX Input" doesn't means it works the way you want it to. I really doubt that it is. More likely, it is for linking two consoles together for master/slave. RT_M. (I'll let you fill in the blank!)

I called EDI and spoke with one of their engineers and he says it was a generic RS485 port that was suppose to be used for DMX in. It was never enabled in software and was later changed in later firmware versions to the Control Freak input and eliminated in the Plus version (it became an internal port).

I called EDI and spoke with one of their engineers and he says it was a generic RS485 port that was suppose to be used for DMX in. It was never enabled in software and was later changed in later firmware versions to the Control Freak input and eliminated in the Plus version (it became an internal port).

Hi Ryan,
looks like you have an early generation of the bijou. Before EDI made the control freak (long drawn out story about how it got that name, which requires many libations for me to relay) that was a DMX IN. I don't remember if we got it working fully or not. When we designed the CF power was added on pins 4 and 5 of that jack so we did not have to have 2 power supplies so it's not a good idea to plug anything else in there. You might let all the magic smoke out of the console!
Please don't plug anything in the HHR jack but an EDI HHR! that's a bi directional Serial port with power on 2 pins. Your likely to blow up the console if you do. We do not give out the protocol that the HHR uses.

If your heart is set on adding a PC console into your rig you might look at something like this:
LightFactory Home Page

It does have a DMX in so you can set DMX levels on the Bijou and record them into the PC software then add your M.L. stuff.
Hope this helps,
Tracy

I for one would love to hear the Control Freak story!
...And where would one find a Bijou HHR?

By the way, is Bijou pronounced "bee-shew" or "bye-you".

Last edited:
Thanks Tracyu we were actually going to plug something into it today and in like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DON'T DO IT!!!!! because as i was reading it my tech director was about to plug it in lol. So about the software people have been recommending MagicQ and other software's what is the best for what we are doing.

We are a medium sized theater and right now we have what we call Leikos but they are old Ellipsoidal lights, What we call Source 4s which are modern day Ellipsoidal lights, old and new frenels, a couple of parcans, strip light's and a few more different types of lights. We want to get some moving lights like 1 or 2 at first,Then eventually Some more and slowly build up our collection. we are interested in them having Rotating Gobos and Gels. He told me there are motors you can attach to the lights to make them move which might be good at first.

So what software will be good for that that wont get outdated fast? and what type of computer will be good? We were thinking the HP TouchSmart.

P.S. On the light names don't call me out on the spelling i was not sure how to spell some of them.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Ryan Williams

Last edited:
I for one would love to hear the Control Freak story!
...And where would one find a Bijou HHR?

By the way, is Bijou pronounced "bee-shew" or "bye-you".

Getting people to agree on what to call a product can be more continuous that deciding on what it actually does. The short cleaned up version of how it became Bijou (bee-zhoo- fr. for "little jewel" unless you are Cajun in which case Bayou is fine) EDI's sales manager came in and suggested we call our new console the "MASTER FADER". When the lady who did our marketing heard that she suggested that the unit being designed for moving lights be called "Control Freak" (We all laughed heartily). Not wanting to hear endless jokes about the operators "getting there Freak on Master Fading" in the control booth or sanctuary, we decided that we should name all of our consoles after old movie houses and Bijou was the first one we could all agree to. However, we forgot about a new name for the Moving light add on so it became "Control Freak" for those of us who just don't have much better to do with our time.

If you want an Bijou HHR give us a call.
Have a good one!
Tracy

Thanks Tracyu we were actually going to plug something into it today and in like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DON'T DO IT!!!!! because as i was reading it my tech director was about to plug it in lol. So about the software people have been recommending MagicQ and other software's what is the best for what we are doing.

We are a medium sized theater and right now we have what we call Leikos but they are old Ellipsoidal lights, What we call Source 4s which are modern day Ellipsoidal lights, old and new frenels, a couple of parcans, strip light's and a few more different types of lights. We want to get some moving lights like 1 or 2 at first,Then eventually Some more and slowly build up our collection. we are interested in them having Rotating Gobos and Gels. He told me there are motors you can attach to the lights to make them move which might be good at first.

So what software will be good for that that wont get outdated fast? and what type of computer will be good? We were thinking the HP TouchSmart.

P.S. On the light names don't call me out on the spelling i was not sure how to spell some of them.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Ryan Williams

As far as what PC hardware to use I recommend the brand of gear that's used in the rest of the school. That's usually the easiest to get and maintain. As for software, most of these PC based systems have "try before you buy" versions you can download and play with. These guys have some stuff you might find useful:
..::Stage Research::..

simple things like gobo rotators you can run off the Bijou just fine. Color scroollers can be a bit tricky because the console is all HTP. However, if you take the time to make a multi-part cue or some auto follows you should be able to make them work reasonably well. The biggest issue when you decide to add these types of devices to your lighting system is finding the time to get them to work. The industries solution has been to virtualize the lighting control so you can do some of this off-line (because no one's getting more time to light a show). You also end up spending a lot of time overcoming things like the FAN noise and how to get your DMX from the controller to whatever it is your wanting to plug into. Don't get me started on the whole 3 Pin/ 5 Pin it's OK to use mic cord (NOT) thing
Best of luck with it,
Tracy

If you haven't already purchased something.... take a look at Light Factory (you can find it through google by searching lifact). I use that in my high school. I also got a 3D visualizing program. I got this set up so I didn't have to spend hours in the theater programming intelligent fixtures, with this set up I can do it all at home. I also got enttecs artnet-ethernet box, which is really nice because you can go wireless with the laptop and move about the theater.

I didn't care for magicQ, the layout irritated me. Light Factory is designed like any other application, not light magicQ which imitates a lighting board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back