Corn chips in the booth.

They can hardly pick up after their little kids that barf all over the seats...

That's not something they can foresee or really control. It's like sneezing. But they leave their empty chip bags and soda cans on the ground, or spill their drinks and snacks. That isn't acceptable.

That's disgusting.

I would have no problem with anyone eating in our theater if they would pick up after themselves, but I guess they think we are a MOVIE theater.

:eek: Sadly, it's true. We tried doing a spring movie series of old film adaptions of stage plays, with popcorn. Needless to say, it only lasted one season.

Several years ago our lead sound tech brought in one of those big bags of those mini-candy bars. They were great, but unfortunately he tried a couple of times to open them during a performance.
You could hear it across the theater.

NO FOOD OR DRINKS IN THE HOUSE !!!

If people want to put stuff in their mouths, they need to do it in the lobby and they need to keep their feet off of the furniture!

I very seldom go to movie theatres anymore, due to the simple fact that I do not like to have my feet stick to the floor and I certainly do not want to have my feet sticking to the floor in my work space.

I realize that I am a curmudgeon (look it up) but there are behaviors and manners that seem to have gone away, like rotary phones. Is it too much to ask of someone to sit quietly and not munch or sip for an hour or so?

Every time someone takes a bite of something, crumbs fall to the floor. Every time someone takes a drink of something, there is minute spillage. Do these minuscule amounts of debris and detritus cause any real damage....probably not, but they do feed the vermin and multi-legged critters that come out of hiding when the lights go out, and I don't like working in rat and bug infested places. The people who buy the tickets for the shows don't like rats and bugs either and oddly enough, it is those people buying the tickets that generates the cash flow that gets us paid.

Food for thought.

NO FOOD OR DRINKS IN THE HOUSE !!!

If people want to put stuff in their mouths, they need to do it in the lobby and they need to keep their feet off of the furniture!

I very seldom go to movie theatres anymore, due to the simple fact that I do not like to have my feet stick to the floor and I certainly do not want to have my feet sticking to the floor in my work space.

I realize that I am a curmudgeon (look it up) but there are behaviors and manners that seem to have gone away, like rotary phones. Is it too much to ask of someone to sit quietly and not munch or sip for an hour or so?

Every time someone takes a bite of something, crumbs fall to the floor. Every time someone takes a drink of something, there is minute spillage. Do these minuscule amounts of debris and detritus cause any real damage....probably not, but they do feed the vermin and multi-legged critters that come out of hiding when the lights go out, and I don't like working in rat and bug infested places. The people who buy the tickets for the shows don't like rats and bugs either and oddly enough, it is those people buying the tickets that generates the cash flow that gets us paid.

Food for thought.

Sorry, but I got excited and submitted twice....or, maybe I thought that it should be repeated.

Yeah, I had a client a few weeks back who freaked out because I had a bottle of water around his Smartfade. I nearly laughed the water all over his desk. Please, I drank Cokes over GrandMAs and HogIIs on the road back in the day. But his house, his rules so I stepped out between cues to get a drink. Finally he got tired of me walking back and forth, so he said forget it and let me have the water.

Of course when I taught high school theater the kids were not allowed any food or drink anywhere in the theater (after I found a can of half drank coke in the catwalks over the audience). When they asked me why I could have it and they couldn't? I am older. *lol*

Mike

Of course when I taught high school theater the kids were not allowed any food or drink anywhere in the theater (after I found a can of half drank coke in the catwalks over the audience). When they asked me why I could have it and they couldn't? I am older. *lol*

Mike

Wow, that's a great way to teach your students to be respectful. The correct way to handle that would have been to make it clear to the students that they need to pick up after themselves. Then if it continues to happen revoke the privilege, though I doubt it would work much. And if you revoked that privilege, don't go around saying, I'm older so I can do that and you can't. Be a good example for your students.

At my theatre, we tell the actors they can't have food or drink on the stage, and during every show we end up letting them have it in the house and then revoking their privileges. We are the ones who end up cleaning their mess up if they don't, and we clean up our own messes too... they understand this concept and most of them respect it. But unfortunately, it only takes one idiot to ruin for everyone. It's especially hard to enforce the rule when your director is completely rude and is doing most of the garbage leaving in the house.

But I will never use or tolerate the use of the excuse that you can do something just because you're older. That is the worst excuse I have ever heard and it's insulting. Especially to high schoolers who are coming close to adult-hood and working hard jobs in a theatre only to be treated like children.

Last edited:
Wow!
-a thread nearly 5 years old is still active
-thread started by a member whose only posted once
-the original post was a really dumb mistake
-currently has 251 replies
-longest thread on CB? It's got to be close

Subcinco wherever you are we salute you!

Wow!

I've noticed that about this forum. If you do a search you can probably find the answer to you question. And if someone does post a question that has already been asked he is pointed back to an older post, so threads can get really long.

Edit: Now 253 replies!

Last edited:
Our board just came back from maintenence, and according to the tech, he wqas astonished all the faders still worked as to the level of chips/crumbs/other stuff in there.

Pretty much all food is not banned from the booth >.<

Wow, that's a great way to teach your students to be respectful. The correct way to handle that would have been to make it clear to the students that they need to pick up after themselves. Then if it continues to happen revoke the privilege, though I doubt it would work much. And if you revoked that privilege, don't go around saying, I'm older so I can do that and you can't. Be a good example for your students.

At my theatre, we tell the actors they can't have food or drink on the stage, and during every show we end up letting them have it in the house and then revoking their privileges. We are the ones who end up cleaning their mess up if they don't, and we clean up our own messes too... they understand this concept and most of them respect it. But unfortunately, it only takes one idiot to ruin for everyone. It's especially hard to enforce the rule when your director is completely rude and is doing most of the garbage leaving in the house.

But I will never use or tolerate the use of the excuse that you can do something just because you're older. That is the worst excuse I have ever heard and it's insulting. Especially to high schoolers who are coming close to adult-hood and working hard jobs in a theatre only to be treated like children.

Sorry man, let me rephrase (I was being a bit course in my previous response on purpose for the comical value to all those of us who grew up with our parents telling us they can do things we can't because "we are adults and you are kids") that my real message (no comedy) to them was that I do not drop chips on the floor and when I do I pick them up and throw them in the trash. I also let them know that if they kept the eating area (a small area by the loading dock doors where students could eat and I could sweep leftover food out the door easily) clean then their privileges would be expanded. It was never clean of course, so the rule stayed in place for them. I also told them that if I ever left trash sitting around I would not eat in the theater anymore. Of course, I never did. I also told them I can have drinks in the booth because I don't spill my drinks on the console, and if I did I could replace the console. They could not. Therefore no student was to have drinks in the booth, period.

Our rule was phrased for perfect understanding. Instead of no food or drink in the booth it said "Students are to have no food or drink in the booth."

I was being comical in my original post, I did not mean to offend. I believe in leading by example, in this case I set the example that if you follow the rules you get privileges and if you don't then you do not. Of course there are things that the kids were never allowed to do, like use certain tools, etc. Is it wrong that I used those tools? The only reason I did was because I was an adult (and by default more responsible on the average). Those were the districts rules, not mine.

Mike

Hey Esoteric
I've learned the hard way around here that sarcasm just does not work on the internet. No matter how funny you think it is, there's no way for the other person to read your tone of voice. I've found that Smilies can be used to clarify you are joking. But I've still offended people even with smilies.

As for the discussion of food in the booth...
When teaching high school I had a definite no food in the booth policy. At the college my rule is: You are adults. You know what the potential damage is. You know how much it would cost YOU to fix it. If you have no legitimate reason to be eating in the booth then don't eat in the booth! If for some reason you do need to eat, you keep the food and drink on the other side of the booth away from the equipment. If you break the rules you won't be on the crew any more.

It works in college and with my booth layout. There are lots of other place I would never use this policy.

We have a beautifully ornate cabinet in our theater lobby. Inside is "Pirate Pete" (The school's unofficial mascot) who is a full size pirate carved from a single piece of teak. He was behind glass but it was causing maintenance issues, so they removed the glass. This past season, at a concert, a family of 4 brought in Subway sandwiches and was using the ledge on this very ornate cabinet to hold their chips and drinks. My first instinct was to yell at them, scream at them, "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING?", but I calmly went over and politely asked them to finish their food outside.

People, for the most part, are clueless.

But nothing compares to the piles of sunflower seed shells that appear during the Christmas season.

We have a beautifully ornate cabinet in our theater lobby. Inside is "Pirate Pete" (The school's unofficial mascot) who is a full size pirate carved from a single piece of teak. He was behind glass but it was causing maintenance issues, so they removed the glass. This past season, at a concert, a family of 4 brought in Subway sandwiches and was using the ledge on this very ornate cabinet to hold their chips and drinks. My first instinct was to yell at them, scream at them, "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU THINKING?", but I calmly went over and politely asked them to finish their food outside.

People, for the most part, are clueless.

But nothing compares to the piles of sunflower seed shells that appear during the Christmas season.

What?!?!?! *lol* Were these people raised in a barn?

Mike

Hey Esoteric
I've learned the hard way around here that sarcasm just does not work on the internet. No matter how funny you think it is, there's no way for the other person to read your tone of voice. I've found that Smilies can be used to clarify you are joking. But I've still offended people even with smilies.

As for the discussion of food in the booth...
When teaching high school I had a definite no food in the booth policy. At the college my rule is: You are adults. You know what the potential damage is. You know how much it would cost YOU to fix it. If you have no legitimate reason to be eating in the booth then don't eat in the booth! If for some reason you do need to eat, you keep the food and drink on the other side of the booth away from the equipment. If you break the rules you won't be on the crew any more.

It works in college and with my booth layout. There are lots of other place I would never use this policy.

I should have known that with all my years on BBS boards.

Mike

Wow!

The thread Hey, I though we could share pictures of our shows, started by Jonhirsh has 656 replies, though it is less old. This thread is awesome.

I kind of set my own policy, as there really is not one set in stone. Anything can be in the booth, but not on the platform where the equipment is. Only water/non-sugary drinks can go up there, usually no one wants to get up to get a sip of water.

Sorry man, let me rephrase (I was being a bit course in my previous response on purpose for the comical value to all those of us who grew up with our parents telling us they can do things we can't because "we are adults and you are kids") that my real message (no comedy) to them was that I do not drop chips on the floor and when I do I pick them up and throw them in the trash. I also let them know that if they kept the eating area (a small area by the loading dock doors where students could eat and I could sweep leftover food out the door easily) clean then their privileges would be expanded. It was never clean of course, so the rule stayed in place for them. I also told them that if I ever left trash sitting around I would not eat in the theater anymore. Of course, I never did. I also told them I can have drinks in the booth because I don't spill my drinks on the console, and if I did I could replace the console. They could not. Therefore no student was to have drinks in the booth, period.

Our rule was phrased for perfect understanding. Instead of no food or drink in the booth it said "Students are to have no food or drink in the booth."

I was being comical in my original post, I did not mean to offend. I believe in leading by example, in this case I set the example that if you follow the rules you get privileges and if you don't then you do not. Of course there are things that the kids were never allowed to do, like use certain tools, etc. Is it wrong that I used those tools? The only reason I did was because I was an adult (and by default more responsible on the average). Those were the districts rules, not mine.

Mike

I apologize for my defensive nature. However, I've worked with people who really do and say things like that and it's super irritating. I also work at the Ashland High School theatre so I guess it's different for us. The technicians understand that if you bring food into the booth you must clean it up; the same rule is applied to the House.-Please excuse me if my semi-colon use was incorrect-And nobody ever has any kind of liquid around our consoles. Every technician here knows the value of our equipment, especially after some of it got stolen over the summer.

I apologize again for the misunderstanding and my harshness.

I apologize for my defensive nature. However, I've worked with people who really do and say things like that and it's super irritating. I also work at the Ashland High School theatre so I guess it's different for us. The technicians understand that if you bring food into the booth you must clean it up; the same rule is applied to the House.-Please excuse me if my semi-colon use was incorrect-And nobody ever has any kind of liquid around our consoles. Every technician here knows the value of our equipment, especially after some of it got stolen over the summer.

I apologize again for the misunderstanding and my harshness.

No worries.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back