Disposing of old spotlights

My theatre recently purchased new spot lights this summer when one of our ancient voyagers crapped out on us during a show. I now have 4 spot lights in my spot booth, and I'd like to pitch the non-functional one to get it out of the way. Is the junk yard my best bet or should I find a way to take it to a recycling center? Getting this beast down safely is another concern that I have. Any suggestions are appreciated!

I'd post it on eBay, Craigslist or here on the CB Classifieds (once you accumulate 15 posts) before tossing it. Start it out at a real low price; someone will buy it. It's very likely that it still has some valuable parts inside. Replacement lenses for example can be very expensive, and someone might be looking for a cheap replacement. I'd buy it just for the stand, except for the fact that I'm on the other side of the country and shipping would be a killer :(.

One could also really use the iris, mechanical dimmer and shutter/chopper.

Edit: Heck, I could also really use the color boom. I'm rebuilding a 1000Q and my color boom handles and gel rings need replacing. Not sure if the rings are the same size, but it might be worth a shot.

Another idea is just to gut it of any valuable parts and keep them around as spares. Sometimes having a spare lens on hand can be a good idea assuming that you have another Voyager that may someday need it. I'd keep the stand around also because, hey, you never know when you might need a good, sturdy stand for something. If at all possible, only toss out the shell. Everything else could be of use to somebody. What part of the spot failed? I'm assuming it's something to do with the ballast/ignitor?

Last edited:
Good ideas Leslie. It is probably worth more parted out than whole.

Where in NY are you? I know a summer stock in central NY that I believe uses 2 voyagers, and may like to have one or both for spare parts. PM me if you dont want to post you location here.

-Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back