Control/Dimming ETC Element and ArtNet

Star topology is the way an ethernet network is laid out. You have a central switch to which every other device is connected. If you were to draw the layout on paper it would look like a star with the switch at the center. like the spokes on a bike wheel.

The one caveat to this that I am aware of is an HP 3Com Intellijack wall switch. Essentially a "remote" Ethernet switch that installs in a standard wall box, replacing an existing (or installed as new) RJ45 jack. It uses the existing single home run E-Net cable to provide 4 RJ45 jacks as well as 2 pass-thru ports. It gets it's power off the PoE from a primary switch. Very useful device and I think we will see more and more of these used, possibly in portable applications as well as we see more and more Cat5/RJ45 capable devices in use.

HP IntelliJack Gigabit Switch Series - JD050A, JD057A, HP NJ1000G IntelliJack, HP NJ2000G IntelliJack - HP Networking | HP®

Yes, that does have the potential to go rather wrong. But it's something that is extremely convenient to have. So the answer might be that during shows we just unplug cable connecting our network to anything else.

It looks like most of the stuff pathway connectivity makes is meant for much grander applications, converting ethernet to many universes of DMX. We're just not big enough to need that.

As for running cables in conduit, we don't have the time, money, or qualified people to do that. If we could, I'd love to. But it really isn't going to happen. And I hardly think ANYONE will walk sideways on the rail on the catwalk (it'd be worth replacing the cable if they did). Our school really places emphasis on sports (even though we're trash at most of them), so we don't get the budget or attention to be able to go to that level.

And I'm totally down with spending money to get excellent systems, but in order to do that you have to have the money to spend. And I'm not willing to spend a massive chunk of my budget on something that isn't necessary. I live by the buy stuff that allow us to do more/new things. I won't get a cheapsy noname brand of stuff, but I dont need top of the line super expensive when something in between will work just fine. Like next year we'll be getting an entire pipe worth of LED pars. Those allow us to do things standard fixtures just couldnt.
And besides, we're not planning on upgrading the entire rig to use artnet, just backstage (the least important part). So if there's a little risk of failure, I can deal with that risk in order to not break the bank.

As for star topology, can't you just connect another switch to one of the outs of your first switch? (yes I'm aware of all the reasons why you should NEVER do that, but you can)

In a previous post you stated:

"all of our things take DMX; our LEDs and various moving fixtures too"

Plus you have a Unison system as well as conventional lighting and dimmers, with dimmers moving around ?, so distributed dimming ?.

And you've hit a point where the control infrastructure is not supporting the gear.

As to your comment:

"And besides, we're not planning on upgrading the entire rig to use artnet, just backstage (the least important part). So if there's a little risk of failure, I can deal with that risk in order to not break the bank."

Well, it sounds like everything you need to fix IS backstage. And as stated, it's not an "ArtNet" vs. DMX issue, it's a question of whether or not to put in an Ethernet distro. or not. ETC and many others, as stated, make Ethernet distribution systems, that work very well.

"As for star topology, can't you just connect another switch to one of the outs of your first switch? (yes I'm aware of all the reasons why you should NEVER do that, but you can)"

Yes, you can. Done all the time. I have a local switch at my console that connects a 4 port DMX node as well as my Ion. That switch connects to a main switch that provides for all else as well as PoE.

Just curious, how did you get to this point of equipment without putting some money into controlling it ?. Because that's a problem that you are now facing - inadequate control system.

Yes, get the lighting Ethernet cabling out of any other network. That is going to bite you in the rump one night and plugging/unplugging the schools network is not the solution.

Then either pay the piper and put in the type of control infrastructure recommended, or just deal with a lot of DMX cabling, which ultimately is cheaper but messy.

Yeah, we've gotten here by the past few generations of techies being rather incompetent (highschool 4 year rotations and such). And it's just now that we're really recovering and knowing what on earth we're doing. So last year was the first year we through intelligent fixtures into the mix. We started with 2, and then this year we upped the game and got some LEDs as well as some icues. And next year we'll be getting a bunch of LEDs and even more moving things. So the system is really set up JUST for conventional dimming. So we don't really have an inadequate control system, it just isn't always easy to setup/use.
NOTE: we use dimmer sticks, rather than a central dimmer rack.

And for backstage we've found a way to make things better (previous wiring didn't include sends back into the loop, so DMX ports down the line were pretty [completely] useless). We can fix that problem by running more DMX, but we really don't have the DMX for all of that (it'll end up being like 500-750 ft of extra DMX). I'd much rather have a series of single lines out to the dimmers without needing returns (could be done via ethernet or DMX splitting). And after looking into some things, ethernet is going to be cheaper than DMX splitting; that is if we don't get the top of the line ethernet distribution, which should work just fine(I say with a grand 0 experience), especially for controlling only the 30ish addresses backstage.
And we have been dealing with ridiculous DMX cabling, the problem is it's always changing. So we always have to redo SO MUCH.

Yeah, we've gotten here by the past few generations of techies being rather incompetent (highschool 4 year rotations and such). And it's just now that we're really recovering and knowing what on earth we're doing. So last year was the first year we through intelligent fixtures into the mix. We started with 2, and then this year we upped the game and got some LEDs as well as some icues. And next year we'll be getting a bunch of LEDs and even more moving things. So the system is really set up JUST for conventional dimming. So we don't really have an inadequate control system, it just isn't always easy to setup/use.

And for backstage we've found a way to make things better (previous wiring didn't include sends back into the loop, so DMX ports down the line were pretty [completely] useless). We can fix that problem by running more DMX, but we really don't have the DMX for all of that (it'll end up being like 500-750 ft of extra DMX). I'd much rather have a series of single lines out to the dimmers without needing returns (could be done via ethernet or DMX splitting). And after looking into some things, ethernet is going to be cheaper than DMX splitting; that is if we don't get the top of the line ethernet distribution, which should work just fine(I say with a grand 0 experience), especially for controlling only the 30ish addresses backstage.
And we have been dealing with ridiculous DMX cabling, the problem is it's always changing. So we always have to redo SO MUCH.

Ok, her's the thing, your situation is not that different than many other high schools, colleges, and even professional theatres. In the world of lighting, if you are a technician, hinging, striking and stringing cable is what you do. For me, I have shows come down on a Saturday night, we strike everything on Sunday, and hang it all up again on Monday for the next show. That is a couple hundred instruments, accessories, moving lights, cable, the works. Figuring out how to cable efficiently and usefully takes up a good portion of my time, and that is even with a networked distribution system for data.

You say that your school is investing in more moving lights, LEDs, and various accessories, yet you don't have the money to update the control infrastructure. That doesn't make sense. If you don't have a simple, easy way to get control data to the devices you currently own, than you shouldn't be buying more, you should be updating the infrastructure. You don't need more devices that you can't control, that is illogical. The money that you would put towards that gear is better spent solving the issue at hand.

Given that we don't know a whole lot about the space you work in, it is hard to make good suggestions as to what you really need. However, even with a networked system, you will still have nodes/gateways that convert the network data to DMX, and from each node you will have to run DMX to your devices. So all you are doing is eliminating a couple long DMX runs in favor of Cat5/6 runs, but when it comes down to it, you still need to link every ML, LED, and accessory with regular DMX or scroller cable. You say that you are looking at buying "a whole pipe" of LEDs (I have not idea how many that is), but even with a network distribution system you still need at least one piece of DMX cable for every LED you add to your system.

Or look at it this way, before I upgrade the lighting system in my theatre to an ETC system, we had to run hard DMX for everything. At the time, we ran three universes, so I had three DMX lines that ran from the booth to backstage. One ran to the dimmers, one ran to a splitter, and the third went to house light control. THe one that went to the splitter allowed me to drive devices on the stage level and also sent a line to another splitter on the grid. From the grid splitter I could send DMX to any batten in the theatre (until I ran out of outputs on the splitter). Since all my dimming and distribution lived on SL, if I needed DMX on SR, I hard to run hundreds of feet of cable around the theatre.

With my new network system, I have cat5 drops all over the theatre which allow me to plug in gateways where I need them. It eliminates the super long cable runs from SL to SR and from the grid to the battens, but each one of those runs was replaced by new cable of a different type. Now instead of dropping a DMX line from the grid, I drop a heavy duty cat5 line which cost almost as much as the same length DMX cable. Attach a gateway and then string DMX along the pipe. So, I replaced 2 DMX splitters that probably together cost $1k or less with multiple gateways that cost at least $1K each. In terms of the time required to set it up for each show... probably about the same. It just makes getting data where i need it a bit simpler.

As far as hardware goes, the products made by companies like Pathway and ETC are not making hardware for "much grander applications" than yours, they make products designed to do what you need them to do and to do it reliably. There are other options out there, but if you just buy stuff online from places that happen to have good prices, you may not get the best gear, and you probably won't get good support if you get any support at all. If you buy a known product from a reliable theatre supplier (even the big national suppliers like BMI Supply) at least there will be someone you can call if you have problems. Buying from the big name manufacturers, while it costs more, will basically guarantee you support for the life of the product. That is part of what you are paying for, but it is totally worth it. The other reason to use known brands is that it is a lot easier to get a replacement at the 11th hour when you have a problem before a show on a Saturday night. Odds are really high that if you chose to go with ETC gear (for example) and you had a failure, there is someone in town who could loan or rent you what you need. If you pick something up online that is not something that your local supplier carries or services, you are dead in the water if something goes wrong.

The truth of the matter is, if the project is worth doing, it is worth doing right. As I said before, if you cut corners, you will end up paying for it eventually. It may not be you, it may be someone who comes after you. You say that you are dealing with issues that were left to you by previous students, but why would you want to possibly leave issues for future students to overcome.

It is certainly fun to be on the bleeding edge of technology, but it costs a lot to get there and stay there. I work for the largest regional theatre in the state of Utah, I probably have a budget that makes yours look like pennies, but I own a grand total of zero LED fixtures. I would love to have them and they would "allow us to do things standard fixtures just couldn't." But I can't afford them. Certainly not in a useful quantity. I would much prefer to have devices like SeaChangers rather than color scrollers, but scrollers cost 1/3 of what a SeaChanger costs, so that is what I have. Those scrollers though, not cheap, no-name units. They are ones from a manufacturer who I know will support them if I have issues. It is more important to me to have functional, servicable, and supported equipment than it is to have the newest and flashiest. The only reason that I have the full new console, control and distribution system that I have is because we had a very generous donor who saw that it would be silly to do the upgrade only part way. He saw that it made more sense to put in a full system rather than cut corners to fit in the original budget.

You have to understand that I am not not saying all this to scare you away or make you not do the project. I am all for getting good technology into schools so that you can learn how to use it. There are just too many theatres out there who cut corners and cobble together systems and then have issues that are next to impossible to solve. Most of those people end up seeking help here on ControlBooth. If the system is set up correctly and purchased and planned with a reputable dealer and manufacturer, they will know exactly how the system was designed to work, so when someone call with a question they can just pull of your file and help. If you cobble it together yourself, there will be no one to call once you graduate.

Yes, that does have the potential to go rather wrong. But it's something that is extremely convenient to have. So the answer might be that during shows we just unplug cable connecting our network to anything else.

It looks like most of the stuff pathway connectivity makes is meant for much grander applications, converting ethernet to many universes of DMX. We're just not big enough to need that.

As for running cables in conduit, we don't have the time, money, or qualified people to do that. If we could, I'd love to. But it really isn't going to happen. And I hardly think ANYONE will walk sideways on the rail on the catwalk (it'd be worth replacing the cable if they did). Our school really places emphasis on sports (even though we're trash at most of them), so we don't get the budget or attention to be able to go to that level.

And I'm totally down with spending money to get excellent systems, but in order to do that you have to have the money to spend. And I'm not willing to spend a massive chunk of my budget on something that isn't necessary. I live by the buy stuff that allow us to do more/new things. I won't get a cheapsy noname brand of stuff, but I dont need top of the line super expensive when something in between will work just fine. Like next year we'll be getting an entire pipe worth of LED pars. Those allow us to do things standard fixtures just couldnt.
And besides, we're not planning on upgrading the entire rig to use artnet, just backstage (the least important part). So if there's a little risk of failure, I can deal with that risk in order to not break the bank.

By saying that you are "not willing to spend a massive chunk of my budget on something that isn't necessary" you imply that this network upgrade you propose is not necessary. However you make it sound like you are at a point where it really is necessary. If you have grown beyond the capabilities of the current infrastructure, which is what you seem to be saying, then it is time to upgrade that and not just buy new flashy toys.

As for star topology, can't you just connect another switch to one of the outs of your first switch? (yes I'm aware of all the reasons why you should NEVER do that, but you can)

Lets take a quick look at network topology. If you build a control network you will be best served by setting up a central distribution point and maybe some "sub-stations." Most people either put their central distribution in the booth or by the dimmers. Since you don't have a dimmer room and you want to clean up your distribution on stage, it would seem logical to find a space backstage to install your distribution rack. You will probably need a large POE switch, a UPS, and maybe a Cat5/6 patch bay. From there you would pull cat5/6 lines to wherever you need them, so the booth, various points around the stage, to the grid, to battens, to the middle of the ouse for a tech table, etc. That creates your star topology.

Sure, if you ran one line to the booth, but you needed to plug in the console and something else you could hook up another switch. That is fine, there is no harm in that. If you ran one single line to the grid but needed to be able to drop lines to multiple battens, you could by a switch on the grid (I do that at my theatre, it is a sub-distribution point). that is perfectly acceptable network layout, and is still star topology. Each switch creates a new star.

With what you say here, it still sounds to me like a couple of DMX splitters would solve your problems in a much cheaper and simpler way than a network system. If you run two DMX lines from the booth/console position to the stage you will have
full access to both universes of DMX that you can use with your console. Connect to a splitter and send DMX to where you need it without looping from pipe to pipe. So you either get splitter big enough to send as many runs as you need or a couple more splitters. Then you daisy chain from device to device along the pipes. Simple, standard, and what most of us have been doing for years and still do today. For every DMX controlled fixture or dimmer you have you will need at least one piece of DMX cable no matter how you get the data from the board to the batten.

Sorry, I know that I have gone on for a long time, but learning how to do a project like the one you propose is just as important, if not more important than learning how to play with LED fixtures and moving lights. I have said it may times, if it is worth doing, it is worth doing right. So please don't think that that I am belittling you or your ideas and goals. I want to see you get a functional system that you are happy with and fits the needs of your space. I am just trying to look at it from a practical perspective.

You make a lot of good points. We'll see how the budget plays out, but we might just get some DMX splitters and wireless DMX units. That way we don't have to break the bank, can get good equipment, and solve all of the current needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back