ETC Source Four PARnels

I have used both the S4PAR and the PARnel. I like both, but for diferent reasons.
The S4 par with the swapable lens system is brighter with the same lamp. 750 PARnel is about the same as 575 S4 PAR.
S4 PAR feels more like a PARcan
PARnel feels more like a fernel
I guess is the convenience of not having to swap lenses worth the extra cost and lower light out put?
I would like to hear other opinions on this trade off.
at one venue I work at the PARnell is the only way to go, but at school I would go for the S4 PAR to save money and get more bang
TJB

That is the whole point, A Source Four PAR is meant to replace PAR 64s or PAR 56s, while a ParNel is a replacement for your standard 6" fresnel.

Exactly, both type work well though, would definatly choose to us them over fernell or par cans

As long as we are digging up this old thread...

I have to disagree with the Parnel being a great alternative to a Fresnel. They are an alternative, yes, but like the name suggests they are really a hybrid, and not a replacement. Over the years, many have tried to replace the fresnel. However, you just can't beat that 1822 lighthouse technology when it comes to producing gentle soft light.

The coolest modern fresnel I've seen is the Selecon. They've added a lot of cool tricks to the housing but were smart enough to leave that beautiful lens alone. If you don't like your old fresnels, step one is to give them a good cleaning and make sure everything works properly. If you want to replace them with something cool, check into Selecon.

As long as we are digging up this old thread...
I have to disagree with the Parnel being a great alternative to a Fresnel. They are an alternative, yes, but like the name suggests they are really a hybrid, and not a replacement. Over the years, many have tried to replace the fresnel. However, you just can't beat that 1822 lighthouse technology when it comes to producing gentle soft light.
The coolest modern fresnel I've seen is the Selecon. They've added a lot of cool tricks to the housing but were smart enough to leave that beautiful lens alone. If you don't like your old fresnels, step one is to give them a good cleaning and make sure everything works properly. If you want to replace them with something cool, check into Selecon.

I agree, they are great when spotted, but when you flood you get a wonderful dark spot instead of a hot spot.

S4 pars vs par64s, ill take a par64 any day. Its harder to get a large even wash with the s4par than the par64. As for changeing lenses vs changeing bulbs, its about the same amount of effort for either one. The only benefit to the s4 par is its size.

As for fresnels, fresnels are my favorite fixture, period. Nice large, warm, soft pools of light from a fairly short throw, or just tighten up the focus, a nice long to medium throw.

Saw a Phillips pamphlet on line the other day featuring a "new improved Fresnel lamp." I got really excited!

Turned out to be a "New Improved," Euro type Fresnel lamp and nothing to replace the BTL/BTN type fixture lamp. Might look towards Euro soruces for more modern fresnel fixtures or hold one's breath for the compact filament 115v BTL. PARNel is not a Fresnel - it's a different animal unique in not being PAR or Fresnel. Useful for some but not Fresnel as decided in debate in the past on Stagecraft.

Could fit the need sufficiently but not in a classic sense.

Fresnels... not a huge need to "improve" them I think other than in color temperature so as to keep up with modern lighting. That's why I stock Rosco #107 on the other hand... (Sorry, long discontinued.)

I agree, they are great when spotted, but when you flood you get a wonderful dark spot instead of a hot spot.

This was true of the early ParNels released, but the recent units don't have this problem.

IMHO, the ParNel is a great unit, I own a dozen and like them. But they are not a fresnel, as they do not flood as wide (as compared to a good quality 6" fresnel such as a Colortran or Strand), and a barndoor does not work as well.

The ParNel does not replace a PAR64 wide flood either, which has a larger beam area with about the same punch.

Fresnels and PARs still have a place in my plot.

SB

I have found that putting a 750W lamp in a Source Four Par produces too much heat for most gels. If you are using something with less than 50% transmission, be prepared to change out the gel pretty regularly. With less than 15% transmission, be prepared to see pieces of fried gel falling to the stage floor in the middle of the first scene.

Startling beauty and unmatched intensity for about 30 seconds though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back