Gadgets

I am a High School student and I do a lot of lighting stuff. What are some things that are always good to have in your pockets?

A multi-tool and a Flashlight. These two tools you will use almost every day. They other think to have handy is either a Crescent Wrench or a speed wrench. I also have a small lighting wrench on me but I have no idea what it is called. I think it is a mini combo wrench.

Only thing you really need is an adjustable C wrench if your just hanging lights. Other things that I use a lot are screwdrivers, various meters (gam check, DMM, etc), flashlight, insulated gloves, pliers, a measuring tape, a drill driver, Crimping tool, sharpies, china markers, pencils. I keep all my tools in a bag and tool belt that I use quite often, otherwise i just keep it nearby and move things I need to repair to wherever the tools are.

Also, probably dont carry a multi-tool. Its a good way to have the police slapping cuffs on you if your school has an issue with it being a weapon or something. Our school had a zero tolerance policy, resulting in someone i know getting a 2 week suspension and community service for possessing a pen knife by mistake. A multi-tool has a blade 3x the size, so consider that before you bring one to school.

I never go up with out my stage junk
StageJunk > Home
The tester helps you quickly identify the problem then with the watching head it is amazing. If you do not have a cat walk and have to use a lift this is a life saver.

I never go up with out my stage junk
StageJunk > Home
The tester helps you quickly identify the problem then with the watching head it is amazing. If you do not have a cat walk and have to use a lift this is a life saver.

Ah yes, the most expensive tool on the market. not to start a debate, but there is absolutely no reason for this tool to cost $100 and there is not reason to spend that much money on this tool. As a toll that will inevitably get lost or left at the theatre, a $10 (or less) crescent wrench will accomplish the same things (less lamp check) and costs way less. There are also other "multi wrench" type tools on the market for significantly less cost. IMHO, not worth the expense.

Only thing you really need is an adjustable C wrench if your just hanging lights. Other things that I use a lot are screwdrivers, various meters (gam check, DMM, etc), flashlight, insulated gloves,

Whoa whoa whoa, insulated gloves? As in, electric shock resistant? Do you have a full arc flash protection suit to go with those gloves? Perhaps, maybe, you know how to use these gloves properly, but I wouldn't go suggesting insulated gloves willy nilly.

IBelieve2010, look at these two threads, http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/general-advice/6602-tool-lists-what-do-i-need.html and http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/general-advice/6959-favorite-multi-tool-brand.html Even someone such as myself, who enjoys beating the gadget and tool threads to death, suggests you consult these two threads first.

However, to be basic and make a point: work gloves, decent flashlight, knife and/or multi tool, c-wrench. These are the basics you need.

Perhaps shiben meant 'insulated so as not to be burned while focusing' gloves-

?

Perhaps shiben meant 'insulated so as not to be burned while focusing' gloves-

?

Ah, in that case I'd completely agree that such gloves can be handy.

To clarify, your multi-tool should at bare minimum have a knife, a flathead screwdriver and something that works as a Phillips screwdriver. Scissors are beneficial, but not vital. If you're in a school setting, you can live without the knife if you have scissors and maybe something mildly sharp like a leather piercing tool, but it helps a lot. I'm sure some people disagree with me, but you can go without the corkscrew or bottle openers.

I'm sure some people disagree with me, but you can go without the corkscrew or bottle openers.

Unless, of course, you work at a dinner theater and may need to assist with an emergency situation!

:)

In most school districts these days you are not allowed to carry objects that could be considered blunt weapons. In the school district I currently work in that inlcudes your adjustable C-wrench.

Check your school districts policies before carrying anything to school even if you're using it as a tool in the theatre.

I always see highschoolers asking what tools to carry. Are the schools not providing basic hand tools or at the very least letting students know what tools will be needed? I was never in theatre in school, but all other classes I took either provided me with the tools or told me on the very first day of class to bring them. As a business owner I also carry everything that is needed to get the job done. This includes 4 C wrenches, 4 truss bolt socket sets, as well as my personal tools of multitool, flashlight, etc. If for some reason that's not going to be enough to do the job (it's a large job and/or lots of hands doing the same task at once) then I'll let my crew know to bring those basic hand tools. But screwdrivers, soldering iron, etc. are not tools I consider to be standard and therefore I supply them.

What all I do with my wrench and Multi-tool is I just leave them in the office we have for the theatre that way I can't really get in trouble for having it so I just leave them there. Along with the not providing tools. All we were told to have was a wrench but as time went on you start to realize you need more then that. Since there is two schools in this district and mine is the newer for some reason we got a small blackbox. While the older school got a new auditorium. Makes sense right? Anyways we don't have much since we are only 5-6 years old while the other school has all the tools. But we have the better lighting instruments so it evens out it my eyes.

I always see highschoolers asking what tools to carry. Are the schools not providing basic hand tools or at the very least letting students know what tools will be needed?

A lot of it has to do with diminished or non-existent budgets. Arts programs have been getting cut so drastically in a number of districts that they are unable to hire a competent and trained person to run the technical portions of these programs and spaces. The drama/English/music teacher that takes over so the students are at least exposed to the arts does not often know the full extent of what a theatre should contain or they do not maintain it because at some point students took it upon themselves to run the space and that's how it's been there since. When there is a void or gap in the students that want to Lear everything and truly care for the space things go down and the process is started anew.

In high school I was a part of a very excelled program and we had what I consider a great support from the administration for funding and having a dedicated staff for the space. However, that funding was eaten up quickly, too quickly to supply all the tools necessary. It always seemed that we were short that one basic tool when we needed it, but then we would need it for another year. Granted a lot of this was due to disorganization and misuse by some people, mostly accidental even, many came with the concept of "it's a tool I can throw it around because that's what it was built for," as we all know, throwing a drill across the stage and leaving a cordless battery to charge for weeks at a time (cheap chargers and drills especially) is a really bad idea if you want the tool to last.

I recently was working in 2 high schools and they both had a fairly new and nice building with what I would have considered phenomenal amounts of newer equipment back then. Both of them were not managed by anyone and the spaces were the pride of the schools but neither was adequately cared for mostly because the administration did not know how. In one space they had a pile of lamp bases made up because they did not have anyone to fix them, they had no tools, no guidance, no experience. In the other their battens were all dead hung and they had no means of doing anything other then projecting white light. They had no ladders, lifts, or scaffolding. When a lamp burned out they had to contract some one from the district to come in and replace it, I was told it took about 2-3 weeks to happen. They had few tools and were barely able to get buy on a technical standpoint. We were the first people to alter their plot and use color ever, the administration had no idea anything we did was possible until he saw what we did (reportedly he is now pushing the board to find someone qualified to maintain the space, and I wish him luck).

Both of those examples were due to poor management, lack of knowledge, and funding that ran out before they could finish the job and get the space operational fully.

Staff is actually good in our district we have a theatre teacher/manager for the school who actually has experience outside of teaching and a theatre technician as well who has had plenty of experience which is nice because there is someone to learn from. It is also nice because they don't just do stuff when you don't know what to do they teach which is really nice.

I hear you and know that these are common problems through the entire country. I certainly understand budget constraints, but $35 for 5 C wrenches? Scissors for cutting tie line? I'm not talking about table saws and laser engraving here, I'm talking $50 a year (assuming these tools disappear every year) for basic hand tools. Surely some parent of a theatre student could donate $100 to supply the students with the items they need to carry out the lesson plans of the teachers and faculty. Or forget the school providing it and just tell the students they need to bring a crescent wrench to school tomorrow. How hard is that? If there honestly are teachers who do not know what tools to bring to class then they have no business being there. I think that's another point you were making and I think it should be addressed by students and their parents. If these two groups don't care why should the school administration?

I agree with what you said. But kids are being told what to bring but one main problem we have had is theft. The maintance people in our school has keys to the scene shop and "borrow" our stuff all the time, even our lift. And since our scene shop is just a little bigger then a walk in closet we can't build tool sheds with locks to stop that, as the other school in our district did. Honestly though I don't know why we don't buy those things just to keep around but it has been brought up before. But we just went through a lot of struggles this year with money and budgets along with staff since our old theatre technician was fired and we were adjusting to the new technicians ways but since he has come things like this are getting done, which is very good.

Taking things that do not belong to you is a major problem and should be addressed accordingly. It's very easy to find out who is taking things and not replacing them. Between modern school surveillance and payroll (who's working during that time) you should be able to have a chat with the culprit. If nothing else send out memos and/or address the maintenance staff as a whole. Bring in the principle or superintendent if necessary, but people are STEALING from you and there is no excuse.

If there honestly are teachers who do not know what tools to bring to class then they have no business being there.

That's a valid point, but you have to remember that a lot of schools Drama club are run by an english or music teacher, and even schools with theatre classes and a dedicated drama teacher often have one of the above kinds of teachers who has been moved. At another school in our district the drama teacher doesn't even know how to turn on their lighting console. My school has a better qualified theatre teacher, but I'm still know more about lighting than he does.

The theft thing has been brought up to maintenance, they say they have no idea. The other thing is it has been brought up with the prinicpal and then they talk to maintenance and get the same answer. We actually spray painted our drill guns pink to know if they take them. But it has stopped since it has come up so many times but you can never know if it will stop for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back