Help identify a Light

I found one of the controllers for the scrollers...
football.jpg

enjoy....

Sean...

I dont think so, the name on the front of the case says "The Showgroup", I believe they had a large part in the scrollers, so if there are any of our friends here that know of someone from that group, they might be able to give you all kinds of info...

The problem I had with them is there was a chip that went bad and was difficult to find, I felt it was not worth the effort on my part to continue the hunt...I donated the light/scroller to a high school that had nothing, that would manually move the gel string to the color they wanted for the show...at least thats what I heard they were doing,

so dont really throw anything away, someone might really need/want it(my wif might disagree...lol)

Sean...

so dont really throw anything away, someone might really need/want it(my wif might disagree...lol)

Sean...

Isn't that the truth. I recently scrapped out several Altman A-lamp 6' strips, which would be mostly useless to a lot of us. I spoke with a school TD literally the next day whose previous school was using coffee cans for lights.

Unfortunately , still no luck on finding the manufactur of these lights. Someone through the name out of a lighting guy named john Walsh . I let you know if I get a response

I'm told the PAR can is "standard" - probably Thomas.
The Color Changer is thought to be made by Jack Jester who worked for Showlites. Also the data cable to the color changer looks like very early Varilite - Jack Jester is probably responsible for that.

Product confirmed. First conformation was by Bob Gordon, Second is by Nook the LD - current editor of PLSN magazine and all around great friend. (Note two different people responsible for making the product mentioned.)

"Those are the old Showlites scrollers. They and the par can were made by Eric's company. The scrollers were welded to the par cans. Which were hard wired to siz light bars with no connectors.
So if the scroller failed we had to chop the wires in half and unbolt the par w scroller, put a new one in and use butt crimps to connect. By the end of a tour leg we could no longer focus some of these lights due to short cords to the 6 lamp bar. Pathetic."

Richard "Nook" Schoenfeld

Last edited:
More from Nook:

"Back by 1992 showlites had 6 different home made par 64s. Each had a removable cap. Some screwed on w a small turn. Some piped on with holes. We were always searching for matching parts. The showchangers ran from a briefcase digital controller in a Haliburton. We would reset a 100 of them every night. "

Wow great info. I really do appreciate the information and history.Thisshould make my search a bit easier. Just to be clear, the company that made these particular strollers we're showlites?

Your serch should be easier if those selling them knew the same info you did. Yes Showlites is double conformed. If the seller knows this info though, and how rare they are $$$ I seriously doubt any exist. Even where I work history has been deleted by way of dumpter.

Big boss at work wants to expand the conventional lighting museum to movers (in spite of that "saving" concept). Movers are managed by a different manager and repaired by a different department. My perfect excuse in not my problem - if you want them, get someone else. Scroolers also are not under my supervison and if we had any, it was well before my time in gone. Sorry, my focus is on conventionals in even passing on followspots and stuff went down w/o me saving them moving light wise. Backlogue.

If you want the suitcase let me know,

I am not sure if that high school has any of the light/scrollers anymore...I will ask, they went thru a friend, I dont personally know them...

Sean...

New forum confuses me in not often going theree any longer. If appairently about some fixture I don't have, contact me off line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back