Hey, I thought we could share pictures of our shows...

thanks

I must give credit to our crews...at least for into the woods...we all worked so hard to make that set (shivers at mention of chickenwire and styrofoam to this day). Again, i believe that was our best...
I was master carpenter / std (student tech director) for fiddler - the show was fun but nothing was really a "wow" factor this year...

everyone's pics look great...can't wait to see more!

I Ld'd on a few shows at my school, here's a link to my schools website with a few shots from Jekyll and Hyde and Beauty and the Beast. God, I wish i had the publicity phots, maybe I'll post them later just to see what you guys think.

http://www.lvacademytheatre.org/

This fella took photos of Jekyll in Nebraska.

http://68.96.130.34:2394/rbruhn/Jekyll and Hyde/index.htm

Anyways, leave comments, I really enjoyed seeing what other school are working on now. I look forward to seeing more.

Hey, welcome to controlbooth.com!

Thanks for the pictures!

I really like the look with the masked men in blue with the green cyc and the pink smoke. It is really a unique look and one that I am guessing really fit the moment.

On another note... our school would never be allowed to do a play like that.... just judging by the costumes (or semi-lack of them more specifically).

The look where he is at his workbench and the bench seems to be glowing really brightly is also very cool. did you have lights in the counter or just very focused overhead lights? Please share!

Once again, welcome to controlbooth.com! Please post away and share your tricks and tips with us! (I know there is alot i could learn from you just by lookin @ your pics!)

Welcome To Controlbooth.com!
--The Official Welcome Wagon (part 2)

Thanks!

Wow, thank you for the warm comments and questions, with all the trash talking and the back stabbing that goes on between the technicians at my school, it's nice to hear kind things every once in a while.

I really like the look with the masked men in blue with the green cyc and the pink smoke. It is really a unique look and one that I am guessing really fit the moment.

That sequence looked really great from the audience perspective. As the show progressed, more and more abstarct looks were written. Because of the bare stage (Four scrim walls on the edge of the 24" raised platform acting area with staircases DSC, SL and SR of the platforms) a lot of the mood came from the lighting, more so than any other show I have lit. With this particular q, Spider (The top hat fella played by Will Unger) is singing about the main theme of the show, facades. The surrounding "fates" are the chorus (which is revealed later after the climax when they reveal themselves, it's supposed to be obvious though), and they crawl around him originating US and then slinking past him right into the faces of the audience on the curtain of the stage. It looked a lot like the staircase scene in The Exorcist, or more recently The Grudge. Thankfully I had the use of four Martin Mac2000's hanging above the stage (they were the workhorses in this production) to really downlight the fates in a blue, which riccocheted like crazy off of those plastic face masks, while the USR spot technician (We had originally four spotlights on scaffolding just offstage, but took it down to two for Nebraska, this particular spot q was provided by Andy Gomez) nailed Spider in a Bastard Amber. Sillk Green was used for the bottom of the cyc. What really changed the colors though was a black scrim just US of the platforms, but DS of the floorlights and the cyc. We had holes in the platforms and a hazer that shot smoke out through pipes under the stage to them to create effects like the cloud behind Spider. I could really nail it with the par-can high-sides but keep the light off of Spider and the resulting effect was downright crap-your-pants-scary. (Sorry, I realize I split things up a lot when I type)

On another note... our school would never be allowed to do a play like that.... just judging by the costumes (or semi-lack of them more specifically).

All I can say is that around four o'clock in the morning, on a school night mind you, one of our theatre teachers comes in holding a Cosette head in front of his (we used the Le Mis picture and blew it up to put above windows and stuff in the lobby during our production of it in 2002) and says in his best girly voice "Look what Mrs. Hardgrove has been buying" as she comes on stage with two bags (out of a lot more) of Victoria Secret totaling something like $1200. Mind you, lighting that late at night already prompts some dirty, silly, and funny jokes but the addition of Mr. Edwards talking like a girl and Mrs. Hardgrove showing us the costumes that nobody had any idea were going to be as racy as they were had myself and Mr. Morris (The Tecnical teacher and my lighting guru) rolling for a good half-an-hour. I then proceeded to sleep in the theatre for two hours and go to school the next morning.

The look where he is at his workbench and the bench seems to be glowing really brightly is also very cool. did you have lights in the counter or just very focused overhead lights? Please share!

Ha, at first I was going to say that those Mac's were my friends during that show. And yes, they are in this q, but we had already burned one guy alive earlier in the show and this was just another fire effect but on his lab desk after he smashes a beaker. It was one of those face tingly moments in a song, and Taylor (The actor playing Jekyll) just moves so well that this turned out being one of the better moments in the show. I'll see if I can find my archival photos of the show back home in Las Vegas so you can really see how it turned out.

Thanks again for the questions and comments, I love talking shop. I really look forward to seeing what else is out there, so I hope there are a great number of show shots following soon.

Variety Show Pics

proxy.php

Me

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

1.JPG

The floor gobos house entrances

3.JPG

There is FOH, it's currently a mess because everything is being rigged up. There was another processing rack (not pictured) to the left of the console that wasn't set up yet.

DSC05239.JPG

Picture%20096.jpg

proxy.php

hey everones pics look awsome. just one thought is that it might be good to keep the sizes down so all readers can view them.

now to the good stuff here is my online portfolio i just added the new show "can you see me yet?" my last high school show :( second take a look at my wysiwyg renders i could use some coments on them since i am just learning the program

http://photobucket.com/albums/y294/jonhirsh/

thanks as always
Jon Hirsh

Wow, that is amazing Jeff!

I wish I had enough time, fixtures and, well, everything to be able to pull off a variety show like that.

The most I was able to do with time and equptment this year was 6 Source 4 PAR's as basic backlight, red blue and yellow, very basic.

Just curious, how did you run that show? Did you program looks and run off subs, run looks off the bump buttons of subs, or what?

Personally, I only ever have maybe different sets of lights to mess with, so I just hit the bump buttons on the individual faders for the instruments.

Also, what did you use to control that show?

Thanks for the comments Zac.

To answer your question we created a few basic lighting concepts and branched off from there. Rather design per act. They were all ran live with a combination of cues and subs. Cues were used for some programmed sequences that were mostly used for dance acts and the few cd playback acts because the tempo stays the same. So it was a combination of everything, it would have been boring programming cue by cue and probably would look boring.

And if you were wondering, we felt like going no cyc. We use it for everything, why not experiment with a harder look? It's a nice look.

Unfortunately, no intels this year. Next year we'll have them. So lighting should be able to take off with an emphasis system and intels, along with a good several months of experience.

Lighting Console: ETC Express 250
(3) ETC Sensor+ Racks
(1) ETC Source Four PARNel
(75) ETC Source Four PAR
(6) ETC Source Four 10°
(12) ETC Source Four 19°
(28 ) ETC Source Four 26°
(24) ETC Source Four 36°
(10) ETC Source Four 50°
(10) Altman 6" Fresnel
(22) Altman 3-Cell Cyc
(3) Lycian SuperArc (spots)
(48') Tomcat 12" Truss
(2) LeMaitre XS Neutron Hazers
(1) LeMatire C02 Confetti Cannon (Too difficult finding a tech with enough insurance, but we have one for next year so we'll do a little more extravagant pyro. We were insured enough, the district was, but the tech and his union weren't)

If you have any more questions about sound/lights... fire 'em off...

hey i just thought i would point out that co2 confetti cannons are not pyro and reqiure no special insurance. this may be differnt else where but i am a card carying pyro technician in canada and our very strict pyro laws do not even mention anything to do with open flame that is gas or parafin. as well as co2 devices although dangerous and should be treated with care are not pyro.

pyro must be an effect with an electric match, pyro must be fired electronicaly otherwise its a fire work ment for out doors there are exceptions to the rule but i wont go there but you should be absolutely fine with your co2 confettie launcher.

Play safe
Jon Hirsh

Jon is correct in the fact that CO2 or Compressed air confetti or streamer cannons are not pyro. However, you can get pyro fired streamer and confetti canons and as they do contain a charge, are a pyro device.

From memory, LeMatrie make both CO2 and pyro propelled confetti cannons.

I carry an unrestricted theatrical pyro and unrestricted fireworks license here in Australia.

yes but he did say confetti launcher he did not say he had a pyro device with confetti cartages if he did then it would be pyro. The lematrie pyro confetti devices arer not all that effective anyway and they have allot of fall out but this is off topic so i will stop now keep making sugestions and comments on peoples photos and posting your own

JH

I think that your points were very valid Jon and I know The_Guest didn’t specify that what propulsion system the ones he referred to were. Although, based on what he did post, you would imagine that it was not pyro. However, given that pyro was included in the post I just wanted to clarify that both types are made.

Someone my mistakenly think that the two wires coming from one is simply a means of electronically firing a CO2 canister.

Mayhem is correct, LeMaitre manufactures both C02 and explosive driven confetti products.

Because of the regulations of both my district and local fire marshalls, we were required to have a licensed pro set off the pyro. We already own many LeMaitre pods and I believe one or two launchers. But for the amount we were setting off, how many times, and the locations, the rules became more strict.

Unfortunately (but fortunately there are such rules and regs) due to the requirements of my district and community, we could not find a tech in the area who had enough insurance. Fortunately my school has the insurance and the admins approved it all, so I know pyro is possible. And we found this out about a week before the show, so there wasn't much time to search for a guy who has the insurance. Plus, things take time to process, we were pretty much ran out of time to do this.

So obviously the flash pods/firey effects weren't going to happen this year. Same with the confetti cannons, which are explosive. So we looked into our options, and we rented C02 confetti units. These work great. You don't have to run cable allover the place, you can patch them into a dimmer to trigger 'em, and just require a simple fill from an air compressor. And best of all you don't have to worry about performers getting injured or dealing with local rules and regs. They get decent air, even our first electric caught a little confetti. Everyone loved them.

But wait it get's better, a guest we had at the show knows a guy in his home state who happens to be familar/certified with our local regulations and he has union have the insurance. So looks like we'll take things up a notch next year. That's explosive driven confetti (which puts C02 to shame, and C02 isn't bad at all) AND flashpods/sparks. We've already demo'd all the stuff, so we aren't disappointed. And we already own most of the stuff, so it should be an even more exciting year.

hey just to clarify then if you are saying you have pyro technic confetti launchers then you have a system called pyroflash by lamatrie which uses pods you do not have a confetti launcher you are using a pyro system and putting in confetti pods the only reason i clarify this for you is because if you are presenting specs for a show you should explain your gear properly. to avoid confusion. so for future referance

co2 - confetti launcher dedicated device for throwing confetti

pyro confetti pod - used in conjunction with another device ment for pyro that is being used to throw confetti

non of this was ment to sound angry in anyway and i hope no one felt that. but i find it is important to be clear to avoid problems at the job site.

JH

hey just to clarify then if you are saying you have pyro technic confetti launchers then you have a system called pyroflash by lamatrie which uses pods you do not have a confetti launcher you are using a pyro system and putting in confetti pods the only reason i clarify this for you is because if you are presenting specs for a show you should explain your gear properly. to avoid confusion. so for future referance

co2 - confetti launcher dedicated device for throwing confetti

pyro confetti pod - used in conjunction with another device ment for pyro that is being used to throw confetti

non of this was ment to sound angry in anyway and i hope no one felt that. but i find it is important to be clear to avoid problems at the job site.

JH

Correct JH,

Sorry I have not been that clear on all this. I didn't run any of this stuff, my apologies. I spent most of the time hanging fixtures and rigging truss. But overall most of my focus went to sound, for this show. But thank you for all of your information, you seem to really know the LeMaitre line well.

BTW, the CO2 units were rented. However the confetti and pyro PODS we originally planned to use, we already own. We only needed to purchase a few more pod ignition units and a few confetti pods. We planned to use a total of 8 pods (four confetti, four pyro).

Thanks, I appreciate you're help!

"Into the castle" looks great. I'm diggin' the blue. Can you tell me what you did for that scene?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back