Hey, I thought we could share pictures of our shows...

Though they don't look anywhere as nice as a lot of the pictures I've seen here, I'll post a few pictures of some shows I've done at my church (before I took an undergrad lighting design course. and before I doubled my inventory of PARs)

I bet no one would guess that the "cyc lights" are just clip lights with colored flood lamps from Menards, though.

I do not get to do enough shows where cyc lights are clip lights, and spot lights are mag lights, etc. Its good to learn to think outside the box and be resourceful!

As promised, a couple finale shots from "A Chorus Line." These shots of the finale came out much better than the ones that I got during the run the other day. As always, you can view more here.

Kick line with mirrors.

The line in front of the art deco.

And the wedge.

So, there you go. Enjoy.

Alright, so it's my first time actually posting my own pictures to this thread. This is a production of Into The Woods, done in Thrust configuration, with a very "different" take on the production by the director. It was my first experience designing in thrust, and I was really happy with how it turned out. Unfortunately, due to equipment availability issues with the venue, photo call took place before we had access to the cyc lights, so the cyc is left unlit for all these photos. Ah well.

Full Gallery Here

A few of my favorites:

proxy.php

Cinderella At The Tree

proxy.php

Jack's Mother

proxy.php

"No One Is Alone" Duet

proxy.php

"Children Will Listen" Act II Finale

Feedback welcome and appreciated!

Last Friday we had a Floyd cover band. I wanted to do something cool, but was limited by an $150 budget, and our Expression 3. No moving fixtures, all the lights from electrics are S4's, S4 PARS in the back, and striplights. I had 4 twinspins, 2 had a dots gobo I made, the other is Apollos 3 triangles. Basically everything got a Forerunner.
I'm really happy with how it came out.

Looks great, Will. Moving lights are just a passing fad that will never catch on. We don't need no stinkin' VeryLights.:mrgreen:

Some pictures from the tech for Stars in Their Eyes. They're not very good but I should have the official photos from the performance soon. I was on followspot as you can probably see.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
It is amazing to me how fast the season goes once we get into it... It seems like we just started and yet here we are opening the second show of the season: "Is He Dead?" by Mark Twain. If you haven't heard of, seen, or read this show, you should. This is a great comedy. So here are some photos:

This is Millet and Marie Leroux looking at the paintings he couldn't sell.

Millet and his followers scheming on how to get his paintings to sell.

Guess who is in the dress! "I can't invest in pictures from a painter before he is dead."

The "Screamin' Meamies"

And yes, there is some of this too!

I don't really know what to say about this one.

Want to see more? Just visit my website. As always, comments and critiques are welcome! If you ever find yourself in SLC, give a holler and I will get you in to see a show!

Be kind it was my first solo show and there was not enough time to rehang the grid between this show and the last. With the last design things were a pipe too close to get the front light that I really wanted. I only wish my pictures could do the lighting justice.

The show was The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Kids show. I took the pictures, designed and built the set, hung the lights, light designed, and did it all in under 6 days. Which included rehearsals and the tech.

Ichabod sees the Horseman.
proxy.php

The grave yard at night
proxy.php

during the day scenes
proxy.php

katrina's dream sequence lighting. Hurray for r33 and daisy gobos.
proxy.php

set normal day light
proxy.php

set at night /spooky
proxy.php

various other pictures of set and cast can be found at

sleepy hollow show pictures by last125eagle - Photobucket

Last week we had pop cellist Lindsay Mac. (itunes link) She is originally from the area, and came back to play with her high schools String Orchestra. It was definitely not a normal n/c downlight orchestra concert.

Full Album: http://www.adamsonstudios.com/englert/lindsaym/index.html

I wish I had listened to her music before the concert, we had 4 concerts back to back that week. Before soundcheck Lindsay and I talked about the setlist and what she wanted. We decided to use the Cyc both for the sound and contrast. I didn't have to refocus any of our source4s. The night before we had a band that needed a 3 zone frontlight wash, and Lindsays band setup in the same areas. Its nice having concerts back to back, its always the same general set-up. I spent most of my time working on the CYC lights which hadn't been restored since the last rental, and replacing a socket in a S4 PAR worklight.

Whenever the highschool strings played I brought up the n/c work pars directly above them. Just enough for them to see the music, you can start to see it in the top right picture. Also light would bounce off the cyc onto there music. I brought up looks during soundcheck and talked with the conductor to make sure they had enough light.

The last show I designed, "Cuentos Populares". Great show, very unknown, lots of fun in designing it

Attachments

• DSC_0573.jpg.jpeg
    DSC_0573.jpg.jpeg
    70.8 KB · Views: 253
  • DSC_0513.jpg.jpeg
    DSC_0513.jpg.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
All Altman conventionals (PAR56s, PAR64s, Fresnels, 6x12s, 6x9s, oh and R40 strips for top cyc and rented Altman Zip Strips for bottom cyc)

It's always important to look at what you can do with what you have, not what you can't do with what you don't have.

It's always important to look at what you can do with what you have, not what you can't do with what you don't have.

I worked that plot like I've never worked a plot before. I've never had people walk out at the end of a show I did and rave about the lights before. I guess that tends to happen when they become noticeable more than just lighting faces.

I also wasn't downtalking the Altmans---just stating what I used to light the show. I mean---I'd much rather light a show with all S4's but I work with what we've got.

Last edited:
I worked that plot like I've never worked a plot before. It was probably my most expensive, yet best design I've done thus far. I've never had people walk out of a show I did and rave about the lights before. I guess that tends to happen when they become noticeable more than just lighting faces.

I also wasn't downtalking the Altmans---just stating what I used to light the show. I mean---I'd much rather light a show with all S4's but I work with what we've got.

I've never heard someone brag about a show being their most expensive, especially when it is an all altman show.

Also if you have people walking out of shows due to lighting you're doing it REALLY wrong.

I've never heard someone brag about a show being their most expensive, especially when it is an all altman show.

Also if you have people walking out of shows due to lighting you're doing it REALLY wrong.

I think this is an incredible misinterpretation of what I was saying. My intention was not to brag, just stating the facts. I'm sorry if it came off that way.

Also---by "walk out" I meant---at the end of the show when people exit the theatre.

If only I could use fog like that in my theatre...

I lit (and acted in, actually) a production of Midsummer last year. In a departure from what had been the usual "fill the stage with white light and add a few color specials if needed" strategy, I plotted out everything and was able to achieve some nice effects.

Here's a few pictures:
proxy.php

That's Puck.
proxy.php

Oberon used flash/sparkle devices throughout the show.
proxy.php

Helena and Demetrius.
proxy.php

The fairy ensemble.

-
Austin Powers
Lighting Designer, Sound Engineer, & many other hats
Kathryn Lindgren Theatre
Boca Raton Community High School

here's some pics from a recent Arabic Music concert. I programmed a grandMa and had about 45 movers + 48 dimmers.

peace,

Tim O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back