Hey, I thought we could share pictures of our shows...

Here are some pictures from our Reader's Theatre Production last weekend. Pretty simple, low budget show. I'm glad the photographer only used the flash about half the time instead of for every picture... :p

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

This is really exciting for me! On youtube I found a video from the St. Louis Blues that I did the moving lights for! starts in the video a little after 1:05!
Link!

Last edited:
I have to ask a question. What do people thin they are gaining aside from ugly by taping mics to people's faces? Placing mics over the ear, in a wig (when available) or at the center of the forehead at the hairline works just as well and is much more subtle and less ugly. I could understand if this was a rock concert, but it is theatre. If you feel like you need the mic right in the actor's mouth then get a boom mic and don't use tape. At the very least you can use flesh colored mics or paint them.

Please know that I am not directing this at anyone in particular, I have just seen a whole slew of shows recently, mostly with young actors, where they had mics taped to their faces, and it is just ugly and not really necessary.

I have to ask a question. What do people thin they are gaining aside from ugly by taping mics to people's faces? Placing mics over the ear, in a wig (when available) or at the center of the forehead at the hairline works just as well and is much more subtle and less ugly. I could understand if this was a rock concert, but it is theatre. If you feel like you need the mic right in the actor's mouth then get a boom mic and don't use tape. At the very least you can use flesh colored mics or paint them.

Please know that I am not directing this at anyone in particular, I have just seen a whole slew of shows recently, mostly with young actors, where they had mics taped to their faces, and it is just ugly and not really necessary.

Uncomfortable sound operators? I know our last show used 10, and our board op felt a bit uncomfortable with the levels required for the mics to be at the ear/hairline. It didnt help out capsules are the cheap kind from sure, not the nice ones from Countryman. Thats my guess. Also, people not caring about mics showing. Is it becoming something that the genral public now accepts as normal for a show to have, do you think? I like it looks like crap, but what about the non-theatre people?

Here is another show, Gloria I just finished cueing tonight.

As far as the mic issue, for me it is always cheap capsules when I use headsets. But I try to use the small flesh colored ones (although if you have a lot of fight choreography, the Countrymen can really rip apart).

Also I don't mind headsets as much as I do looking at teardrops on top of everyone's heads (when the mic creeps or the actor doesn't project) making them look like they have huge moles.

With that, on to the pictures.

Mike

Attachments

• Gloria-Choir.jpg
    Gloria-Choir.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 226
  • Gloria-Cross.jpg
    Gloria-Cross.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 234
  • Gloria-Dance2.jpg
    Gloria-Dance2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 217
  • Gloria-Dance3.jpg
    Gloria-Dance3.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 236
  • Gloria-Dance4.jpg
    Gloria-Dance4.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 208
  • Gloria-MaryandJoseph.jpg
    Gloria-MaryandJoseph.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 216
  • GloriaOpening.jpg
    GloriaOpening.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 220
  • Gloria-Solo1.jpg
    Gloria-Solo1.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 227
  • Gloria-Solo2.jpg
    Gloria-Solo2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 234
  • Gloria-Solo3.jpg
    Gloria-Solo3.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 233
We are also running Annie right now, and the trick we are using is dry-erase markers to cover the head mics. It's not too bad to clean, and can be found in a lot of colors. The only trick is with our bald Warbucks, but that's another story.

No pics, just some video of my current show. I am the ME at the Arden so dont give me design credit.
Enjoy!

Set Designer
Tom Gleeson
Costume Designer
Richard St. Clair
Lighting Designer
Matt Frey
Sound Designer & Composer
Daniel Kluger
Puppet Designer
Morgan FitzPatrick Andrews
Assistant Director
Sarah Ollove
Stage Manager
Stephanie Cook

Last edited:
Well folks, it is that time again. I just shot photo call for our third show of the season, "A Christmas Story." It is cute, fun and well received. Sold out the run and added an extra performance. If you haven't got tickets, you probably can't. Five AEA actors and twelve kids makes for lots of fun. Take a look:

We've got lamp post mayhem:

Did you know that every year kids still try this!?

Family fun caroling in the car:

Can't do this show without a leg lamp!

Young love:

A "big" slide:

And a Legendary Red Rider 200-shot carbine action range model air rifle, with a compass and this thing which tells time built right into the stock:

As usual, if you want to see more photos you can visit the galleries. Please feel free to leave any comments or questions.

I just did My Name is Asher Lev w/ Gabra here at The Arden. She was fabulous! Wish I could see this show it looks great.

As I mentioned in some other thread somewhere, I'm doing an outdoor show this month (Yes, outside in December in Canada ... its a blast).

Anyway, the show is The Story: A Magical Re-Telling of the Nativity by Canadian playwright Martha Ross. The theatre is a 70 acre farm throughout which the scenes are scattered and the audience is transported from one to the next by horse drawn sleighs. If you're anywhere near Armstrong, BC, come out and see the show. Its a theatre experience unlike any other!

Caravan Farm Theatre

Here are a few of the production shots:

The "Lobby"
proxy.php

Quirinious
proxy.php

The Three Wise Men
proxy.php

The Wise Men visit King Herod
proxy.php

Mary and Joseph
proxy.php

The Angel Gabriel
proxy.php

Gabriel and the Shepherds
proxy.php

The Manger
proxy.php

Heading to the next scene
proxy.php

proxy.php

Yes, those are wagons. When the photos were taken we were still really low on snow. We were able to switch to sleighs two days ago.

Last edited:
Those are some great photos, Alex and cprted. Wow!

The 'Christmas story' scenery (and lighting :) ) was super, and the Caravan Farm Theatre was beautiful.

Thanks for posting the pix, guys!

Well, a show I designed just opened on Thursday. The show is an original musical called "Scrooge The Musical." The storyline is the same as every other Scrooge-based show, but it's all original music and everything. We had the composer and book writer on hand throughout the entire rehearsal process, which was actually a really cool experience. But anyways, here are the pictures:

proxy.php

Scrooge with the Spirit of Christmas Future

proxy.php

Scrooge in his bed

proxy.php

Fog and low-angle key light

proxy.php

Scrooge in his office

proxy.php

Part of the ensemble

As always, feedback and comments welcome!

Last week we had a free holiday event where local groups perform.

The show was done entirely on the fly, we only knew the order of the groups. It went well, we are used to making it up as we go...

The star gobos are both "homemade," and have gotten alot of use this holiday season.

Nice job Will, and the Natal Star looks beautiful!

The streaked uplighting behind the choir is nicely done as well. Props to you and your crew!

An in progress shot from a booth I lit yesterday. Gear was 60x Chauvet ColorSplashs.

proxy.php

Nice booth design and truss toners Victor. What is the product line being shown?

Did sound, lights and 3 camera video shoot for the 114th Holly Ball. Set up Sunday, the event was Monday night and loaded it out this morning, started at 8:00 AM by myself and Cheryl joined me about 10:00. Got back to the shop just after twelve.

Here's a couple shot from last night.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

This was the first large production that i designed and ran lighting for (I've been in lighting for less than a year- 9 months). This was a Christmas production my church(James River Assembly) put on. Let me know what you guys think.
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back