High end color pro fixtures

What are you using them for?

Mike

Overall, a good quality product. I only ever used the fx version, for fiber optic curtains. No idea about the other versions. It doesn't like to be turned on without dmx coming into it. Otherwise, it will sit for a few minutes then shut the lamp off IIRC.

Mike
I will be using these for 4 wash lights out in front on both sides of a band. They wont be straight out in front but crossing the stage 2 per side. I wll be using these with 4 Elation power Spot 250.

Len
These are the Color Pro HX version. I seen them used in a rock band show in a club with 8 martin moving heads. They were all MSD 250 lamps and i liked the color matching. Plus it was all Metal halide lighting. In some of the clubs I work in there are 24 to 50 Par 64s 500 watt cans

You suggest to fire up the DMX first then power up the ac on these fixtures. Whats IIRC ? If this does happen just reset the fixture ?

Thanks to both of you for your info
Pete

Pro:
CMY Color Mixing
Variable Beam Angle (HX model)
Good light output
Hard or soft edge
Con:
Not moving head
No shutters

I would use them for high side lights for a band in a second.

Mike

Yes, get your data to them, then power them up. I think the LeMaitre Radiance is like that as well. Lights are programmed that way internally so that if they don't have data but are set to a dmx mode, the lamps won't run forever. If they lamp off, I think you have to power them down for a few minutes. But check the manual because my memory isn't what it used to be.

Older High End units will lamp off if they are absent DMX for a certain amount of time (something that was the bane of my undergrad existance). I thought all units like that for the longest time. And if they lamp off they have to go through their cool down before they will lamp on again.

Mike

I have never used the HX version but I have used the FX version for lighting Fiber Optic Star Drops... It sounds as though you will be using these is a fixed installation setting but I will tell you that in my opinion this fixture can't handle touring!! Everyday there was always something wrong with these fixtures. We started with spares and soon we had more broken fixtures than working!!! I'll never use them again...

They are not very hardy. But we took them on a 10 city tour and had no problem. Of course we were VERY careful with them.

Mike

My department acquired 9 of the first generation version of these, the variety with its own control console and no way to convert to DMX control. Despite the console hang-up, the color and light are very pleasing. The focus is extremely narrow, and the lack of shutters is a bit of a bother.

I'm actually going to make use of them in an off-site show that will be in the round. Using a mobile dimmer pack, I'm limited to 24 dimmers, so having an additional 9 lights that will not require a dimmer will be extremely helpful.

The first generation were junk compaired to the new ones (HX/HXi/FX). I have always had great luck with them (got about 20-30 in inventory). Had a warehouse fire several years ago, and they got a ugly melted look, but they still worked. After replacing out the plastic they look brand new and still going strong. A few of them were plagued with the Highend motor problem, but I think all of those bad motors have failed by now. The new ones do have a shutter/dimmer. Its not super fast though, but use several and you dont have a bad effect at all. One side off the shutter dimmer wheel has a shutter the other has a dim flag. They are also easy fixtures to repair, just as with any moving light DO NOT DROP THEM!!! The glass is not cheap at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back