High End Technospot Lamping Off

JSims776

Hi, all! It's been a minute since I posted here, but I have an odd issue with some fixtures.

The High End Technospot uses a metal halide lamp. As such, it must have a ballast to start the lamp. After replacing the lamps, one of them has started lamping off periodically, with the screen still claiming to be lamped on. I have a feeling that this is being caused by a weak ballast, not able to maintain the arc in the lamp, but I still wanted to see if anyone else has this issue.

Have not experienced this in moving head fixture, but it commonly happens in wall packs for outdoor lighting. Replace ballast and you should be good to go.

As of now, because of other events going on, I haven't been able to find a new ballast and install it. Hopefully soon, I'll be able to purchase a new one and get it installed. For now, we don't use the technospots enough that it's a huge problem.

So, I figured out the real problem. Until I pulled the base apart to clean it, I hadn't realized that the fans aren't even spinning. They're not full of much dust, and they still spin freely. However, the controller board is not putting out any power over thise connectors. Now, I'm thinking that it's a main board issue. I hadn't realized that the base was getting so hot, because it doesn't tell you, it just lamps off.

Anyways, I'll look for a new main board for now.

If the lamp is turning off from overtemp, include in your repair list a new temperature sensor. I've been told that once they are triggered they become more and more sensitive and it's a cheap component to replace. Most of my knowledge is with Clay Paky though, so the High End ones may have a different style of sensor.

If you haven't already, I'd suggest making friends with lightparts.com. At one point they handled all of mfg. service for (I may be confusing TecnhoSpot and TechnoBeam). If memory serves, sometime last decade, HES sold TechnoXXX to Strong (followspots) where the brand whithered and died.

Lamp Dousing is the term.

Do the easy first in verifying the lamp and socket is not the problem. "Paul Rabinovitz" <[email protected]> is while owner also an amazing source for info, if his company bought the movers he might have info, also the Strong website might have info in recently a lot of manuals uploaded. He helped me a lot on search lights during pandemic and weekly on followspots. He might have info on the product. Good source to contact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back