Horizon Submaster Control Wing

Two interesting comments on this thread

"Essentially it was a big interface face for Horizon for those that could not wrap their head around a PC solution for lighting and just HAD to have a board."

I'd be curious to know if Rosco/ET/Strand/Phillips/Whomever sold Horizon AND Marquee for that matter, in anywhere near the numbers of other Strand products, not to mention 600 GrandMA's, 14,000 Express's, 2,000 Expressions, etc... Very doubtful, but the reasons are probably not because it wasn't a good concept.

Probably 99.5% of the lighting world found programming on a "real" lighting desk, far more efficient then anyone's version of a laptop or desktop plus keyboard and mouse.

Not to knock the basic concept, as the idea of an inexpensive sophisticated lighting computer on your laptop was - in theory, a good one. Except when you you've been programming for 8 hrs. and are getting tired of translating the designers syntax to the keyboard shortcuts. Anyone that's used any of the off-line editors much, knows how tiring and prone to error the process can be when punching in lot's of numbers. Thus the obvious advantage of a facepanel with buttons labeled to the syntax the LD talks, not to mention all the other functions that a box with a lot of buttons, whose location and function you learn very quickly, has as an advantage.

"because horizon has capabilities that other boards just simply don't have.."

The Horizon concept, followed by some improvements to the very intriguing ML control concepts as rolled into some of the current Strand desks, are different and better in some respects then the way other desks handle similar functions. But I think the current crop of ETC Eos/Ion desks, as well as the Hog III"s, Gma' I & II's and Vista desks all do a better job these days then the Horizon software did - 10 years ago.

The biggest flaw in the whole Horizon concept, IMO, was the computer OS the software resided on. To me, the thought of running my event on a version of Windows ME (or 95, or 98, or 2000) scared the hell out of me and there was no way I could rationalize that to my Prod. Manager. Far better to have an OS that was locked down and tested by the manufacturer and found to be stable, then to be listening to the chuckles of the computer geeks sitting behind me in the theater as we stared at the Blue Screen of Death !.

I ran 5 shows a year for 7 years on a Horizon system. It never crashed, but I was running a version of Windows 98 that I stripped down to almost nothing with nLite and loaded nothing during startup.
I think one of the really cool thing about Horizon was a little publicized feature that allowed you to telnet into the computer running Horizon and issue ascii commands that would then translate to DMX. I could control lights from any computer on the network. Another cool feature was the web server. I wrote an html page that had basic house light and rehearsal light on and off buttons. The computer running Horizon was left backstage in a locked box with the web page running in kiosk mode and nothing but a mouse for control. It worked great as an architectural system.
I'm kind of a hacker, so Horizon was right up my ally!

Two interesting comments on this thread

"Essentially it was a big interface face for Horizon for those that could not wrap their head around a PC solution for lighting and just HAD to have a board."

I'd be curious to know if Rosco/ET/Strand/Phillips/Whomever sold Horizon AND Marquee for that matter, in anywhere near the numbers of other Strand products, not to mention 600 GrandMA's, 14,000 Express's, 2,000 Expressions, etc... Very doubtful, but the reasons are probably not because it wasn't a good concept.

Probably 99.5% of the lighting world found programming on a "real" lighting desk, far more efficient then anyone's version of a laptop or desktop plus keyboard and mouse.

Not to knock the basic concept, as the idea of an inexpensive sophisticated lighting computer on your laptop was - in theory, a good one. Except when you you've been programming for 8 hrs. and are getting tired of translating the designers syntax to the keyboard shortcuts. Anyone that's used any of the off-line editors much, knows how tiring and prone to error the process can be when punching in lot's of numbers. Thus the obvious advantage of a facepanel with buttons labeled to the syntax the LD talks, not to mention all the other functions that a box with a lot of buttons, whose location and function you learn very quickly, has as an advantage.

"because horizon has capabilities that other boards just simply don't have.."

The Horizon concept, followed by some improvements to the very intriguing ML control concepts as rolled into some of the current Strand desks, are different and better in some respects then the way other desks handle similar functions. But I think the current crop of ETC Eos/Ion desks, as well as the Hog III"s, Gma' I & II's and Vista desks all do a better job these days then the Horizon software did - 10 years ago.

The biggest flaw in the whole Horizon concept, IMO, was the computer OS the software resided on. To me, the thought of running my event on a version of Windows ME (or 95, or 98, or 2000) scared the hell out of me and there was no way I could rationalize that to my Prod. Manager. Far better to have an OS that was locked down and tested by the manufacturer and found to be stable, then to be listening to the chuckles of the computer geeks sitting behind me in the theater as we stared at the Blue Screen of Death !.

The biggest flaw that you mention was covered in the "installation" process of horizon. they specifically state that the most stable environment for horizon is a fresh installed CLEAN operating system NO OTHER PROGRAMS INSTALLED OR RUNNING while you were using the horizon program. You were also for a more stable environment not supposed to attach it to the internet as windows downloads packets without asking a user permission. they state this in the installation guide that came with the software. So while you say that the operating system was not stable enough. i call bull%#% on that because i have found many blue screens of death on consoles before i ever ran into problems with horizon.

The biggest problem with a computer based solution is the "computer literate" people who say oh well you can install other things on the lighting computer.

/rant

either way, it was a huge step forward that the standard lighting set up where to control a large amount of dimmers you needed a large board. while with horizon you could control up to 512 with a single, Bought anywhere, PC.

it made it much more affordable to use lighting equipment seeing as a Gma system costs in the upwards of 20 grand just to buy the console. so while you say it had little use, i say that it was one of the deciding factors to educating new people about lighting.

i was trained on both a board and horizon at the same time, i would easily take horizon over the board as the board was limited to a single setup of screens that was not customizable in any way.

Are you still looking for a wing panel. I have one that I would be willing to give up for the right price. the panel, power supply and connection cable. All work great just missing one of the knobs for the faders.

How do you configure Horizon to use the Pathport (Uno for me)?

By "Horizon Box" you must have been referring to their parallel interface. I was curious about your phrasing there. In your case, that does hold the license and was designed as an off the shelf solution for a small single universe system. Not all systems have that. Many of them just have some sort of PC with a dongle. Our whole system runs on a network with PathPort Nodes doing all of the converting of the control signal via CAT 6 cable to DMX 512, so I can plug a computer in at any point in the network and run Horizon from there. Sounds like you have a more traditional DMX backbone system where the control signal is converted immediately to DMX512 via the parallel interface, then run through your facility.

I have had both of my wings for over 6 years, not aware of any other versions of the unit. However, it has been around since the late 90's, so that certainly could be possible. I do agree with you though, it would take a bit of programming to get something custom made to work correctly.

~Dave

Not much configuring needed. I have a portable set up like this with a net book. You connect your computer to a POE switch with a standard network cable, then you connect the switch to the PathPort Uno with another standard network cable. Finally, connect the DMX out of the UNO to your system (dimmer rack, string of moving light fixtures, opto splitter, etc.) You should get both the blue and yellow light on the Uno indicating POE power and DMX signal.

You will need to be sure to disable your firewall on your PC, make sure you are set up for TCP / IP network in your network setting, use 192.168.1.51 as your IP Address and set the sub net mask to 255.255.255.0.

Horizon will not work with Windows 7, so you will have to run it in compatibility mode. If you are using a Windows 7 machine there is an easy work around. After you load the Horizon software on to your PC, right click on the horizon desktop icon, choose "properties" at the bottom of the menu that appears, then click on the "Compatibility" tab, then check the box that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" then choose Windows XP from the drop down list below it.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me or to post here with any issues you may have.

~Dave

Last edited:
Dave,

The only comment I'd add is that Pathports arrive with a default IP of 10.x.x.x with a subnet mask of 255.0.0.0. These settings are very easy to change with Pathport Manager configuration software (free off the Pathway website), and it's always best to have the Uno (or other Pathports) and the computer running Horizon use compatible IP/subnet settings.

However, because Pathport Protocol is broadcast-based (and admittedly because the Uno is not all that smart), even with mis-matched IP/subnet settings, the system very likely will output DMX. However, this isn't true if you're using our current 4-port or 8-port nodes, which are smart enough to check incoming data packet addresses.

Robert.

Robert Armstrong
Technical Sales
Pathway Connectivity
Pathway Connectivity Inc. - Home

I have two at work and one here at home in my office closet :) Have you tried calling Horizon Tech Support? They are technically discontinues, but the last 3 people I sent that way were able to get what they needed (upgraded licenses and a parallel interface). It is worth a shot.

~Dave
hi Dave do u still have any wings for horizon

Hi Dave,

Old thread, but still useful - thanks for the info.

We like the Horizon software but the parallel port interface doesn't play well with WinXP or Win7 which would make make it difficult to ever replace our booth computers if they die (they currently run Win2K and Win98!).

I bought a Pathport Uno and a Trendnet POE injector, Horizon support set me up with a USB key over the phone, and it was pretty easy to get it going except that the Pathport Manager assigned a static IP address that conflicted with another device so I had to manually configure it. Also, it took me about 15 minutes to figure out that I had to close down the Pathport Manager app before Horizon could access the Uno; they apparently can't both talk to the Uno at the same time.

Oddly, Horizon's Interface Status window shows "Pathport Input" for the interface type even though it's an output node, and it displays the first digit of the serial number incorrectly. This doesn't exactly inspire confidence, but it does seem to be outputting DMX correctly!

Tim.

I always thought more could have been accomplished with Horizon - hated to see it go, and kudos to you for still having a functioning Win98 machine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back