If you could go back...So I would like to know from professionals who have been worki

So I would like to know from professionals who have been working for a while. If you could go back to school, what additional degree/minor/types of courses would you take?

Re: If you could go back...So I would like to know from professionals who have been w

From a design standpoint - more art appreciation and survey courses.

Some formal instruction in business processes. Specifically accounting and how to make and keep track of a balance sheet, what all of the numbers mean, etc.

Lots more drawing classes.

Last edited:
Re: If you could go back...So I would like to know from professionals who have been w

Personally speaking none.

My grandfather told me many many years ago hard work is the best education. In my field there generally is no school that teach Event Production, lighting, generators, theme prop building, sales, accounting, law, safety, rigging, transportation, buying, selling, design, color, painting, fabrication, special effects, and on and on and on.

Oh sure I could have taken courses in all these individually but I would be in school indefinitely.

I jumped in with both feet and learned my craft as I went along.

Business law and accounting would have been useful.

It took me five years to graduate as it is, any more classes and I might still be there. Okay, it's 25 years later so even I probably would have run out of courses by now. ;)

I see accounting/business mentioned, I took two semesters of business only to then be told I actually had to take accounting to fulfill the plan of study requirements, so I ended up with a year of both. Knowing some of the basics helps, but learned almost all of the practical application 'on the job'.

Probably one of the best choices for me was some entry level building construction classes. Real useful to learn about the different elements and systems in a building and the roles of the people involved in the design and operation of a building. I don't build concrete forms or do heat load calculations but understanding how such details fit into a building design and construction gives a much better understanding of the 'big picture'.

I doubt that I would go back for another degree unless I was planning on changing careers. I have considered going back to school and taking classes in networking, electronics, and things like that. While I have learned much of this on the job from many competent individuals, there is a different level of theory that you learn in the classroom. Often times going back to school is not necessary since there are specific workshops in individual areas of interest that can be taken (especially industry specific).

I guess the difference between learning on the job or having formal training can be most evident in musicians. You can have the rare talent (even percussionists like Keith Moon) who are self taught and shine brilliantly, and then there are the other people who have the ability to play three chords really well and make a living off of it. The problem is education is only what you make of it. Just because you take a class doesn't make you a better employee, but it can give you the tools to become a better one.

So, I guess the question is, where do you want to go with your life? Education may be beneficial, but it also may be a burden that you don't need.

Depends on what area you're talking about. As a designer, more history and art appreciation classes. I'd love to have a bit more basic knowledge in those areas. And maybe some entry level construction and electrical engineering classes. I explain to my students that the best thing they can do is get the most well rounded education in undergrad. Take as many classes that you can fit in without hurting your degree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back