Design Lighting a few sequences for Oklahoma....

I'm a drama tech at a school and we are doing a production of Oklahoma! I have to light a few scenes and I was just after some suggestions on how people would go about lighting them....

Even if you only have a suggestion for one of them, it would be much appreciated!

1. A dream sequence, with what the director has described as 'dreamy lighting.'

2. A sunrise to open the play (bare in mind we have no intelligent lights!)

3. A dingy little cabin, the director has asked for 'eerie' lighting

Thanks a lot for any replies!

I'm a drama tech at a school and we are doing a production of Oklahoma! I have to light a few scenes and I was just after some suggestions on how people would go about lighting them....

Even if you only have a suggestion for one of them, it would be much appreciated!

1. A dream sequence, with what the director has described as 'dreamy lighting.'

2. A sunrise to open the play (bare in mind we have no intelligent lights!)

3. A dingy little cabin, the director has asked for 'eerie' lighting

Thanks a lot for any replies!

I remember doing Oklahoma about five years ago at our local high school; it's a fun show..a little sappy..but fun and well known. I'm running on little sleep as we're gearing up for our run of Les Mis this week, so I apologize in advance.

1. Sunrise - simply utilizing one or two fixtures on a boom off-stage (either left or right, depending on where you'd plan your sun to "rise" from. I'd utilize a slightly more saturated orange/amber/light red. If you run pipe ends or high sides, maybe try throwing in a less saturated yellow or light orange to provide a bit of top/side light. Depending on what you have for cyc fixtures, utilizing a few Altman scoops or a single-cell ground cyc unit could allow you to add a yellow/light orange sun to the lower cyc to further perpetuate the idea of a sun.

2. The shack - we had a couple of breakup gobos (a weaved straw mat and parallel lines) in our 1st FOH ladder - one each SL and SR. We threw a saturated purple in one and a fire red/orange in another. To finish it off we had a fresnel gelled dark blue (I think). We were taking the angle of a more dangerous/mysterious atmosphere. I believe the shack is the scene with Curly's fight if I'm not mistaken?

3. The dream scene - while not lighting, dry ice or a light fog/haze can greatly add to the effect. Using a shin buster as side light, gelled with a deep blue, purple, or even clean white/no-color blue, can be effective combined with atmospherics. If you want more punch, use some US back light to silhouette your performers.

While we are fortunate to have Stage Scans and 24 scrollers, intelligent lighting does give one more options, but you can definitely achieve a lot of great and stunning looks with pure conventionals as has been done for years. Feel free to ask with any other questions.

The answer to this question is more complex than "here are some things". What does "dreamy lighting" mean to you? What does "Creepy Lighting" mean? Can you project the sunrise? Do you need to? This gets in to what a designer does, and that is come up with what all these things are supposed to look like. A dream sequence can be done many ways, and it really all depends on what the show is (to you and the creative team) about. That will further motivate what everything looks like, and allow you to choose a story to tell. At that point, you can move on to deciding what each scene will look like, and then how you light it. Now Im a bit confuddled how you only end up lighting a few scenes from this show. Usually the designer does the whole thing, so if you could explain that situation that would be good. Further, I would encourage, instead of asking for ideas on lighting a scene, to come up with those ideas yourself and then ask how to do them if your having trouble figuring that bit out. If you really want my ideas on how to light your show, you can hire me, but honestly it sounds like thats your job not mine. Its one thing to ask "how do you like to focus and color top light systems" and quite another to say "how should I light this dream sequence in Oklahoma!". So the real thing you need to do is start with your own ideas. Draw some pictures, and figure out what a dream sequence looks like in your head. Then start figuring out what those pictures imply. Do you need to have a lot of gobos, or are you opting to light everything with top 6000k white lights? Or is everything purple? Or green? What does a dream even look like? What does an eerie shed look like? Is it creepy because its dark and dim, or is is eerie because its lit in florescent tubes like a hospital? Or is it green too?

Your sunrise is a more technical consideration, but consider that you might not need to have the sun be lights. What if its a big honking circle of luan on the lineset just DS of the cyc. There could be a light under it that sends red light in a spike over, then the groundrow kicks in orange and red in some spots, red streaks from the side, then the sun flys out as the groundrow crossfades to blue and the upper cyc lights cross from purple to sky. Red cloud streaks out and some whisps of white clouds in. You could do that. Or you could video tape the sun rising, mess with it in Final Cut, and project the whole thing on the backdrop with a big 20k projector or something. Or a lot of small ones.

As you can see, there are lots of ways to do these things. As a designer, your job is to come up with one, make it your unique product, and then figure out how to execute it. Does that help?

Judd's cabin isn't really an errie scene, dark and foreboding is a better description. I used chocolate as a warm color. Try it, then decide on a cool to offset it. A scrim might be something to consider for the dream sequence, plus maybe some fog and side booms.

I am with Michael, I did it rather dark, and used a lot of high angles to create that feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back