Lighting a Scrim

Mutch

Hi,

I just purchased a Chameleon Scrim 15x30. Now I have to light it. I'm thinking of the following, I could install....
- 2 banks of Selecon Cycs/Hui's (3 lights in each bank)
- 2 LED Light Bars
- Approx. 10 LED PARs.

Any suggestions on what would give me the best look? I've never used a scrim before and all I want to accomplish is to flood the scrim a certain color. ie: orange for a morning/evening scene.

Thanks for any advice

This is a very broad and near impossible question to answer. The "best" way to light anything is always show specific. Some more information on the scrim, such as color, and what is the purpose of the scrim, and what are you trying to accomplish with it would be some helpful information to start with.

Tim

Thanks for the replies. First, I'm not sure of the show, I'm just getting our "Cafetorium" set up. The scrim is something we will incorporate into shows when needed. I can have the electrician wire where ever it is necessary. I guess what I want to have is to add more presence to the stage. I was hoping by changing the scrim colors everynow and then it would give a new feel to the scenes without a lot of props. The scrim is a light gray color.

Hope this clarifies a bit...

Well I am mot sure of much color that scrim itself will pick up. So things like bold colors not need a solid surface like a cyc. When you light behind your scrim you will se through it. when you light in front it will be solid gray looking. There are many many fun things that can be done with scrims though.

Do you have a cyc as well? It sounds like you are trying to use a scrim where you should be using a cyc?

Totally agree. If you are looking for a moderately EVEN wash across the scrim, your PARs will probably not spread enough. You have to light a scrim pretty obliquely otherwise you just punch through to the surface behind. Your strips can be placed close enough for something even, but like xander says, it really looks like you want your scrim to do what a cyc does 100x better . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back