More about our LOVELY Status.

I think I have figured out the main communication gap you are having. Your console (the Status) only supports 48 control channels. Those 48 channels correspond to 48 faders. A console like Express (and most newer consoles) support more control channels than they have physical faders. So you can patch a dimmer into a channel that doesn't have a fader and then call that channel with the keypad. Call dimmers alone is possible, but you can't write them into cues or subs without first patching them into a channel.

Precisely.

[user]venuetech[/user], I think he said all the new batteries keep dieing also. This leads me to believe the console has a bad chip which is causing excessive battery draw.

I think I have figured out the main communication gap you are having. Your console (the Status) only supports 48 control channels. Those 48 channels correspond to 48 faders. A console like Express (and most newer consoles) support more control channels than they have physical faders. So you can patch a dimmer into a channel that doesn't have a fader and then call that channel with the keypad. Call dimmers alone is possible, but you can't write them into cues or subs without first patching them into a channel.

Added to that, on the express you can only bring up one dimmer at a time. In Strand 300/500 world you can grab more then on and you actually "unpatch" the dimmer when you grab it. Its a good way to knock out a light from a show.

The idea of channel counts is starting to go away in the world. Most consoles can easily control a full universe. Some can control an nearly infinite amount.

Just a quick note....
Total Channel counts of the express:
24/48-96 Channels
48/96-192 Channels
72/144-240 Channels
125-125 Channels
250-250 Channels
Expression 3's came in 400, 800, and 1200 count versions.
With Emphasis you could take and Express(ion) console into the thousands in channel count.

Strand 300/500 consoles are not hard locked to channel numbers. You can expand the channel counts to a limit buy purchasing more channels and getting an unlock code.

Last edited by a moderator:
Added to that, on the express you can only bring up one dimmer at a time. In Strand 300/500 world you can grab more then on and you actually "unpatch" the dimmer when you grab it. Its a good way to knock out a light from a show.

The idea of channel counts is starting to go away in the world. Most consoles can easily control a full universe. Some can control an nearly infinite amount.

Just a quick note....
Total Channel counts of the express:
24/48-96 Channels
48/96-192 Channels
72/144-240 Channels
125-125 Channels
250-250 Channels
Expression 3's came in 400, 800, and 1200 count versions.
With Emphasis you could take and Express(ion) console into the thousands in channel count.

Strand 300/500 consoles are not hard locked to channel numbers. You can expand the channel counts to a limit buy purchasing more channels and getting an unlock code.

And the Status gives you just 48.. I'm glad we finally got to the bottom of this!!!

Now I have a question of my own.

I have an EDI Bijou 48. It has 2 rows of 48 channel faders (labeled up to 96) plus a keypad. Having never hooked it up to anything other than a studio theatre carrying 24 dimmers, how much control do I have? Does it work like the Colortran, where I can only control what's on a fader, or can I control everything on a fader plus grab higher dimmer numbers (let's say you're running 192 dimmers) by using the keypad like on an Express?

Maybe it's time to take it up to my local community theatre and run it through its paces.

And the Status gives you just 48.. I'm glad we finally got to the bottom of this!!!

Now I have a question of my own.

I have an EDI Bijou 48. It has 2 rows of 48 channel faders (labeled up to 96) plus a keypad. Having never hooked it up to anything other than a studio theatre carrying 24 dimmers, how much control do I have? Does it work like the Colortran, where I can only control what's on a fader, or can I control everything on a fader plus grab higher dimmer numbers (let's say you're running 192 dimmers) by using the keypad like on an Express?

Maybe it's time to take it up to my local community theatre and run it through its paces.

Easiest way to find out is to go into the patch and see how many channels you have by paging down. That only works though if it is like an express console. In strand 300/500 land the patch works much differently. To start a show, you actually delete all your channels. You then patch only the channels you need. So, if you have a 500 channel console, you can have a channel 1 and 1,000 as long as you don't use more then 500 numbers.

Looks like you have 512 channels on that console with the ability to control 1024 dimmers. http://greengate.coopercontrol.com/specfiles/pdf/zero 88/DataSheet_Bijou_2009.pdf

I can't wait for the day when this whole mess is no longer an issue. The only reason channel counts did not match DMX outputs was processing power. That is no longer an issue. I would love to see the day when a console comes with 4 DMX outputs, it can control every slot in those outputs. I think we are going to see more consoles go the way of GrandMA and HogIII and have outboard processing allowing you to expand outputs exponentially.

Channel counts are the number one reason to get rid of your express(ion) line console and pick up a newer one. Anyone who has ever tried to run movers on an express(ion) console knows that you run out of channels very, very, fast.

We still need to work on syntax in this thread. If you want to be able to really control fixtures/dimmers/etc. they NEED to be patched to a channel. Just because you can call up a dimmer on many consoles without it being patched to a channel you have very limited control.

Dimmers NEED to be patched to channels for useful control!

Consider the ETC Express 24/48. It has 48 physical faders but it can support 96 channels. So you can control 48 channels on sliders, but you can control an additional 48 via the keypad or programmed into submasters. Yes, you can bring up a dimmer that is not patched, but you can't fade it with anything (subs, cues, faders, etc.).

I don't know anything about the Bijou, you would have to look and see how many channels it supports.

We still need to work on syntax in this thread. If you want to be able to really control fixtures/dimmers/etc. they NEED to be patched to a channel. Just because you can call up a dimmer on many consoles without it being patched to a channel you have very limited control.

Dimmers NEED to be patched to channels for useful control!

Consider the ETC Express 24/48. It has 48 physical faders but it can support 96 channels. So you can control 48 channels on sliders, but you can control an additional 48 via the keypad or programmed into submasters. Yes, you can bring up a dimmer that is not patched, but you can't fade it with anything (subs, cues, faders, etc.).

I don't know anything about the Bijou, you would have to look and see how many channels it supports.

Just looked -- it's a Bijou 48/96 and has 2 DMX outputs.

Yea, just to clarify (since I've used them at my school) the ETC Express(ion) series DO have DIMMER capture functions... BUT YOU CAN ONLY CONTROL ONE AT A TIME... and pressing ANY button drop the dimmer! Luckily, it will re-patch itself... but yea, channels are the way to go.
Unless you need to actually hunt for a dimmer.
e: ok, fired up the EOL... You can +/- up or down dimmers (once you set an initial check level)... but that's it. Any other button drops "dimmer check mode"

Oh, It seems we have we have gotten to the bottom of this then :) I just assumed that you needed the number of channel faders to use that number of channels. But know I suppose any board that has more then 80 control channels will be good for us : )

Again about the battery, we have replaced it multiple times monthly and now the board refuses to remember anything at all with a brand new battery after one time being shut off.

Off to look for different board now with a new perspective : )

People have mentioned different ones, but if you want to suggest something, we are looking for something with at least one monitor, after using the Expression last year we loved having the dual monitors. Then of course greater than 80 control channels, other then that not to much we would want, except a phone remote some boards support would be nice for a small lightweight wireless rfu.

Last edited:
What type of battery? It it easily removable? Soldered in? Have you checked for physical damage to it's connections?

The battery is a BR2325 lithium. Its one of those round ones. Not to sure, just asked maintenance to get me a couple. The holder is a clip it slides into. It is a little hard to get out, but it isn't supposed to be touched very often. Theres the base, then a metal clip for the positive coming up to touch the top, I have pushed the clip down before putting in the battery to insure it is touching and testing the battery and it was full when but in, board ran for a few hours, turned it off, came back the enxt day and board was reset, tested battery, nearly depleated. So we think it is a fried chip like people have said here. Or the Ram.

also what could cause it... does your maintenance staff turn off power in the building to kill "vampire" devices? if they do it could drain that battery with it just trying to keep the memory in store. Also do you have it attached to a power strip or some other device that is switchable. If this is the case replace the battery and leave the device plugged in and power avidly running to it. also warn the maintenance staff about the need to keep power on to that section of the building at all times.

Look for physical (heat, burn marks, corrosion, ect) on the circuit board between the battery and the memory chips. Don't mess with anything though. If you see anything funny get a teacher to help (to cya) and call the manufacturer's tech support.

also what could cause it... does your maintenance staff turn off power in the building to kill "vampire" devices? if they do it could drain that battery with it just trying to keep the memory in store. Also do you have it attached to a power strip or some other device that is switchable. If this is the case replace the battery and leave the device plugged in and power avidly running to it. also warn the maintenance staff about the need to keep power on to that section of the building at all times.

I don't think disconnecting the board from mains would cause battery drain, as the same thing happens when you switch off the power to the console. Usually the power switch is the first thing on the inside of the console before the input leads hit the power supply. I am thinking more along the lines of a bad chip causing excessive draw.

I don't think disconnecting the board from mains would cause battery drain, as the same thing happens when you switch off the power to the console. Usually the power switch is the first thing on the inside of the console before the input leads hit the power supply. I am thinking more along the lines of a bad chip causing excessive draw.

When you shut off power to a console it still sucks a very small amount of electricity from the outlet. this is to keep the battery inside the console unused/recharged and to keep the memory in the ram just that. I was not stating the power switch on the console. I was speaking of a switch on a power strip or wall outlet. just because the button says off doesn't mean its actually "off".
Just think about your standard computer. it never really turns off, unless you unplug the computer. there is a small watch battery inside your computer for those just in case moments when power is lost temporarily. once it is plugged back in or power restored to the computer it recharges this watch battery.

When you shut off power to a console it still sucks a very small amount of electricity from the outlet. this is to keep the battery inside the console unused/recharged and to keep the memory in the ram just that. I was not stating the power switch on the console. I was speaking of a switch on a power strip or wall outlet. just because the button says off doesn't mean its actually "off".
Just think about your standard computer. it never really turns off, unless you unplug the computer. there is a small watch battery inside your computer for those just in case moments when power is lost temporarily. once it is plugged back in or power restored to the computer it recharges this watch battery.

Most of those batteries are CR2032 button cells. Those are not rechargeable. The button cell is there to keep time in the clock while the computer is off (some computers also use it to store some BIOS settings)

Photo, No I do not think it is.

Les, yeah me too.

Photo, Theres is no one here who would know anything about it, but I will inspect the circuit board closer tomorrow.

I do not believe that the power breakers are switched off during the nighttime.
And it is plugged into a power strip, but that is always on.
But none of that matters, this is what happens, (Example)
I put a new battery in out of package, I close the board, I plug it in, I turn it on, I set it up, save some subs and soft patch some channels, I switch off the board, it is still plugged in, I turn it back on within a few minutes of it being off, all settings are gone, I test the battery and it is nearly depleted.

The connection terminal has been testing and it should be working fine. It must be some chip or the ram drawing huge amounts of power from the battery.

We have gone through countless batterys and given up. The board board stays turned on 24/7 now and we disconnect the DMX when not in use.

Last edited:
yeah it sounds to me like the battery connection is being shorted out is the battery warm when you take it out? also make sure there is nothing on the connectors on the circuit board that could possibly cause an arc to occur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back