More about our LOVELY Status.

MillburyAuditorium

Well. We have a Status 24/48...another idiotic move by the amazing people who designed our place.. (We have a 48 Channel Board and we are running 96..)
Anyways some of you might know that it is has been cheating death for a few years. And last night was it. I have had it with it and I will be bringing up the proposal on Monday.
So I am at the school from 2PM to 6PM sitting around because I thought the music department wanted me to setup mics for them, but the went ahead and used their own sound system because it sounds better then ours. (It sounds worse than hours, and that says something) Not to mention no one was running their mixer. Anyways, so I am sitting around doing homework and whatnot. 6:30 comes rolling around and the doors open (I was running lights by the way) and some people come in. Bam lights go out. Look at the board, its off. Still plugged in, nothing near the power switch, just decided to turn off. I thought it was gone, was a little happy for bit ;) But then remembered that there was a show in 20 minutes.. So I turn it back on. Mind you the memory port was fried when the janitors blew out the lighting system last year.. We fixed it for a few months then it stopped working all together. So anyways, every time it gets turned off it resets to factory default. CMX and all.. So I am freaking out, reprogramming it. The best part is, since its a 48 channel board and our houselights are on channels 55-71, I need to move channels 44, 46, 47, and 49 to other open channels and soft patch all the houselights into channel 48. So that takes a few minutes. Then I got the proscenium, stair, and rear lights on their respective channels. Then I start getting subs up, Had to do it manually of course since people where in there. So anyways, by the show start I was alright, then middle of the show. Out of blue, the houselights come up and down slowly. I was no were near the board, nor was anyone else, no one hit the quick access buttons. So I am confused to hell at this point and praying it wouldn't go out before the end. So end comes and all is good. People get up to leave and Bam lights out. I do not know what to do now, the board was on and looked like it was working. So I go turn the house back on with the quick button in the back, everyone leaves and I am coming back from backstage from checking the dimmer rack and then as I am coming back I see the DMX cable lying on the ground. Apon later thinking, one of the Cable Club members had ripped it out when they were disconecting their connections with the studio. Plug it back in and setup the board for the show next week..again.
If the board goes out right before the show I will tell them a big fat I TOLD YOU.

Wow...

Worst my school's Innovator has managed to do is freeze in the middle of a show while loading a cue. This has happened now twice in front of an audience, and seven times otherwise. I just need it to time itself so that it crashes when the entire school board is in the auditorium...:grin:

Thankfully, an Element seems to be in the near future for our school. Do you have the budget to replace that fossil? If you do, a Smartfade could be perfect for you.

People get up to leave and Bam lights out. I do not know what to do now, the board was on and looked like it was working. So I go turn the house back on with the quick button in the back, everyone leaves and I am coming back from backstage from checking the dimmer rack and then as I am coming back I see the DMX cable lying on the ground. Apon later thinking, one of the Cable Club members had ripped it out when they were disconecting their connections with the studio.

Do your dimmers not "remember" the last instruction they were given if they lose DMX? We lost a pack (12 channels) last week when it decided that it didn't understand DMX any more - and it was the pack which had the music stand lights on it. However, because the pack still had power going to it, the channels which were on at that point stayed on. Fortunately the music stand lights were on at the point where the pack fell over, so the band were able to keep playing, otherwise it would have been a showstopper. The band lights are now on hard power - they were running at 100% anyway and we only dimmed them once during the show, and we can live without that. Our dimmers aren't that new, either - I thought that most relatively modern packs would remember their last state.

...I thought that most relatively modern packs would remember their last state.
Most of the better brands allow the user to configure Hold last look or DMX Data Loss Behavior/Timeout settings from the control module or over the network. Adjusting these settings on an iSeries control module requires additional hardware and knowledge; they are not (usually) user-adjustable.

Yeah, we have an i96 so as you said, not much we can configure. I still have no clue on how to add a preset to the control box... Not really needed but still :p

Yeah, there is no hold last look our anything. If the DMX connection is terminated it will hold the look for 10 seconds then everything will go out.

As for replacing this POS. Well, we will be looking for an Express 48/96, but if we are forced to go through the company itself we will have to get an the Element 48/96 since the Express isn't made.
I would rather an Express. But anything would be better.

As for a SmartFade, from what i have seen there is a 96 channel model but you would have to flip between pages. And I dont think there are any subs?

Oh and to add,

We now how no ability to run Cues. Just doesn't work. I have read and re-read the Cue section of the manual over and over even though I knew I was doing it right in the first place. We usually do not use cues anyways, because if you use a Cue on our board, then the Multiple Scene function is rendered useless, you need to tick the 2-Scene/Multiple scene switch to 2-Scene then back to Multiple scene to get fader functionality again. Anyways, we do usually have one for dimming houselights since the slider are kind of short and 'choppy' so it just looks nicer. Then when it is dark we tick to two scene then back to multiple, but since it is black banyways it doesnt mater. (Going to 2-Scene from MultiScene makes the lights go out then back on)
So I made a Cue for last night's concert, with a 15 second dim. There is no Go button so you need to move both Scene sliders up or down to go to the next Cue. I do that, and the timer starts going and the lights move slowly like they should, but nothing happens.
Also yesturday Spot 1 randomly went to full and would not terminate. Had to move it to a new channel and back..
And another, Spot 12 wouldnt go on until fully up then it went to full with no dimming. Then shrotly after it blew out.

Also to add to the idiotic list of things the desighners did wrong. We have a dimmer that we have NO clue what it does. There are no records of the dimmer wiring or anything. We are completely dumb-founded at it. It is definetly wired to something, and definetly is working.

I would love to meet with the company who did our venue...There are so many flaws, and so many things not taken into account.

Dimmer rack being on stage right and not the rear closest, which I assume is meant for it..
Midway traveler curtain hardmounted to the celing.. With it two inches above the floor.
Wrong size lighting desk for the dimmer rack.
No kind of booth or platform at all.
A center cluster of speakers behind the edge of the stage=FEEDBACK
A wired dimer with no end apparently..
Absolutely no records or plans or blueprints or anything.
An amp box backstage which a lockable cover, except the fact that the main speaker input and 6 hanging mic outlets are there so the cover cant close if the snake is hooked up.

And I could go on forever but I already am way of topic.

We need to find somehow to get a lot of money for renovations.. I was thinking naming the auditorium after something for a cost? It is already dedicated to the principal that was there way back.

Or beg for a grant :)

As for replacing this POS. Well, we will be looking for an Express 48/96, but if we are forced to go through the company itself we will have to get an the Element 48/96 since the Express isn't made.
I would rather an Express. But anything would be better.

An Element would certainly be overkill for your facility, especially since you have no plans for using cues. If you can find an Express it would be your best option, but otherwise a Smartfade 24/96 would be your best currently manufactured option from ETC, as it has the ability to run cue stacks. Have you considered Strand or Leprecon?

Also, there is no Element 48/96. There's the Element 40 and Element 60, each with the option of either 250 or 500 channels.

Well, An Element wouldn't be total overkill, like the Expression 3 we rented last year while the Status was being 'fixed' :p

Anyways, I didn't realize there was no 96 channel model so thats out. Again, we will only get a board with a minimum of 75 physical faders like an Express 96. Thing is, if we go through the school budget we need to go through the actual company. So I need to go through a different source, Drama, Music, or Parents Club. Yeah its dumb. Anyways. I will probably be getting the Music and Drama to pool some money together for the new board and we will need ot find the it online somewhere probably eBay.
There is one of Craig's List now with case for 2100 :mad: Plus like 100 shipping since it is in GA.

And I actually haven't looked into other company's. I will go look at them now though.

Edit:

Little interested in the Strand Preset Palette 2 or the Lepricon LPC

Last edited:
Again, we will only get a board with a minimum of 75 physical faders like an Express 96.

I know of few current boards that have 72 or more channel faders. Strand Preset Palette II is one. However, faders are expensive, and that board along with others are likely out of your budget. I feel you're doing your school a severe disservice by buying an used Express 48/96 (if you're even allowed to buy used) when one can buy a new Element 40 (120 channel faders in three "pages" of 40 each, plus submaster page) for about the same money. Other threads have discussed the impracticality of using channel faders, as well as two-scene preset, in all but the most rudimentary of shows.

I'd like to also comment on all the, perceived, flaws in your theatre.

Dimmer rack being on stage right and not the rear closest, which I assume is meant for it..
Without seeing the architectural drawings, you have no idea where the dimmer rack was supposed to be. I guarantee the lighting company didn't just walk in and say "Let's put it here." Someone approved the dimmer rack's current location.

Midway traveler curtain hardmounted to the celing.. With it two inches above the floor. Another post discussed methods for rectifying this.

Wrong size lighting desk for the dimmer rack. Since the 1980s, the trend has been NOT to include a channel fader for every dimmer. Your personal preference does not make the lighting desk wrong.

No kind of booth or platform at all. This is on the architect, but perhaps the design/construction budget wouldn't allow it.

A center cluster of speakers behind the edge of the stage=FEEDBACK
An apron was built and the stage extended after the speakers were installed, was it not? Can't blame the sound contractor for that.

A wired dimer with no end apparently.. Not all that uncommon. Might have been a mistake, might have been intentional. The circuit may even be there, you just haven't found it.

Absolutely no records or plans or blueprints or anything. I'm sure the contractors provided all required documentation to the proper persons after construction. They're probably in the files of the school superintendent or school board, or possibly with the head of maintenance.

An amp box backstage which a lockable cover, except the fact that the main speaker input and 6 hanging mic outlets are there so the cover cant close if the snake is hooked up. Apparently the designer of the system thought the cables should be disconnected when the amp rack was locked and not in use. Sort of makes sense, if cables are plugged in, the rack is in use, and probably shouldn't be locked. If there are settings that shouldn't ever be changed, security covers for components are available and come in many rackspace sizes.

How would purchasing a board with 96 physical faders be a disadvantage ten buying one for the same price with 40? We have been using a 46 channel board for 10 years and the way our lighting is setup it is HORRIBLE to program. In order to use any above stage circuit above 44 we need to soft patch it somewhere else and all 12 rows of houselights are on separate dimmers. So we have a fader for back lights so we can see, houselights, proscenium, and Stair lights. All the channels for these are above 48. So it is a disadvantage having the current board, we are only limiting our potential. We can not possibly add anymore lights because there is no were to patch them to on the board without grouping them. And then that just gets annoying.
We do not use channel faders during shows of course... We simply want to have enough channel faders all at once to use all our lighting all at once individually.

And believe me when I say, our venue sound was most definitely not installed by a professional. The lighting was from Leviton, just they placed the rack on the stage which is a bit dumb on their part. The noise from the rack fans is horrible.

And about the traveler curtain. I went and checked about the chain and there is nothing of what was suggested.

Wow sorry to hear about your board, at least you were able to regain some of what you lost before the show...

There is no doubt that you need a new console but as I have said before (maybe to you even) individual channel faders are a in my opinion a wave of the past, yes some strand console still manufacture console with them it is becoming less and less common. Also once you start using a cue stack you will love yourself during long running shows (more than 2 even). Yes it will taking some getting used to, to use a key pad for all your channels but it will become much much quicker and editing of course. You still have submasters for those things that almost must have hands on control of such as house lights and also to do those short little one off shows and concerts.

But as regards to the OP that is a royal pain in the:eek: particularly it resetting to factory defaults...

If you want faders I would go with the Smartfade.
Personally I cant stand having faders for each channel. I find using a keypad alot simpler and quicker then sliders. Want channels 1 though 24 at 75%? That's means sliding 24 sliders, or only 7 key presses.

If you don't mind me asking, what year in high school are you?

I think I know why I am not understanding some people here :)

The Status cannot control individual channel intensity's using the keypad.

If it could that would be great, I wouldn't need all the faders.

But having to soft patch every fixture and row of houselights above channel 45 is a pain in the *****..

Since ETC and Leviton use different setups maybe people are assuming things? I have never used a different lighting console so I do not really know..Well except the Expression 3 but I didn't have any time to tinker with it.
Anyways,
There are four buttons on top of the keypad and to the right, on the left is the value buttons, >>, >, <, and <<. On the right there is @, +/> (Equivalent to ETC's Thru button if you hit the + twice) On the top is Record Cue, Record Sub, Stage, Dimmer. The first ones are self explanatory. But if you hit Stage, then you are asked what Channel to control. This is the same as just typing in the channel number, but if your in a different menu you can hit Stage to go to it. Anyways, you type in the Channel number and it is just a different way to use the physical faders. This will also Park the channel. If you hit Dimmer, you are asked to "Channel __ @ __ " It only asks you what dimmer you want at what physical fader. So, you cannot control each Dimmer with the keypad. If we could, I would have no problem.

So you have no actual numeric keys?

Bottom of page 2-1 of the manual cited:
To create a lighting look, channel faders and/or submasters can be moved up to set levels as desired and/or the Control keypad can be used to set levels with commands. A typical level setting command entered with the keypad might be 1 + 5 > 12 AT 65 ENTER.

Not understanding why he thinks it doesn't work like virtually every other board.:(

I will admit that it can be quite hard to wrap your mind around the Status, but when one is working correctly it isn't a hard board to use.

My biggest complaints-

The [now replaced] Status at our community theatre controlled 192 dimmers -- hey you think 96 is bad?!? You could use all 192 dimmers, but they could only be soft patched in to 48 channels. That means that if you have 10 specials, 3 color cyc, 4 color stage wash, 15 areas --Well, things start to fill up fast.

Pressing [1] [thru] [9] [at] [20] [enter] will not bring channels 1-9 to 20%. It will soft patch dimmers 1-9 into channel fader 20. This is the hardest thing to get used to when you aren't used to having anything other than 1:1 patch, or aren't used to running a board that even needs to be patched.

You execute cues by sliding both crossfaders either up or down. For a zero count cue, slide it as fast as you can. For timed fades, slide it faster than the fade time and the computer will take care of the rest. But, on that 20 sec fade, don't you dare slide those faders until the screen says COMPLETE. Otherwise it will take you all the way back to the beginning of that cue. For this reason, you can't start a new cue until the previous cue is complete.

There is a Next Cue button, but no Back Button. There is no way to override fade times on the fly without rebuilding the cue. To execute a cue you HAVE to slide the faders. If there is a fade time on that cue and you need it to snap, too bad - shoulda caught it earlier. Unless of course you don't mind reprogramming the cue right there.

Console writes data to a memory cartridge, not a floppy disk. Cartridges are expensive and delicate.

Small LCD screen makes paging through menus tedious.

Short faders with an odd feel makes smooth manual fades tricky.

Still though, for the time this board was introduced, it was a nice console. It's hard to complain so much about old equipment because that's just what it is -- old equipment. Newer equipment becomes more flexible and easier to use. You can't call the original installers idiots because they installed the best board the school could afford at the time. These days that board would probably be a SmartFade. Build a bridge and get over it. ;)

The Status at my community theatre was replaced by an ETC Express a few years ago because it had been locking up and dumping its memory for several years. They took it in for servicing several times, but the problem never seemed to go away completely.

Last edited:
can you not save the patch onto some type of disk/media?

Do you have a memory cartridge that is referred to in chapter 9 of the manual?

having one would save you a lot of key strokes.

Last edited:
Okay, as far as having a hard fader for every single dimmer is useless how often do you need ex. 100 different lights coming on at the same time at completely different levels, and secondly how do you get that many hands on a desk?
Next, not using a cue list makes it very hard, if not impossible, to make looks or transitions work exactly the same for seven shows. Not to mention, when or if you go into professional theater's 20-1000 shows? Would it not be better to get a desk with 20-30 physical faders then teach them how to set up cues?
Personally, I think whoever taught you or how you taught yourself will cause you more headache in the future with how most if not all theaters are setup. Until this year we never had any physical faders in our main theater it was all on the computer and in cues. we learned both the computer functions and the hard fader only methods.
Also just because you have to work with an auditorium that is not setup IDEALLY doesn't mean that you shouldn't find ways to make it work instead of just complaining to either the higher ups or trying to find a way to make it work. We have many problems in our theater including a sound setup issue which we are getting resolved because of looking on our own, asking for help, and learning through resources at our disposal.
So instead of looking for an overkill board with as many physical faders as you have dimmers look for something that will be easy to teach and also a more common dimmer board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back