New Theater

What my recommendation was to get 2 QSC ILA (installed line arrays) they come with 2 18" subs at the top and 4 3-way speakers, I was going to get 2 of those on either side of the stage. I was also going to tell them to get 6 KW series speakers and 2 dual 18" subs for the front fill, they would be put on the stage deck with the KWs stacked on the sub and then in an arc form so there was no gap of the sound after the tuning... seeing as they just got the bid, that is no longer going to happen and we are probably going to end up with 4 15" speakers hung from the roof with nothing else. I pray that the console was not included, I was going to say we should get an iLive system from allen and heath... its digital, which is what they want, and it is easy to use and, for a digital mixing console, pretty cheap. Ill let you know as soon as I do.
What was the basis for your recommendations and what was the basis for what is being provided? Has anyone created a Program or Needs Analysis defining what the systems need to do? Has anyone performed any predictive analysis for the speaker system? Has anyone been coordinating conduit, power, structural loading, access, equipment space, etc.? Or is the idea to just throw equipment at it and hope it works? For example, an iLive is a nice console, but does it matter what you have if you don't have the connectivity needed at the stage? The process should be that what you need it to do drives the equipment choices and not equipment selected in a vacuum driving what the venue can do.

I am very curious as to the logic behind your concept for the speaker system. How did you decide that a nominal 140 degree horizontal pattern was appropriate? How did you determine that two subs and four main boxes per side was appropriate? I'm not sure which KW speakers you were considering but how did you see six 60-75 degree axissymmetric mains sitting on two subs on the stage deck providing appropriate front fill coverage and not affecting sight lines? Did you have any performance goals for the system and do anything to confirm they would be met or did you just pick equipment you liked and assume it would work?

Sorry if this sounds dismissive but the whole situation seems a bit like ones I've encountered before where users get so focused on products and details that no one can get the 'big picture' information that is actually required to design and bid the project, so they end up having to ignore the users. Don't lose sight that the primary intent for a new performing arts facility is usually to create a functional and effective facility and doing that involves much more than simply incorporating personal product preferences.

Last edited:
Two things stick into my head as issues we ran into with our new building (reno, actually). First, we used to have multiple runs of cable between our booth and sound bay (down a wall, and across an aisle, only 5' horizontally but still bad). However, they never bothered to run any dedicated booth - bay conduits so when we needed to run MIDI for this show... the "cables of doom" reappeared.
Second, the installers for the sound system (will not be named due to ongoing problems) refused to give us full access, so when ANYTHING needed tweaked (reverb, soft patching, etc.) we had to call them. Also, the as-builts were inaccurate so tracking down a bad run is close to impossible. This being said, get as much power over your system as possible, and GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING.

Anyone out there operate a "road house" that is attached to a school?

Yes. Two performance spaces: One 755-seat main theatre and a 150-seat black box. Connected to a high school and owned and operated by a school district.

What considerations were made in choosing the design?

A lot, one of them that was not was "How else can we use this facility?" The first time the superintendent's office seriously toyed with their different options was in the middle of the job interview with the now arts center manager, posing the question to him before he had even seen the space, which was still under construction. Two years in, our largest expenses are the things that we didn't have in the first place that we should have. This includes everything from a circle drive/drop-off for with additional handicap parking spots, which was a $100,000 afterthought, to the little things like chairs and trash cans.

How is the venue operated?

As a road-house. School events are regular, but they don't get an absurd amount of time on stage. School music groups from the high school are the only group entitled to holding their events at our venue, while other schools have been given gymnatoriums that they've been told to use except for one or two concerts each year that they're invited to perform at in our space. The main argument is that tax dollars went to giving them performance spaces in their own schools, so they should be using them at least for a majority of their events. The school groups that do use our space have to negotiate for it and make a good case for the time they want to be on stage. We aren't given a choir group two weeks on stage with choral risers for their rehearsals -- they get risers and time on stage one or two days in advance of their concert and that's about it.

We have professional performances in our main theatre 2-3 times a month, with unpublicized rentals going on in addition to that a number of small book club meetings and lectures in our black box.

What is the most common stage usage?

Concerts. Some theatrical productions, but mostly concerts.

How often is the stage used?

Someone's using it each and every week, and the days that it isn't in use, prospective clients are being toured through the space and general work continues on.

Does the design fit the usage?

No. The scene shop is too small for building sets. The stage is a "poke" -- not quite a thrust, not quite a proscenium. Each group wants to be as close to the audience as is possible, but we cannot adequately light them on the 900 sq. feet of apron that we only have front-lighting positions for. Storage is limited, but we make due. The stage floor ended up being CDX because the architect hadn't really given any thought to what the material of the stage floor should actually be. There's not enough office space. The building is keyed as school districts like to key things. I have a key that gets me into where the contracts and money are kept, but can't get access to a custodial closet for a mop bucket because custodial closets in schools are sacred ground.

My main problem is that I don't feel school districts should get involved in the business of a professional roadhouse. They don't have the guts to take on the risks and liabilities of making a successful business out of it. After two years, we've got quotes in the newspaper of people in the superintendent's office saying "We operate as a school district first, a performing arts center second" and school board members checking our ticket sales everyday asking why we haven't sold out a 755-seat theatre more than twice ever. Why do ticket sales seem bad? As an young business, we need to grow our audience base, both locally and regionally, and they insisted on building a 755-seat theatre when 500 seats would have been better. They wanted >750 so they could hold high school assemblies in there, half of the students in the morning and the other half in the afternoon. Now that the building is open, they're afraid students will destroy the place and they have no problems fitting everyone into the field house. We will now always appear to be a failing business because we're bringing in crowds of 200-350 people for a 755-seat venue and that's just how it will always appear.

When the going gets tough, school districts back out. Rather than push a marketing campaign, they freeze budgets. Instead of finding more efficient ways to operate with the existing staff, they cut positions. You want to know what would give our box office manager time to put her delayed marketing campaign together? If she wasn't spending 15-45 minutes on every phone call advising customers on which seats in the theatre to get tickets for. Instead of using a "best available" option, several hours each day are spent dicking around on the phone with people who don't know where they want to sit, or get through the entire order for a season's worth of tickets to different shows, only to decide they want to switch their seats to somewhere else in the theatre.

School districts see connected facilities with any sizable overhead as a leech upon the district and will kill the program instantly instead of trying to let to it grow. A school-operated roadhouse is a novelty for a couple years before it is a liability that school board members will campaign for office suggesting ways to put it out of its misery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back