Design Old Movie Theater

decoss

Our theater is a converted movie theater that was built in the 50s. Our stage now extends about 20' in front of the original screen. We also still have the original red traveller in front of the screen.

We sometimes like to open the curtains and get a color wash onto the movie screen. To date we haven't gotten a good wash. (Screen is about 25' x 17'h)

We have some hand-me-down Altman floor mounted, 3-circuit strip lights. Three 15-light units gelled RBG, but they candle and are very uneven. I've also tried scoops and Pars.

We are considered either low budget or no budget, so I'm looking for a 'passable' solution.

Try using some frost or R104 (one-way silk) to even out the wash with the strips (or whatever). None of those are the "right" tool for the job, but if you invest some time to experiment with angles, frosts, etc you should be able to some up with something that works. You may need to aim more for an artistic design than a solid wall of color.

The problem is the projection screen itself. They are very reflective, and some even have a coating that has an emulation of glass particles mixed in. This is going to amplify any unevenness in your lighting. If it is not used for projection and will not be, then it may be time to paint the screen so that it is less reflective.

Sorry but the old drape is probably trash. Might look good but isn't safe to be using.
A realistic thing in no longer flame proof if ever and very un-safe no matter your fire curtain drop or spay system. On the other hand - a good fund raising concept for replacement given how well you are working on lighting it.

Not a slam but something to add to your good works on stuff budget.

Last edited:
[You are right. The old drape is trash and we will be taking it down.

Also, What do you think about the earlier suggestion of painting the screen. It is a plastic-like film with pinholes. I was thinking a flat white. We could also hang cycs on the frame that the screen is stretched over.

Our big fundraiser will be for a new main traveller/procenium set-up.

[You are right. The old drape is trash and we will be taking it down.

Also, What do you think about the earlier suggestion of painting the screen. It is a plastic-like film with pinholes. I was thinking a flat white. We could also hang cycs on the frame that the screen is stretched over.

Our big fundraiser will be for a new main traveller/procenium set-up.

Have you considered purchasing a drop to replace the screen? It wouldn't be too much money for a reasonable quality heavy muslin or light canvas drop.

I would be sort of leery painting your screen. I'm not sure how it would take paint. Can you trim a bit off for testing purposes? If you can get a few strips, then you can test them with different varieties of paint types. I would consider trying a heavily pigment primer/sealer such as Kilz first.

You might try 3 or 4 etc source four ellipsoidals 50 deg. shuttered in to the screen shape you want to wash. The positives of this are good uniformity, exact shaping, and even wash. Used etcs on ebay can go as low as $150 a fixture, so for $600, plus your gels. I have exactly the same set up I use all the time at an old converted Fox Theater in Redlands, CA. Exact set-up as yours. Works great. Alternatley, I also use a 5000 lumen Panasonic ptd-5700 Projector to do more complex washes. Bought on ebay for $600. Another great way to project a mirage of color, images, or video. I use this with Arkaos or VPT. (VPT is free and very powerful piece of video projection software.) Sounds like our spaces are very similiar, email me at [email protected] for another tips.

Jawbone

You might try 3 or 4 etc source four ellipsoidals 50 deg. shuttered in to the screen shape you want to wash. The positives of this are good uniformity, exact shaping, and even wash. Used etcs on ebay can go as low as $150 a fixture, so for $600, plus your gels. I have exactly the same set up I use all the time at an old converted Fox Theater in Redlands, CA. Exact set-up as yours. Works great. Alternatley, I also use a 5000 lumen Panasonic ptd-5700 Projector to do more complex washes. Bought on ebay for $600. Another great way to project a mirage of color, images, or video. I use this with Arkaos or VPT. (VPT is free and very powerful piece of video projection software.) Sounds like our spaces are very similiar, email me at [email protected] for another tips.

Jawbone

Good point on the projector, you could totally use that as a really big cyc light, especially if your brought in a nice 20k or 30k or stacked a few 15ks... But of course that is probably not a really good option. I know my old job's 6600 lumen projector would get washed with stage lights over 75%, but who knows. Actually one really cool use of projection we did was throw up 3 or 4 textures in Black and white and hit them with the cyc lights to change color. We got a lot of options out of our 4 pictures. The source 4 idea is pretty good as well. I would consider getting more S4s than 3-4 per color, and go ahead and get enough to also do templates and scrapes and whatnot, you can change the mood of a scene quite a bit with just a few tweaks to a nice cyc look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back