Vintage Lighting Otto K Olesen portable spot light... Need help identifying...

Hello All I am new here as of today. I've had this light in my possesion for over 10 years. Did try doing research on it via web but never found much about it. I want to say its from the early 30's or 40's but based on what I have to go on I'm not sure.

If anyone can help me identify or shed some light on this fixture I'd be greatly appreciated. I may end up selling this piece of Hollywood movie history if anyone would be interested. As you can tell from the photo's it need a restoration to be mint. But its all there and nothing is rusted thru just surface.

Thanks for your time and interest.
John

IMG_1976.jpgIMG_1957.jpgIMG_1961.jpgIMG_1968.jpgIMG_1977.jpg

On the plus side, that stand might be of some value (for ornamental purposes, at least). I'd personally market it to people looking for that "loft" look. That seems like a popular buzzword on eBay for odd/antiquated stage lights. Our resident vintage lighting guru ship might be interested. He loves box spots.

1. It's not worth as much as you think it is.
2. I suspect most don't know that Otto is credited with creating the custom of using searchlights for movie premieres and store openings.
3. Hollywood Rentals: Olesen Theatrical Lighting

Thanks for the link, not sure if I can contact them or not for help identifying this piece. I figured the light was worth possibly a couple hundred dollars or so to the right collector... Just wish I could nail down a time frame for the build and a little history what it might have been used for.

On the plus side, that stand might be of some value (for ornamental purposes, at least). I'd personally market it to people looking for that "loft" look. That seems like a popular buzzword on eBay for odd/antiquated stage lights. Our resident vintage lighting guru ship might be interested. He loves box spots.

Cool. "Loft" huh?... I'll look into that. Thanks! It really is a cool looking retro piece and it still works great.

I could not tell you what value. but to me your best bet is to outline its history, and the history of Otto. just off the top of my head it looks to be motion picture lighting equipment. i suspect the cordset has been replaced at some point. It would be nice to have the proper name for it. its a PC (plano convex lens) but it likely would have gone by a nickname on the set. I would be taking a totally wild guess to call it an Inky. I think it may have more value with a lamp. You should make it clear that it is the buyers responsibility to have the wiring inspected by a qualified electrician. the other big selling point is that it a fixture with stand, don't break up the two.

Yes box spot, but studio box spot. I suspect by proportions of the fasteners that it's only a 4.1/2" lens? The hood on it is overbuilt for need as per studio gear. I have no notes of this brand in my brand hisory notes - though do remember a much later like 80's or 90's catalogue from them, but also not even a web link from them. I don't normally do studio gear, just kind of have it come to me.

Given studio gear normally lags behind stage gear in design - the studio gear is normally over-built in not needing to improve much, I would think this box spot could have been used into the early 50's and designed perhaps in the say about 1920's if not slightly earlier. It's trying to combine a PC with a box spot for venting.

Important to figure out further is what specific wattage globe lamp is in it? Also what it says about the description or what lamp socket it's using in could be medium screw or two other types possible especially for studio gear in the period.

The stand and switch are certainly old - within the period if not earlier in that period but more for me refines it back to the 20's thru the say later 30's in not much more.

On value, obviously I won't be bidding on it, and it's value with switch and castered stand is going to be over my budget anyway.

This isn't the optimum brass stand to have which is oil/spring mechanism from like the 1910 thru early 20's period. Got one, it's cool and while castered , this type in much smaller and less decorative is probably worth less than the non-castered version of the really old brass stand with much wider cast arms. Stands alone can often be very valuable, in researching my own, but this one isn't the say $750-1K stand in value alone.

On the other hand, it's not just a C'stand to mount the light, it's clearly an older caster stand say 20's thru late 40's in not being an expert on studio or Olesen gear.

Complete box spot studio light, assuming working and with stand to some rich home owner that might use it and electricute oneself by way of using something with really old wiring... into the say $500.00 range complete I would think at best in starting at perhaps $90.00 and going up from there. You can go over that, but I really think it only a semi-old box spot spot studio light on a stand. the stand and switch add value in a non-safe wiring thing, but at least origional thing.

"loft" look... Never searched for stage lighting or other terms I use in that before, and probably won't if that concept is to homeowners wanting a prop.

Overall, the light is probably worth in the $20 thru 75.00 range alone at best, but given the stand and switch, I would add $100.00 to that value as is and in good condition - but not proper or safe to be using modern wiring condion as a stipulation.

Fascinating fixture, thanks for the photos of it in learning more about old fixture designs and brands.

On value to you or buyers... believe there is still someone on E-Bay with a 3" Fresnel from the later 50's or early 60's in Century brand, selling it with a home made stand for like $750.00. Sure what ever you want on it, but realistically it's a studio lighting fixture which is really obsolete. Yes with switch and stand that you should make sure that the buyers know that it's origional and needs re-wiring, if you don't want to own it sell it off. It is really valuable as per prop in someone's living room these days, or in a museum. Got of lights in my own living room duplicate to the museum I use but made safe.

You can list it for as many years as you want to pay I suspect. What is above is realistic in what someone might pay in hoping better.

Last edited:
Thanks Tom. That points me more in the right direction. I was mainly wanting to know more about the light than sell it to be honest. I would like to possibly restore it and keep it but figured I would entertain the notion of selling if someone was absolutely bonkers about it.

Yes box spot, but studio box spot. I suspect by proportions of the fasteners that it's only a 4.1/2" lens? The hood on it is overbuilt for need as per studio gear. I have no notes of this brand in my brand hisory notes - though do remember a much later like 80's or 90's catalogue from them, but also not even a web link from them. I don't normally do studio gear, just kind of have it come to me.

Given studio gear normally lags behind stage gear in design - the studio gear is normally over-built in not needing to improve much, I would think this box spot could have been used into the early 50's and designed perhaps in the say about 1920's if not slightly earlier. It's trying to combine a PC with a box spot for venting.

Important to figure out further is what specific wattage globe lamp is in it? Also what it says about the description or what lamp socket it's using in could be medium screw or two other types possible especially for studio gear in the period.

The stand and switch are certainly old - within the period if not earlier in that period but more for me refines it back to the 20's thru the say later 30's in not much more.

On value, obviously I won't be bidding on it, and it's value with switch and castered stand is going to be over my budget anyway.

This isn't the optimum brass stand to have which is oil/spring mechanism from like the 1910 thru early 20's period. Got one, it's cool and while castered , this type in much smaller and less decorative is probably worth less than the non-castered version of the really old brass stand with much wider cast arms. Stands alone can often be very valuable, in researching my own, but this one isn't the say $750-1K stand in value alone.

On the other hand, it's not just a C'stand to mount the light, it's clearly an older caster stand say 20's thru late 40's in not being an expert on studio or Olesen gear.

Complete box spot studio light, assuming working and with stand to some rich home owner that might use it and electricute oneself by way of using something with really old wiring... into the say $500.00 range complete I would think at best in starting at perhaps $90.00 and going up from there. You can go over that, but I really think it only a semi-old box spot spot studio light on a stand. the stand and switch add value in a non-safe wiring thing, but at least origional thing.

"loft" look... Never searched for stage lighting or other terms I use in that before, and probably won't if that concept is to homeowners wanting a prop.

Overall, the light is probably worth in the $20 thru 75.00 range alone at best, but given the stand and switch, I would add $100.00 to that value as is and in good condition - but not proper or safe to be using modern wiring condion as a stipulation.

Fascinating fixture, thanks for the photos of it in learning more about old fixture designs and brands.

Awesome info!!!! Thanks you so much!!! It was a joy just reading the possible history on it alone. It really is a cool piece and probably much more worth it to keep and display. Thanks for your time and knowledge even if it's not entirely confirmed info. :) And yes, it does appear to be about 4 1/2 inches for the front glass.

Last edited:
Considering its a studio light there are likely hundreds still out there in a warehouse. That said As is condition I would pay about $70 for it, since there is no lamp, the original cord has been replaced and with that much restoration work to be done.

Considering its a studio light there are likely hundreds still out there in a warehouse. That said As is condition I would pay about $70 for it, since there is no lamp, the original cord has been replaced and with that much restoration work to be done.

So the ("empty" no bulb in it) Bulb fixture in it is not original? It fits a standard screw in lightbulb... is that not accurate for the light?

Actually, my guess is that the medium screw socket is original, The 4.5 inch PC spot used this socket with either a 250 watt or a 400 watt G lamp. Here is a link to download the pdf for the Altman 101 box spot.
101 Box Spot Product Data Sheet
I know this type of fixture was still being made in the '70s because I installed a few of them.

... I would be taking a totally wild guess to call it an Inky. ...
By definition, an Inky must have a 3" Fresnel lens. Most descriptive, I think, to call this luminaire a Studio 4½" Box Spot.

If one wants to be absolutely authentic, I'd buy a
View attachment 9246
250G/FL lamp for it. The same lamp is/was used in the "Wizard" 10" Scoop flood light. (Don's Bulbs is expensive; one can probably find a better price elsewhere.) If intended as a living room prop, one could use a 25 or 40W clear G30 "vanity" type bulb
View attachment 9245
(like this, or the white frosted variety available at any home center for under $5) but due to to filament geometry being wrong, won't get much of a beam out of it. But optical precision isn't much needed in a living room or "loft", and this fixture was never that optically pure to begin with. In fact, one doesn't hear much of the PC spotlight being used in the film industry; they always preferred the soft-edged Fresnel. We've discussed the use of modern ones on the stage at http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/8384-pc-lanterns.html and at http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/10137-evidence-pc-leko.html .

More about Otto from: The Story of Hollywood: An Illustrated History - Greg Williams - Google Books
View attachment 9247

... I have no notes of this brand in my brand history notes - though do remember a much later like 80's or 90's catalogue from them, but also not even a web link from them. ...
By the 1970s, Olesen had stopped manufacturing and had become a catalog house, a full theatrical supplier; my first "Altman Wrench" said Olesen. They were also known for their line of color media--Dura 60/70. Dura60 was an acetate media (to complete with Roscolene); Dura70 was polyester (Roscolux). Colors in both lines were identical to each other, both a blessing and a curse. Since the 1980s, the company has been in and out of bankruptcy, and bought and sold several times. Seems to have settled under Hollywood Rentals: Olesen Theatrical Lighting . Modern (since the 1970s) logo:
View attachment 9248

Thanks TrenchStudios for what has been an informative thread. I hope you stick around. Start a thread in the New Member Area introducing yourself.

Last edited:
Been speed reading thru "Encyclopedia of Stage Lighting" by Briggs tonight on another research project. He notes the "box spot" as also called a "Baby Spot" in the day which directly relates to the film industry.

Good arguements above in value - the studios have lots of them in stock no doubt - but often sell them off cheap when really obsolete as per this one. Between the CBS Studios 6" Fresnel in the collection, and lots of other 2K thru 10K Fresnels in stock at work mostly for prop lights, frequently especially if trashed, they go cheap. $70.00 on the light and stand plus other accessries would be a really good find but possible certainly. I think the studios don't sell of complete units though.

On the box spot verses Fresnel question.. some question about when the Fresnel Lens went into use, but overall wile harsh edges on any PC fixtures might in general be a bad thing, remember that there was other light fixtures also in use to wash out the beam. Stage follows studio, and studio follows stage in development at the time and imagine behind a doorway that needs to be lit say to a closet - your need a light for it. This was say the inkie for the time and likely a PC fixture was made by studio brands. Did it have a Fresnel lens and was replaced by PC once broken - possible but not likely in normally one in the era of it's use would replace directly or if changing it will have already been 4.5" Fresnel lens that doesn't show up on the market for many years later when the fixture is already well obsolete for use. Early in college yeas I did add more PC fixtures to Fresnel lenses so as to make for a better beam while inefficient in a thing I didn't understand at the time. This was something done since the 70's in making a PC into an inefficient Fresnel. Don't think anyone would do this in the reverse.

Interesting side note however is that by the date of the invention of this light, small science table like stand bar mechanisms mounted reflectors were available for the rear of the lamp for an extra charge in adding to efficiency. Given a studio fixture, they did normally max out the technology for the day. Designing a Fresnel without reflector could be done as a design, but the technology was there for both at that point so if it was a Fresnel lens, I think it will also have had a means for mounting a reflectore behind the lamp. Don't think it was a Fresnel lens short of the reflector also.

Instead also, could have been some form of a pattern projector in addition to a PC light. Possible in gobo of a form spread from the beam. Doubtful it's purpose, just thinking it a PC fixture and was made for that purpose.

Great you are restoring and keeping it, CB has a wealth of into on restoration of fixtures posted in the past and others are able to help in details of how they also do it day by day in help. As above debate, start with what type of lamp socket it is as I'm so far not completely convinced it is a medium screw (household lamp type E-26) in use, and if other type it could further date the fixture. Further pictures or does a normal lamp screw into it? Just a hunch that it might not be in sicking to that concept that it might be something else used for a lamp. Higher wattage lamp would explain why the over engineering, but that would require a differet type of lamp.

Last edited:
I am posting this as a request for information. I recently acquired a vintage Otto K Olesen Arclight. I was told it is an extremely early one but I can't find information on it. I'm hoping someone here might be able to point me in a direction where I could learn about it. I have attached a couple of photos that will hopefully identify the arclight. Thank you for your time and knowledge. John

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 207
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 235
  • olesen03.jpg
    olesen03.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 263
Man, that may be the very fixture that burned down the Iroquois...

As to what I know about it - well, not much other than watch yourself around that asbestos (white, fuzzy) cord. It's not an IDLH hazard or anything, but you might want to remove it if you're going to keep it around the house.

You've come to the right place for info. Hopefully some of the previous posters will chime in with their expertise soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back