Power Where No Power Can Go

To clear up a few misconceptions some of the above posters have been working from, based on my knowledge of pyro being shot from barges...

A barge is just an empty boat, often with a solid, flat top (especially if it's designed to carry things parked on top of it, like cranes). They don't have any kind of motor, engine, or battery system.

A barge is moved into position by a towboat, which has lots of power available, but only if the towboat stays with the barge during the shoot, which isn't always the case. Often a barge will be anchored midstream, or will have long poles driven down into the bottom to moor it, and in the event of a sudden rise in water level, or heavy weather, the barge can break loose and float away. Relying on tow boat power or cabling to shore can be chancy if things get rough.

The pyro will be fired by a battery system, but the shoot team won't be very interested in risking their show by using their batteries to power lighting. The firing system uses a lot less power than a lighting rig, and can include capacitors at the firing boxes by the racks that charge slowly during setup, and dump power rapidly during use, so the characteristics of their system are different than you might think. It doesn't take much to ignite an electric match.

The preference for battery power is to remove a potential source of ignition from the fireworks shoot site, for obvious reasons.

The main courses open are to use battery/inverter systems, asking if the towboat will be staying with the barge, seeing if a small generator in a rowboat tied to the barge with 50' or 100' of rope will be far enough away for fire safety, or buying a pallet load of chemical glowsticks or LED flashlights.

You might be able to work something out with a battery store (or RV dealer) regarding borrowing/renting/sponsoring a battery rig. I'd either bite the bullet on the batteries/inverters, or try for the generator in the rowboat.

I guess I figured you needed a tug to keep the barge in position. I would think a zodiac could hold a generator large enough to power a small concert, they can carry what, 8 SEALS with like 200lbs of gear each, Im pretty sure a genny wouldnt be a problem... Then you only need a few hundred feet of cable.

Thanks for all the responses. It sounds like deep cycle marine batteries and inverters would be only slightly dependable so I'm going to try to stay away from that. I will find out if the tug stays with (or close to) the barge, but I don't remember seeing it on years past.

Father Murphy is spot on with his knowledge of barges and fireworks. They are remote detonated, I believe through CAT5 cabling or even wirelessly, from shore. Xander, it's on the Navesink, not the Hudson, so quite a bit smaller. I don't have hard numbers but I would say the cable run would be no more than 250' from shore to barge.

I also like the idea of fixed position spotlights. That seems to be the easiest solution, depending on the distance. I'll get more information and report back. Thanks, everyone!

Last edited:
could you rent some ShowGuns or large followspots and light it form the shore?

Let's get back to basics-

Lighting one side of a banner on a barge.

How about two 250w ACLs in par cans. (4552 lamps) (Maybe with frost.) They are 28 volt lamps, so two car batteries in series will give you 24 volts. Should be fine. They will draw a total of 18 amps at 24 volts, so a couple of 45 amp car batteries would work fine. Best of all, they will not cut out when the battery voltage starts to lower like an inverter would. When the batteries reach their end, the lamps will just dim down like a flashlight with old batteries.

He is talking about using LED uplights and you suggest ditching that for showguns?

I'm saying possibly use either ShowGuns or large followspots from shore. Where (at least in theory) pow
er is plentiful.

I'm saying possibly use either ShowGuns or large followspots from shore. Where (at least in theory) pow
er is plentiful.

I was posing that question to you more in terms of budget and scale. If a client came to you and asked for an LED package (say that rental about be around $500) and then you turned around and suggested a $5000+ package, how do you think that would go?

Let's get back to basics-

Lighting one side of a banner on a barge.

How about two 250w ACLs in par cans. (4552 lamps) (Maybe with frost.) They are 28 volt lamps, so two car batteries in series will give you 24 volts. Should be fine. They will draw a total of 18 amps at 24 volts, so a couple of 45 amp car batteries would work fine. Best of all, they will not cut out when the battery voltage starts to lower like an inverter would. When the batteries reach their end, the lamps will just dim down like a flashlight with old batteries.
I like it, old school.

"How about two 250w ACLs in par cans. (4552 lamps) (Maybe with frost.) They are 28 volt lamps, so two car batteries in series will give you 24 volts. Should be fine. They will draw a total of 18 amps at 24 volts, so a couple of 45 amp car batteries would work fine. Best of all, they will not cut out when the battery voltage starts to lower like an inverter would. When the batteries reach their end, the lamps will just dim down like a flashlight with old batteries."

If you'd like to make it more economical, what about talking an auto shop into loaning you a dozen "dead" batteries? The kind where one cell has died so they're only ~10V. They're useless and get recycled, so I don't see them minding loaning them to you. Then put 6 in parallel, put the other 6 in parallel, and put the two sets in series. Then you have a free-to-cheap solution, and you don't care if you damage the batteries as long as they get you through the show. You can adjust up or down from 6 per set depending on space/length of time needed/how much backup you want to have.

"the kind where one cell has died so they're only ~10V..

Got to watch out for those that have a single dead cell. In use, this cell can go reverse polarity and the cell can boil or worse when the battery is under load. I would just stick with two new ones, or borrowed. Cost of a 45 amp battery is around $80 new.

Use a couple of stock Par64 cans. No point in rewiring them, just go right to the screws on the ACL lamps with #12. Slip some sheath around the wires to protect them from lamp heat. Keep it simple.

"How about two 250w ACLs in par cans. (4552 lamps) (Maybe with frost.) They are 28 volt lamps, so two car batteries in series will give you 24 volts. Should be fine. They will draw a total of 18 amps at 24 volts, so a couple of 45 amp car batteries would work fine. Best of all, they will not cut out when the battery voltage starts to lower like an inverter would. When the batteries reach their end, the lamps will just dim down like a flashlight with old batteries."

If you'd like to make it more economical, what about talking an auto shop into loaning you a dozen "dead" batteries? The kind where one cell has died so they're only ~10V. They're useless and get recycled, so I don't see them minding loaning them to you. Then put 6 in parallel, put the other 6 in parallel, and put the two sets in series. Then you have a free-to-cheap solution, and you don't care if you damage the batteries as long as they get you through the show. You can adjust up or down from 6 per set depending on space/length of time needed/how much backup you want to have.

yeah no. Batteries tend to do things like blow up occasionally when they are dying, I think this might be a big negative to the pyro people.

Go talk to the guys at the local napa. They have lights in many different par sizes and voltages. I needed a 12v lamp in a par 36 they had about 30 different lamps they had or could get for me. I know they have quite a few in the par 56 and possibly the par 64 size in 12 volt.

Who says there can be no generator, and have they ever heard of a flame arrestor muffler, with a cool-touch shield around the muffler?

A generator is less of a fire or explosion hazard than all those rocket tubes near each other. In open air fuel fumes will not persist around the generator fuel tank.

A liquid propane powered generator is even less of a hazard because there is no fuel tank vent.

If "no generators on the barge" is such a big deal to the authority having jurisdiction (AHJ), then see if you can rent/borrow a pontoon boat, and put the generator on that alongside/behind the barge.

=========

Batteries wired straight to DC lights? Sounds easy. Except if you do not have overload protection included in this idea, then a shorted wire or a loose connection in wet/salty conditions may lead to cables melting, sparks, and/or a fire on deck -- as bad or worse than the risks the generator poses.

You need fuses somewhere and properly sized ones too, for the direct-wire idea. At least any gas/LP generator you might use would by default include circuit breakers for protecting against exactly this sort of situation.

You should really just find out exactly who says no generator, what the specific reasons are for not permitting them, and what circumstances or safety compliance is needed to allow them.

You need fuses somewhere and properly sized ones too, for the direct-wire idea.

20 amp inline automotive fuse from pep boys should do the trick.

You should really just find out exactly who says no generator, what the specific reasons are for not permitting them, and what circumstances or safety compliance is needed to allow them.

I dont know, I tend to listen to the people who make things go boom, you never know exactly why, but if they say no, they probably have a decent reason. Although come to think of it, a barge full of fireworks going off at once or in rapid sequence would make a spectacular (if short) show...

The thought above of full racks lifting at once reminds me of one of my pyro friends talking about how some of the barges he's been on tended to rock around when several large shells would lift simultaneously... the preference for no generator might be related to fears that it could tip over, spilling gas, etc.

If you're just lighting the banner for visibility, you shouldn't need more than a 2kW generator - those are about the size of carry-on luggage, and easily put in a john boat, isolated from the movement of the main barge and able to be trailed a safe distance down river.

Or, put a couple 2K long throw followspots on shore, and be done with it.

The thought above of full racks lifting at once reminds me of one of my pyro friends talking about how some of the barges he's been on tended to rock around when several large shells would lift simultaneously... the preference for no generator might be related to fears that it could tip over, spilling gas, etc.

If you're just lighting the banner for visibility, you shouldn't need more than a 2kW generator - those are about the size of carry-on luggage, and easily put in a john boat, isolated from the movement of the main barge and able to be trailed a safe distance down river.

Or, put a couple 2K long throw followspots on shore, and be done with it.

Actually thats a good point. Spilled gasoline with things going boom right where the vapor would be rising might make for a spectacularly burning barge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back