PowerCON?

Now why Vari-Lite choose to use it on their newest, 208V-only, fixtures; that I don't get.

I could helps with sub rentals. If Bandit Lites needs twenty units they can rent the units from PRG and supply their own Cee-Form to powerCon adapters. It saves either shop from having to supply an adapter and is one less connection to fail in the air. It would also make replacing whips easier.

Agreed.

I understand the ease of use with LED's that are adjacent, but.....

I hate the PowerCon concept. I hate when the fixture power cables are in a different friggin road case, usually at the bottom of a pile of crap I need last, so now I have to dig out the PowerCon cables.

I hate then you have a 3ft unit-to-unit cable and need to move a unit and now need a longer cable (which you would have to do with a unit that has built in power cord anyway) as well as needing a frigging barrel (which isn't UL listed), which the road electrician has run out of or lost a few on the tour.

We don't need another ****ed type of electrical connector on the stage. We have Edison, 2P&G, L5-20 and L6-20. ENOUGH !.

Also hate this and now having to make jumpers to cord grip to cord grip length in now that everyone designs about spacing about fixtures, suddenly you have to add a couple of inches to each cable length so they will plug into each other. 5' jumper before now one just figured say 4' spacing, now in making the jumpers I have to pre-figure cable bend and even add to it to make a requested length. And of course, those lengths have to be exact lengths without extra slack - gonna be a lot of replacement cables over the coming years given the bend to jump cables done.

Don't get me in the bad guy status on this question, I seriously wish the Powercon and True 1 would just go away in hating both, but as with the more and more CeeForm type connectors I have to do without also liking, I am not attemting to stand in the way of something I cannot stop. It's just a reality of the day I work with and if any help, this is a career not a job in that it helps in dealing with such things but very interested in the discussion.

Working on a new prototype 4th generation of our kabuki drop selenoids this weekend. Great idea as opposed to doing the L5-15 withoutout feed thru was to go go Powercon, but thinking I'll instead go PowerCon True 1. Thoughts?

Last edited:
More valuable information on the topic at The LightNetwork - Powercon or True 1??? discussion.
... Since this seems to be an issue that is of increasing concern to many people and companies in our industry, the subject will be on the meeting agenda of the PLASA Electrical Power Working Group in about 10 days at USITT. I very much hope that someone from Neutrik will be there.

I will provide a report here of the outcome of the discussion. ...
Don't worry, STEVETERRY will fix it for us.

Posted for a CB member who wishes to remain anonymous.
Recently at work there was a management debate about sticking with Powercon, using both or going Powercon True1 for the gear.

Reasons present against changing over or at least staying with two systems:
1) Already have a huge amount of Powercon gear and cable using that connector type.
2) The True1 female panel mount is larger in now needing to cut new holes to switch to the new system - this assuming the new panel mount hole would even fit even if a new fixture plate were made for a fixture in moving the hole as needed.
3) Given 2 above, were the Powercon panel mounts soldered directly to a circuit board which would make modification of fixtures to True 1 in moving outlets on a panel impossible or at least very hard?
4) Voiding UL listing of the fixture.
5) Martin I hear has no plans of going to True 1 at this point which makes all new gear from them and others necessary to modify.
6) Cost not just in True 1 panel mounts and parts plus labor, but I will have had to hire a small crew of qualified wiring/CNC machine able tech people just for this project and find working space for this crew to convert all Powercon gear and cable those months it would take. This crew in the hopes of at least getting stuff not out on a long tour done before such people got absorbed into other departments once the easy stuff is done. Than once other gear came back, it’s now my problem to re-wire the other gear on tour when it returns. Touring season doesn’t end any more, I have three people under me and year long have enough projects to get done in never getting caught up.

Keeping both systems as per any amount of other cable/plug types in use:
1) Don’t have much at this point that is Powercon True1, but enough that it will be a pain in the rear to convert. Word last I heard was that it’s company policy that we will be buying no more gear that is using the Powercon True1 connector - which will last about as long as the time it takes the next designer to specify a light and have the budget to buy it in bulk.
2) While one can point out any number of separate plug systems in use for gear - and adapters, shop management does not want yet another one - this especially where it possible someone pulls Powercon for a show in jumpers where the fixture it Powercon True1. That would be a bad thing and experience has shown it will happen by mistake. This as opposed to the constant question of is it five pin CeeForm blue or red I have to ask every time I do a transformer amongst other problems. Frequently get say L6-15 to stage pin or Edison adapters back from shows amongst other adapter types. Problem is such adapters are like 50 to 100' long when my adapter standard is 18" long and I don’t directly convert from 208v to 120v for any adapter or its reverse. In other words - people on site in doing the show at times do not plan well at times or request sufficient or proper gear. Still though I see it as another plug type and as per which CeeForm in use, it’s a different animal one just needs to ensure is correct before sending on a show.
3) As per above, I’m busy... Leave it as per two different plugs. Doesn’t help other than in making Powercon to Powercon True1 adapters in feeding a wall on the same circuit as a problem. Management dislikes the concept of making an adapter from old style to new style plug... Did see as at least entertaining my reverse of that option in adapter, but still didn’t like the concept of having to run two types of plug for low wattage fixture types, or circuiting differently.

Advantages of Powercon True1 over Powercon:
1) As might be an advantage to many that don’t want end-users taking apart a plug as I would love and see with molded plugs I’m going towards, the True 1 has a lock mechanism which takes a bit of work to defeat. Problem is those on site won’t spend time in defeating the lock - they will just cut the cable and install what ever they need. And each time it happens the cable gets shorter and shorter. (This as opposed to them that are careful enough on-site to preserve ferrules from a stage pin on a cable. That put ferrules into a say commercial grade Edison plug which are not easily removed, don’t follow proper strip length for the plug and clamp cord grip onto conductors etc. “But you can just turn it back to what it should be much easier that way”... in it now taking more time if even saved due to cord grip damage to conductor insulation.) Non-winning process and normally I let my guys remove that lock pin from the plug.
2) It’s a male/female type of plug this True1 that allows for if you need 18" longer, you don’t need a new cable, you can connect in another jumper. Less custom jumper lengths once a bulk of stock especially on the short size is built up. There are adapters on the market, but unless one has enough with the show at the time you need them...
3) Re-usable. The Powercon True1 not only fits a 12 AWG stranded wire easier than a terminal for a old style Powercon, but also in re-using the plug you don’t have to do work to the easily deformed clamping plate in using it again. Frequently the old style Powercon is one time use.
4) Still while recognized by various electrical authorities... I still feel this type of plug is very fragile to dropping/run over damage and perhaps shorting - the True1 I think even if live interconnect rated is even more fragile, but at least it has that going for it.

Conclusion:
I’m hoping this great discussion just goes away in not having to devote space, labor and materials into fixing anything. Leave the two systems separate with careful management for the next five years and hopefully the problem will go away when the next new thing comes out. All of my cable jumpers are 12AWG and I’m even starting to replace any of the thermoset or thermoplastic factory cable for good old 12/3 SJOOW cable jumpers. Seemingly the plastic cable as it was with type “W” feeder jumpers don’t want to twist to lock or stay locked as easily especially when cold. Means a lot of plastic cable recycled per year but necessary.

Final problems:
I’m working on the final stages of the best ever Kabuki drop system that Management had some imput on in making the design process harder for solving but also causing problems. It’s been decided that the 120v Kabuki system would be using Powercon in making feed thru easier given readily available cable stock rather than our old NEMA L5-15 system which in stringers was totally against code and under power for the 14ga cable that had to be used so as to fit. That’s a 20A now good thing at least and in using a standardized jumper also a good thing. Problem is going to be huge in some idiot is going to plug the solenoids into 208v at some point and perhaps at many points in blowing up a lot of gear at times far into the future.

Another problem now comes up and is crucial to the whole Powercon being rated for 20 Amps in feeding thru to the next and other solenoids in passing that 20A. The panel mounts to these types of plugs have .187" quick disconnect terminals off the back of them. Nobody in me spending hours checking catalogs and websites makes a 12ga quick disconnect female crimp terminal that will fit a .187" terminal.

So how is it that the Powercon plug system gets it’s 20A rating if you physically cannot connect a wire terminal to it that is rated for that amp rating? Sure with some careful work with a scratch awl, you can expand a 14ga non-insulated terminal so it will fit a 12ga. wire, and a proper crimp tool will make it work without a gap in crimp. Should there some day be a problem, this becomes a legal problem for the end user in making it work “properly” to carry a 20A load assumed given such a concept of modifying terminals to fit the wire that is proper for the load.

How is it such a plug type is rated for 20 Amps if there is no possible way to carry 20 Amps in connecting to it with any available listed materials? Am I perhaps supposted to by design to do 14ga SF-2 high temp wire in fitting the .187" terminals but per se carrying the 20 Amp load? Funny didn’t note anything like that on the website. Perhaps more appropriate for the project in feeding thru the Powercons and also powering up the individual solenoids.

For now I just cap splice for interconnection between solenoid and female Powercon, but still have a problem with proper gauge of wire in going to the .187" terminals on this project at totally separate from the above hoping it goes away problems. No idea on what fixture manufacturers are doing in feeding thru Powercon to the next fixture other than specifying the maximum amount of fixtures that can be fed. Rated for 20A, curious if anything is doing that and how much gear will get burned out from this crappy plug forced into the industry some how by some bad ideas overall.

Thoughts/suggestions/opinions?

N.B.--I recently saw something I found amusing: On the back of a video wall, a bunch of molded Y-style two-fers, with all PowerCON ends!

Adding more fuel to the fire...

13071003.jpg
From Power Distributor with powerCON TRUE1 | Contrik :
Now also available in our assortment the Connex' power distributor with the new powerCON TRUE1 connectors from Neutrik with 16A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back