PowerCON?

MisterTim

Hey guys,

So the recent trend for a lot of devices is to go to PowerCon for power. While the powercon connector is pretty nice and convenient, especially with passthroughs, it presents itself with significant electrical code problems.

It's UL recognized for:

Max Cable OD: 0.59"
Cable gauge: 14

Now, that presents a significant problem for those of us who are required by the NEC to use 12/3 SOOW for everything over 3' long. SOOW doesn't come smaller than 0.6" (I've found one that's 0.595", but haven't tried it yet).

I've talked to several electricians in the industry, all of whom have told me to stay away from powercon as much as possible, and use SJ for short adapter cables as needed. This is our current solution, but with how popular powercon is coming, there's been a lot of pressure to have lots of longer powercon cables for jumpering.

How do we approach this issue? Where is the compromise made?

edit: for clarity, I'm talking about the powerCON 20A connector. Interestingly, powerCON TRUE1 is rated for 12mm OD, but 12AWG wire size, but both are rated for 2.5mm^2 internal wire area. And other places in the product guide specify 12AWG as 1.5mm^2, which is REALLY wrong--12AWG is about 3.3mm^2. Ugh...

Last edited:
Steve Terry is working on this exact issue if I remember correctly. The S4 LED units I got on loan last month did have edison to powercon adapters with SO cable, so, it is possible. Maybe the guys at ETC could give us some pointers on this very real issue?

The S4 LED units I got on loan last month did have edison to powercon adapters with SO cable, so, it is possible.

Well, as we all know, "possible" doesn't mean "good." :lol: I'm sure I can jam SO into the connector, and if that's the best solution available for now, I will, but I'm glad that at least someone else recognizes it as an issue. Googling this has gotten me nowhere.

I'll send my ETC contact an email and see if she knows anything.

I think the current workaround is to treat the fixture and cord as a system and get the whole thing certified that way, with some maximum number of daisy-chained units and other limitations.

Last edited:
Steve Terry is working on this exact issue if I remember correctly. ...
Took some searching but I found the reference:
Mike, see the document referenced at http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/29037-nec-changes-2014-public-review.html, in particular the section 15-117 Log #1396 NEC-P15 (520.68)
Submitter:
Steven R. Terry, Electronic Theatre Controls Inc. / Rep. US
Institute for Theatre Technology - Engineering Commission
Recommendation:
Add a new section 520.68(A)(3) after existing section
520.68(A)(2) and renumber subsequent paragraphs to accommodate new
section:
(3) Luminaire Supply Cords.
Listed, hard-usage supply cords shall be
permitted to supply luminaires when all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The supply cord is not longer than 1.0 m (3.3 feet)
(2) The supply cord is attached at one end to the luminaire or a luminaire-
specific listed connector that mates with a panel-mounted inlet on the body of
the luminaire.
(3) The supply cord is protected by an overcurrent protective device of not
not more than 20 amperes
(4) The luminaire is listed
(5) The supply cord is not subject to physical damage
Substantiation:
Since the beginning of electric light in the theatre, luminaires
have historically operated at very high temperatures due to their use of large
tungsten lamps. This required the use of high-temperature supply cords. In the
early days, these were asbestos types, followed by the modern high temperature
assemblies of existing section 520.68(A)(3). None of these types of conductors
or assemblies had anything like the durability of an extra-hard-usage cable, and
there were no failure problems due to their short length and protected location.
With the advent of arc-source and LED luminaires, much lower temperatures
are the norm. Ironically, the existing wording of Section 520.68 (and thus the
wording UL1573 for Stage and Studio Luminaires) dictates that these types of
lower-temperature luminaires must use only an extra-hard-usage supply cord
with a much larger outer diameter than the traditional high-temperature
solutions. This application does not actually need such an extra-hard-usage
cord as high temperature solutions have performed well for more than 60 years,
because they are not subject to physical damage in the application. Extra-hard-
usage cord is inflexible and requires a very large strain relief on the luminaire,
or luminaire-specific connector. Hard-usage cord should be allowed in this
application.
Panel Meeting Action: Accept
Number Eligible to Vote: 18
Ballot Results:
Affirmative: 17
Ballot Not Returned: 1
Krupa, G.

... And while we're on the subject of adapters, I'm seeing more and more LED fixtures equipped with panel-mount PowerCon ins and outs (I think ETC makes some). Is the male 5-15 to female PowerCon power cord an adapter, and therefore limited to 1m? Are the fixture interconnects (even if they have non-mating ends?) considered cables and thus must be extra-hard usage cord regardless of length and load?
On a (somewhat) related note, I notice on the newest Vari-Lite units (VL3515 to be exact), they have added PowerCon and removed the power switch. We all know the PowerCon is not to be used as a breaking connector, so now I have to ONLY unplug the other end of the adapter? How did this become UL Listed? It's not like a minimal draw LED unit.

Last edited:
1. The NEC has changed for 2014 to allow SJ cord on luminaire cords, with certain caveats, which have been outlined in other posts to this thread.
2. PowerCon and PowerCon True1 are UL Recognized only as appliance connectors--they must be inside another listed piece of equipment.

Based on the above, I think we still need adapters to "regular", NEMA or UL498 connectors such as Twist-locks or the E1.24 pin connector.

ST

Last edited by a moderator:
meaning you can't have a pig tail or whip with a female powercon connector outside of the body of the fixture. Powercon <-> powercon for use of daisy chaining would be allowed because they would terminate in another "listed" Piece of equipment.

Oh, i understand. Is a powercon barrel

[
8838-powercon-nac3mm-1-1.jpg

Neutrik NAC3MM-1]
listed, by NRTL ...? We just bought some of those (without my prior knowledge...)

Attachments

• nac3mm-1-1.jpg
    nac3mm-1-1.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 1,404
Last edited by a moderator:
okay. stepping back from the powercon specifics for a minute...

how much do we care about UL? iirc everything has to be used in compliance with ul specs, but, i mean, take the cable-mount quadboxes that we all use. even the safest alternatives, like o.a. windsor boxes (which I use and love, thanks Ken), aren't ul listed. When do we just quit caring and do things as safely as possible in ways that we know will work and be good that just aren't quite to spec? Will powercon ever be usable completely within spec? Only using 1m cables is not a usable solution.

Powercon True 1 jumpers I am with new fixtures currently making, watch out for that locking ring part in removing if you want to be able to access the wiring later, or recognize that once assembled you won't easily be able to take it apart.

Lots of PowerCon jumpers made in the past, always 12ga and three foot or less. Always hated that plug. Normally when a feed thru fixture comes with a whip of less than 12ga. no matter the above brand I throw it out. Also on Powercon, they are not often very user-friendly for re-use of the plug.

"Only using 1m cables is not a usable solution." Adapt from fixture to rated normal cables for longer than that and there is rules established about SJ verses SO. Not sure what is a windsor box but I know any Quad box I see even if coming back from a show and even clearly marked for another owner, get taken apart and never again used or returned to their owner. At times I might use a "Bell Box" for something with indicator light, or even a welded up knockout or plated over NEMA 1 box for something that is seriously modified to be safe, but "we all' don't use quad boxes. A question comes up in doing good proper work in having the spirit and understanding of the code but using a quad box in an other than perminant mounted situation. If at least an aluminum Bell box - outdoor box for something that has to be portable and that size at least will ensure a knockout cannot be punched in and conduct box to conductor. Indicator lights and maximum cord length I would think is also something to consider. I know once in the old shop I ran a 50' portable power to the gel cutting area in a bell box and the inspector didn't have a problem with it given the box had a three foot whip to a means of disconnect, he did however require an indicator light on the outlet box.

PowerCon or PowerCon True 1, I don't like them, like the True 1 a little more in it not being Pozi-Drive, but not really my choice in adapting to what I'm given. On the other hand, I see as much problems with normal plugs even coming from factories - terminals too loose and cord grips too tight in having to cut and re-mount the plug. Want to set standards, open up every plug you get and physically ensure that it's correct in wiring and tension. Don't trust in plugs what is installed on the fixture whip.

Not sure what is a windsor box

They're what I converted all our metal quadboxes into, with advice from quite a few people on this site who use them. O.A. Windsor

I appreciate your input. I should note that when I said that only having 1m cables isn't a usable solution, I meant to use powercon as distribution, as opposed to its original intent as an IEC replacement. I'm fine with using powercon for just its intended purpose, but it seems as though an increasingly large portion of the market is not.

Now let me open another can of worms...
We have Mac 101s. They are auto ranging 120-208 with Powercon in and out.
We use both regular edison -> powercon and L6-20 -> powercon.
Is this not a dangerous situation where you could have either 120 or 208 on a powercon connector?

... Is a powercon barrel ... listed, by NRTL ...?
No. It's not UL Listed, but is UL Recognized. ;)
Kinda make you want to just scream, don't it?

Before tearing out all your hair (and don't tell anyone I said this, but) go ahead and use 12/3 SJO with NAC3FCA and NAC3FCB ends for your LED fixture interconnect daisy chain power cables, as long as you want. I won't tell on you. The code will catch up to "standard industry practice" someday (provided we keep representatives from our industry on the panels). Pretty sure an AHJ could find many other issues more serious than this in your facility.
EDIT: Looky here. Lex Products, a normally quite reputable company, sells PowerCON extensions made from 12/3 SJE cable! Oh, the horror!

Which segways to...
... When do we just quit caring and do things as safely as possible in ways that we know will work and be good that just aren't quite to spec? ...
We NEVER stop caring. "ALL electrical work and equipment must meet or exceed the most stringent requirements of all local, state, and federal building and life-safety codes." We ALWAYS do EVERYTHING to the exact letter of the code. EVERY inspector is a hard-butt bastard amber, just looking for any little reason to red-tag and shut down your venue. (But can easily overlook blocked exits, lack of fire extinguishers, or use of SJO when only SO is permitted, should one or several C-notes accidentally find their way into his palm.) /facetious hyperbole

-----
... They are auto ranging 120-208 with Powercon in and out.
Is this not a dangerous situation where you could have either 120 or 208 on a powercon connector?
Apparently Underwriters Laboratories doesn't think so, as it's listed under UL 1573. BTW, they're auto-ranging 100-240V.

I don't feel it's an issue because the connector is so specialized, and if a user is stupid enough to plug a non-auto-ranging luminaire into an unknown power source, he deserves what he gets. Notice how almost every device using IEC 60320 (C14) is also auto-ranging? Same issue.

Last edited:
Now let me open another can of worms...
We have Mac 101s. They are auto ranging 120-208 with Powercon in and out.

You're using one connector at two different voltages. If you have that connector at two different voltages at different places in the same show, you're violating code. But if you have powercon at either 120V or 208V across the board at any time, you're fine.

No. It's not UL Listed, but is UL Recognized. ;)
Kinda make you want to just scream, don't it?
. Yup.

Before tearing out all your hair (and don't tell anyone I said this, but) go ahead and use 12/3 SJO with NAC3FCA and NAC3FCB ends for your LED fixture interconnect daisy chain power cables, as long as you want. I won't tell on you. The code will catch up to "standard industry practice" someday (provided we keep representatives from our industry on the panels). Pretty sure an AHJ could find many other issues more serious than this in your facility.

We NEVER stop caring. "ALL electrical work and equipment must meet or exceed the most stringent requirements of all local, state, and federal building and life-safety codes." We ALWAYS do EVERYTHING to the exact letter of the code. EVERY inspector is a hard-butt bastard amber, just looking for any little reason to red-tag and shut down your venue. (But can easily overlook blocked exits, lack of fire extinguishers, or use of SJO when only SO is permitted, should one or several C-notes accidentally find their way into his palm.) /facetious hyperbole

Okay, well that's generally what I've been doing. If anybody asks (especially those dangerous ones with just a little bit of knowledge), my answer is exactly as you said, that we follow everything exactly to or exceeding code. But as you also said, sometimes code just doesn't work. I just didn't know what standard industry practice is...

The only thing that made me ask was due to the pass through. Most any other powercon devices at 208 typically only have an input. Does anyone else violate this code and do you mark the connector with tape or some other way when doing so?

I've never seen anyone label or mark a PowerCON to indicate voltage. But I've also never seen anyone daisy chain across fixture types--it's always MAC101s with 101s, Auras with Auras, video panel with video panel, and so on.

On the other hand, Socapex connectors are often used at two different voltages (and usually dimmed and constant as well), and most stage electricians are fastidious about labeling those.

What do you mean, inside another listed piece of equipment? i.e. a powercon <-> powercon cable isn't okay?

"Inside" means "tested by UL as part of the listing of another product". UL Recognized connectors do not meet all the requirements of general purpose listed connectors--so they must be evaluated in each application for suitability.

Powercon to powercon cable is OK, provided they both mate with a powercon that's part of a listed piece of equipment.

What needs to be done is to include the Powercon in UL 498 as an entertainment industry standard connector. Of course, this would mean including configuration drawings so that other manufacturers besides Neutrik could build them. Also, they would have to be able to pass all the tests of UL498, which is not a given, by any means.

So, for now, they are still UL Recognized appliance connectors.

ST

Users who are viewing this thread

Back