Replacing or Repairing a Mitsubishi Projector

StradivariusBone

Custom Title
Premium Member
Fight Leukemia
Our church has a set of Mitsubishi XL5900's, one of which has developed a red clouding which I've come to understand is moisture or dirt getting into one of the LCD's, in this case I'm guessing the red one.

proxy.php

The image is black and pale green dots, the red clouding is the problem. In my homework I've learned that these are 12 year old projectors and that Mitsubishi no longer makes them or any other projectors for that matter. I'm wondering if parts are available or if it's worth to try and repair.

Replacement also might be a better option as these were purchased well before we added the backlighting you can see in the picture and before they were relocated to hit screens that are behind the band (and thus pick up a decent amount of bounce from the front wash).

The other concerns I would have in replacing them is that they are currently suspended above the stage and not exactly accessible. Are projector mounts relatively standardized or would purchasing a new projector also mean we're looking at installing a new mount? It's currently suspended from a vertical pipe that also houses all of the cables. I'll go ahead and insert the disclaimer that I do not intend to undertake this myself as I do not have experience in suspending projectors and should a new mount be required I will seek out appropriate assistance.

And speaking of cabling, it is currently RGBHV. It's not hard to put an adapter to VGA on there, but since we're already talking about it would it make sense to attempt to run a digital line. We currently use a Mac to feed a TripleHead2Go which I think outputs DP, but we have passive adapters to convert it to VGA and then to RGBHV at the moment.

Cost is always a concern when dealing with church stuff, they spent $10,000 apiece on these when new and a bunch when they relocated them and hung new screens. I feel like the 4,000 lumens is decent for our normal lighting, but it wouldn't hurt to go brighter. Looking at pricing on comparable new projectors I'm feeling that $8-10k might be the top end of new projectors and installation, but maybe not new cables.

Any and all advice would be welcome!

Honestly, repair isn't always the best option for LCD projectors. You might be able to find replacement panels and polarizers, but LCD projectors generally don't have as long of a lifespan. This is part of the reason that they are cheaper. My guess is that you have over 2000 hours on them, where you will most often need to start replacing some optical components. The projector will certainly work for longer than this, but you will need to find parts.

As for universal mounting options, no, not really. There are some hardware manufacturers, such as Chief, who make adjustable mounts which may give you the needed flexibility. If you own the mount specifically designed for that projector, the new projector will likely not have the same points.

I was actually surprised that many projectors still do not have DisplayPort inputs. However, you could still use passive adapters to DVI or HDMI to get your digital signal.

It's a bit aggravating with DisplayPort. It's super backwards compatible with VGA and it is really a much more robust standard than HDMI, but HDMI is slapped on everything. Without degrading the thread into sectarian violence and a format war, would you think it'd be worth it to run new cable or to just use the existing RGBHV? If the only benefit is resolution, I don't see much of a need to do it. I would like to take advantage of the higher resolution options a new projector might afford, but not that much.

So, new projector and new mounts. I have no idea how the existing mounts are rigged to the points above because they pass through a drop ceiling which sucks.

And the current projectors are 12 years old, used at least 6 hours a week, every week so probably closing in or past 4,000 hours at this point.

Mitsubishi has a history of manufacturing projectors with faulty mother boards. Not saying that is your issue, but I've run into a number of Mitsubishi projectors with those issues.

I would look at upgradeing, but I wouldn't pull hdmi. I'd go with HD-SDI, or Ethernet or fiber with blauns. Some of your higher end projectors will support direct HD-SDI inputs.

I don't think you can even run HDMI that far. My best guess would put these runs around 150' and I think HDMI craps out around 5m If we were going to redo it I would probably push for ethernet.

I don't think you can even run HDMI that far. My best guess would put these runs around 150' and I think HDMI craps out around 5m If we were going to redo it I would probably push for ethernet.

The only problem with Ethernet or anything with blauns is if the projectors are difficult to get to that may pose a problem should an issue occur.

If it were me I would get a projector with HD-SDI input, then run Ethernet for remote control of the device, VGA for back-up connection, and HD-SDI for a pure HD signal that you could put a scaler or switcher on the sending end and not have to worry about a faulty blaun or anything on the projector end.

EDIT: I just say Epson is selling projectors with built in HDBaseT. That would carry everything (Ethernet and HD Video over a single Cat 5/6). Worth a look - http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/...rojectors-for-large-venues.do?ref=van_lgvenue

The only issue i have with HD-SDI is that it has limited resolutions. HD-BaseT actually might be a very good option for you to consider. It seems to be catching on much more than its counterpart, AVB.

Dumb question, but what benefit does a LAN connection to a projector have (not necessarily HD-BaseT but putting the projector on the network)? Is it just another means of accessing settings?

I've got a Powerlite in the air at our PAC and like it a lot, but I think the G series (and up) might be too much projector for our church. The 4650 actually looks like a decent option. It's only XGA, but is 1000 lumens brighter than our current projectors.

Ethernet typically provides you with the ability to remotely control the device (power on/off, send display images, check hours, and and other information depending on the model.) I like to network permentally installed projectors so I don't have to futz with the remote to get bulb life and other info. I also like the ability to turn the projector on or off from anywhere I have a network connection. You can also often remotely display content wirelessly across the network. It would seem that most are gaining even more features, but those are the few I use the most.

I should probably note that my primary experience is in the education sector and I am talking hundreds of devices. It is a wonderful thing to be able to make sure they are all powered down from my workstation and see which ones have errors or bulbs reaching end of life with the touch of a button. It sure beats carrying a ladder around and checking them individually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back