Safety Issues at my High School

"...adding the tape to the side of the wenches along the back wall..."

Kidding aside, does your district have anyone in a compliance position? A Safety Committee made up of faculty/staff? As said earlier in the thread, come at it with the "I need help!" angle. If you do it that way, they'll hopefully see it as "I can help this student" rather than "This student is trying to tell me how to do my job."

Last edited:
Your door problem is complicated, probably more so than your solution suggests. I - and I don't think anyone - can tell without detailed plans including the dates of design and construction to account for which codes were applicable. It's a common problem though, and hard to fix - and comply with codes - if not designed for initially

I suspect that a few of your out of service fixtures could be returned to service with minor parts/repair. certainly most parts for the 6" fresnel are currently available, all four of these units likely could be returned to service, for the cost of a lamp, parts and time. perhaps your local vendor can help get them back on line. To me, having a local vendor would be worth the extra cost of a few lamps. Are the lamp caps for the Parellipsphere in a box or drawer?
I was wondering just why there are a number of circuits/dimmers taped over on the catwalk? What kind of dimmers do you have? are they fully functional?

The missing ceiling tiles in the dimmer room would be considered a safety problem also. The blocked vents on the dimmer rack could be problematic.
having loose wire hangers knocking around in an electrical room is unwise, simply asking for trouble.

Proper eye protection should also be used when painting in case of splatter and when the potential for exploding lamps exist (particularly Xenon projector / spotlight lamps). Students should be required to wear gloves when moving wood, platforms, flats, and light fixtures. Proper warning signs need to be installed to remind students of the use of PPE.

Do you have anything that uses Xenon lamps? You did not list any followspots that use them.

Saying you need gloves for handling Xenon projector lamps is a bit silly since I seriously doubt you have a projector that uses those (usually over $100,000). Also theres no way high school students would be handling a bare lamp anyways-- with the exception of some qualified projectionists, the actual bulb replacement is done by the manufacturer.

Last edited:
I donated several years ago to a community theater a very similar package of those lighting instruments that we pulled out of a theater being renovated. Main reason for getting rid of them was the time it would've taken to rewire/relamp/repair the instruments wouldn't have paid off for us given the several pallets of Source Four's that arrived in the weeks to follow. The community theater repaired the ones they could, cannibalizing a handful along the way for parts. They still use those lights for many of their shows to this day. The lamps cost more than HPL's, suck up more power, and give off more heat, but they're workhorses that, if maintained, will last for years to come. Likely they'll outlast the production of lamps to put in them.

As for the taped over dimmers, there are a number of reasons for a dimmer to seemingly "fail". That is, the circuit breaker could trip, a raceway's receptacle could have loose electrical terminations, the receptacles could have suffered enough wear and tear to no longer mate adequately the connection between a connector's contacts and the electrical contacts of the receptacle. There's also that the dimmer module could've indeed failed, which in some cases is easier to repair than in others. My point in this is to say that there are a number of different reasons it could seem that those dimmers have failed -- if you have not thoroughly troubleshot them and do not know someone who has and to what extent, then it's possible they are still operational given the proper love and attention. They may be old, but that seems like a suspiciously high number of dimmer mechanisms to have failed.

I've briefly glanced over your letter. Be really careful and judicious of your use of the word "needs". As my high school lit teacher used to say, "You don't need to do my homework. You don't need to come to my classes. You don't need to take my tests. You don't even need to pay your taxes. All you ever need to do in life is die."

"Needs" and "Should" conveys an inappropriate sense of an asserted demand that, if not addressed, will be followed by consequences. As someone who has done similar things to this in his younger years, I'm quite positive your wording isn't intended to be offensive, but you may find a more humble, friendly approach to be far more productive. Just in general when you're working with people, a calmer approach using "would" and "might" and "a potential solution to this would be..." can go a long way.

Also try to catch your bearings on context. "At least one of the extension cords has a damaged plug." If you're going to make a stink about it, know how many cables need repair or retirement. Generally a single cable with a bad end isn't the kind of thing you put in front of the eyes of a building or district manager. That's the kind of thing you put in front of a maintenance electrician and politely ask, "Hey -- we've got this and a couple more cables that have fallen out of repair. Would you be able to repair them for us?" You'd be surprised how rarely you'd hear "No" in response to a question like that, and in a lot of cases if someone did say "No", they'd probably follow it up with an alternative solution.

Most importantly though -- understand the gravity of some of the items on your list. When you dilute your list of legitimate concerns with minor nuisances, you lose credibility and someone reading your document will unconsciously think, "Well, if everything or even most things on this list are as dire as a bad extension cord, what I am spending my time reading this for?"

Some document design advice...

You're the only person who will ever care as much about your list as you do. Make it quick to pick apart the satiable elements of it as is possible for the people who are finding in this in their email inboxes with 200 other emails they'll get that day. That means everything short and concise -- not many complete sentences -- and problems followed immediately by "potential" or "proposed" solutions, preferably formatted with problems in bold, solutions not bolded, and solutions in bullet point form.

An example of how I'd revise one of your comments:

According to OSHA regulations and NFPA codes there is to be an area at least 3 feet
long by 2.5 feet wide clearance (or the width of the panel) in front of the electrical panel.
This safety area is suggested to be marked on the floor (by tape or paint) to discourage
setting objects in front of the panel.

Often we find objects (boxes, clothing, bags, chairs, etc.) in the area directly in front of
the electrical panels and electrical distribution panel (see attached photo #4). To make it
known not to set items in the 36” by 30” area I suggest marking the area with a bright
colored tape as well as putting a sign on the front cover of the box. This procedure also
should be put into affect with the power distribution box located in the tower.

The above comment of yours would turn into the below comment (though honestly, if you have a maintenance electrician and contact them directly, they'll probably get the wheels moving real quick like on getting that closet cleared out).

Problem:
Electrical panels often obstructed by props, costumes, and miscellaneous items. This obstructs access to electrical panels and dimmer rack without climbing over objects or emptying the room, in addition to being a potential fire hazard.

Comments & Proposed Solution:
+ NFPA calls for a 3' x 2.5' clearance area around electrical panels. A space of this size could be marked in stripes on floor and with sticker on electrical panel.
+ Items in electrical closet in need of place to be stored and organized. Are these items the theater department intends to keep or has not yet decided to throw away. If they want to keep, is there an existing location these items should be located instead of this closet or can space somewhere in the school be allocated for these?

A second example:

Although no specific code exists for the overhead lighting hoists, it is ideal that they be
inspected at least once every five years. In this inspection the cables, hoists and pulleys
should be inspected by a properly certified agency.

For the safety of the students and faculty I would suggest an inspection of the overhead
rigging to be a top priority as an accident could be cause major damage to our
equipment and could inflict injury or death to people on stage.

The above comment of yours would turn into the below comment:

Problem:
No record could be found of last inspection of overhead rigging in theater.

+ Has the rigging been inspected recently and records kept elsewhere or record were not made of inspection?
+ For maintenance and insurance purposes, it would be a good idea for inspections to be recorded somewhere and that they be performed routinely if not already. Standard industry practice is generally an inspection of overhead rigging by a qualified professional every 1-2 years. Long-term care of rigging systems ensure a safe, functioning facility for students and can extend life of rigging systems before a major overhaul is necessary. Regular intervals of maintenance now can prevent or put off need for major, expensive projects in coming years.

A third example

For the most part we have no Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in place. Title 29 in
the Code of Federal Regulations says “Employers must ensure that each affected
employee uses appropriate eye or face protection when exposed to eye or face hazards
from flying particles”. This code would suggest that while performing certain activities
eye protection needs to be provided for students. Hand protection is a necessary piece of
PPE to avoid burns, splinters and cuts from sharp edged or loose wire. All PPE should
be stored in a easily accessed place with proper singe reminding to use it posted where
visible.

PPE needs to be purchased and put into use. Students should be required to wear eye
protection while using a saw, hammer, staple gun, or crowbar. Proper eye protection
should also be used when painting in case of splatter and when the potential for
exploding lamps exist (particularly Xenon projector / spotlight lamps). Students should
be required to wear gloves when moving wood, platforms, flats, and light fixtures.
Proper warning signs need to be installed to remind students of the use of PPE.

The above comment of yours would turn into the below comment:

Problem: Currently available PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) such as gloves and safety glasses is inadequate for building sets and is being under-utilized by students.

+ Sufficient PPE and safety equipment for most scenarios would likely include the following:
+ (x12) Pairs of safety glasses for eye protection
+ (x6) Pairs of leather gloves for working with ropes, splintery lumber, etc.
+ (x1) Full face shield for eye protection
+ (x4) Pairs of earmuffs for hearing protection
+ Recommended that students wear appropriate hearing, eye, and hand protection when working with tools or near potential hazards on stage or in shop.
+ Recommended that policy be adopted to restrict wearing sandals, open-toed shoes, or similar footwear in shop areas to reduce change of stubbing toes, dropping heavy things on exposed feet, or stepping on staples, nails, and splinters that may be on floor during construction process.

Make it really easy for someone to look at your proposed solutions and decide, "We have no reason not to take care of this right now" or "We need to look at this closer before we decide on a course of action." Your document should be easily digestible and give the person reading it a sense that every sentence or phrase on each page has enough value that it's worth their time to read every page through to the end.

Another note for you is that I've noticed your problems and solutions to be reversed. You tend to describe the problem better down where you're supposedly listing the potential fixes, and tend to describe the potential fixes better up where you're supposedly listing the causes. That the problems and their respective solutions are divorced apart from one another in your document is especially discombobulating.

Lastly, be very cautious making assumptions. Just because you don't know if something has been inspected doesn't necessarily mean that it wasn't. If you make broad assumptions about things that other people have already addressed and then claim they have ignored those things -- you lose a lot of credibility really fast and those people who you've offended may get defensive or feel compelled to put you into your place and tell you how mistaken you were about how poorly they've been handling their jobs. (You didn't outright accuse them of being bad at their jobs, but that's the implication as you're telling them what they should be doing better on things that fall within their job description.

Last edited:
Reactions: Les
We don't haave a projector like that I just read about them and added it. We have Altman Dynaspots

And Dynaspots don't use Xenon lamps either.

Saying this to help you out, not to insult-- you do not want to add in random things you read about on the internet. If someone brings up the concern about students working with lamps that could explode, and your answer is oh we don't have any of those I just read about it, you won't win any points.

I assume Iowa - helps with which codes - and that this is regards either or both the doors to the dressing rooms or the doors to the corridor?

I'm about to head to airport and not back in office till back from LDI so I may not reply for a while or at least no have time to research. Quick answer is the 4 doors I mention should be part of a one hour wall and should be either 20 minute or 45 minute doors - should be on a metal tag on the butt side of the door and should have closers and latches that operate. Magnetic hold opens tied to fire alarm might work. I have not found the electrically held open latches to be very reliable for a long life and they are very expensive. To be clear, is it teh noise of the latches or the inconvenience of having to open them that is prompting the blocking and taping? If it's just not having them lock, a locksmith should be able to fix it.

Sorry - wrote this early and forgot to post.

Bill, we tape the three sets of doors that are in the back of the auditorium (opposite of the stage) that leads to the corridor. You are exactly correct, it is the noise issue. Thank you a lot Nicolai for the suggestion, I am doing it now.

Yea! According to OSHA regulations and NFPA codes there is to be an area at least 3 feet long by 2.5 feet wide clearance (or the width of the panel) in front of the electrical panel.
Get some bright yellow tape and mark off the proper clearance area on the floor in front of all electrical panels.

Get some bright yellow tape and ...
I prefer paint. But...

proxy.php

http://stop-painting.com/floormarking.html

The dimmers taped over are all dead
I hope that your shop teacher or Principal has submitted a work-order to the district maintenance office to have the dimmers repaired.
Often in a school situation things do not get fixed simply because no one has ever informed the maintenance department that it is not working.
They cannot fix something when they do not know that it is broke. So check with your principal and make sure that there is a work order in on the dimmer fix. If not ask that one be submitted.
the main thing they need to know is where the problem is so that the technician can come in and quickly find the problem outlet, be sure to list the all of the dead dimmers.

Does anybody know any good prices to sell the Kliegl and Parellipsphere for parts or collectors?
I think you should just forget about selling the old fixtures. It could get you into trouble with the law. It is likely that only the school district business office has the authority to sell district equipment. If i were to sell surplus district equipment, our business department could have me arrested for theft, even if i gave them all the proceeds from the sale. (and i would be very quickly unemployed) often it is less hassle for me to toss surplus equipment into the dumpster. Any surplus or disposal of equipment should be discussed with the principal.

the lamp caps are sitting on the side, that is what isn't working
I cannot tell you how many times i have walked into a space and find the fixtures in one place and the lamp heads in some far removed location.
IMHO they should stay assembled together. at least then you have a chance of repairing whatever might be the problem and returning the fixture to service.

Last edited:
I am supposed to meet with the principal at some point (hopefully sooner than later) and I plan to try to get a work order put in then.

We want to have a solid sale proposal to show when we talk to the district about selling them.

When I get a chance I will pair them back up.

Still even with a sales proposal, it gets hairy with public schools. A you probably won't get much for them and B it's still school/ district property. Even state institutions have problems sometimes because a higher power technically owns everything. Just don't get your hopes up for much.

Via Tapatalk

If you are indeed in Boone, IA, as is being guessed, then CB member MPowers is near you, as is a branch of the company I work for. Either or both of us would be interested in helping, once things progress to the 'call a contractor' level, for either repairs or replacement parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back