Second story construction

We're doing Cabaret in the spring and I need to construct a platform for the band 24' L x 8' W x 8' H. This would lead to 4' wide platforms extending downstage both SR & SL in decreasing height. I would like to avoid building out of wood.
Has anyone used other material or methods such as some type of scaffolding?

Don't have time for a full response right now however, if you're not going with wood, you need to go with Steel or Aluminum. Using Scaffolding might be possible, but it is fraught with challenges, not the least being, Noise, appearance, integration into other scenic elements.

We're doing Cabaret in the spring and I need to construct a platform for the band 24' L x 8' W x 8' H. This would lead to 4' wide platforms extending downstage both SR & SL in decreasing height. I would like to avoid building out of wood.
Has anyone used other material or methods such as some type of scaffolding?
I used an engineered steel product known as Dex-ion back in the '70's. The manufacturer offered several versions of shears for cutting it with the lowest cost shear being hand operated. It assembled with specialized self-locking nuts and bolts which bit lightly into the steel without requiring lock washers. It was a pretty good product, was manufactured in a variety of cross-sections and only asked that you assemble it with some degree of structural sensibility. From memory, we used to purchase it in lengths somewhere around 16' and shear it down from there. Eventually, you needed to purchase a few more long lengths but you just kept shearing down your short lengths as required until they were too stupidly short to be worth keeping and then you took them to a scrap metal dealer to recoup a little cash by the pound. The manufacturer sold it pre-finished with a durable, grey, powder coated finish but you could paint it as required. Think of it as Meccanno on steroids if you're old enough, or British enough, to remember Meccanno (Sp?).
Edited to add link: http://www.dexion.com/
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Last edited:
I just watched a production of Cabaret on Friday. They went for an all wood look, and had a wall of doors across the front of the platform (kind of like these).

What was really cool was what you could see when those doors were open. It looked like what you would expect the trap or backstage of an old caberet to look like - big wooden columns and joists, warm exposed light bulbs, deep dark shadows beyond. You could only catch a glimpse, but it added to the environment, rather than detracting like modern metal scaffolding might have.

That said, I could only see maybe 6 feet into the darkness beyond the lights, for all I know there was a curtain and behind that was some other structure. Plenty of good welders on that crew, so it could have been anything.

For 8' high, strength, and cost, you cannot beat renting scaffolding and then building 2x6 framed platforming to go on top.
You will need to visit your local scaffolding rental place or look up scaff rental/sales websites and make sure you are totally familiar with the standard shapes and sizes. They are not inherently 4x8 friendly but with careful planning you can achieve what you need. You will have to frame above the level of the corner "posts" and take into account x-bracing limiting some access underneath. "Walk-thru" type scaffolding is your friend. Do not forget leg levelers and coupling pins. As noted, it can be noisy but this too can be overcome. Also be sure to work out with the rental person that you want clean stuff or you might get a load of scaffolding loaded with caked on concrete which is awful to work with. They are used to renting by the week or month and most will deliver and pick up (for a charge).

I once did a production of "Good Woman of Setzuan" with mobile platforms of castered scaffolding. I wanted it in bright red as the platforms would be totally exposed. After a few phone calls, I found a rental yard that had exactly what I needed. I mentioned it was for a theatre production, and without missing a beat, the clerk said "Oh, we do that all the time."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back