Those are all 5-pin? Do they not make 3-pin connectors?

I believe ENTTEC does make 3-pin as well. If you look into getting a DMXKing product, I know they have the option of 3 or 5 pin.

The sketch is a good start, but without knowing the actual dimensions and show needs/wants, it's impossible to advise.

I believe ENTTEC does make 3-pin as well. If you look into getting a DMXKing product, I know they have the option of 3 or 5 pin.

The sketch is a good start, but without knowing the actual dimensions and show needs/wants, it's impossible to advise.
Once I can get better information ill come back and update this, happy holidays and stay safe out there!

I have actually seen those used for a small acting theatre...thing I went and saw and they produce a very narrow light and are not bright at all. My schools theatre has the light I brought up (they are not using it, my theatre director uses ETC and Chauvet) and I plugged it in for play mode and its brighter than I thought. Sorry if I sound dumb.

You don't and I didn't to come off as saying that these fixtures aren't usable in a pinch because they will produce light which is important but I personally have had a lot of issues out of this style light due to the uneven color distribution and the color shift between 2 of the same model fixtures which is caused by the cheap circuitry, nature of manufacturing the LED nodes, and design of the fixtures. One of the big issues with these fixtures becomes apparent when using digital photography like doing cast photos for publicity, videography for DVDs and even video stage monitors backstage and the tech booth is that these fixtures operate with a non-controllable non-standard hertz cycle which is different that what cameras use. The more expensive units are a lot better in a theatrical environment as manufacturers like ETC will do a sort of bench focus on every fixture to ensure colors between their fixtures are the same. But for the purposes of the original posters intent I and multiple others have all came to the same conclusion that for what he wants to do that he would be better off not purchasing these, saving up and begin to invest in a standard conventional lighting system that would provide

Agreed. Remember that with DMX, even the 5-pin connectors only use 3-pins. There is very little mystery to how a 3-pin to 5-pin is wired. (Of course, I'm sure there are exceptions out there).
In most cases, all 5 pins are wired up though.

In most cases, all 5 pins are wired up though.

I'm curious about in a 3-pin to 5-pin DMX converter, what would pins 4/5 connected to?

Every system I've seen has these pins disconnected (though I know that some systems use these non-standardly as a second universe, instrument feedback, etc.). However, in a 3-pin system (single universe), there are only 3 connections needed (Data +, Data - and SG). I was under the impression that the current guidance in Annex B of E1.11 of EIA485 was to leave pins 4/5 disconnected.

I'm curious about in a 3-pin to 5-pin DMX converter, what would pins 4/5 connected to?
On the 3-pin end, there are only three pins to connect to, so if using normal DMX cable to build an adapter, the second pair is just cut off at both ends, and on the 5-pin end only pins 1, 2, and 3 are connected. My previous comment was about
Remember that with DMX, even the 5-pin connectors only use 3-pins.

Every system I've seen has these pins disconnected (though I know that some systems use these non-standardly as a second universe, instrument feedback, etc.). However, in a 3-pin system (single universe), there are only 3 connections needed (Data +, Data - and SG). I was under the impression that the current guidance in Annex B of E1.11 of EIA485 was to leave pins 4/5 disconnected.
In a 5-pin system, I think most times you will find pins 4 and 5 connected. The practice has always been to have the second pair in cable and many devices the second pair is still wired in even though it may not be used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back