Talent Show

There have been some very good comments regarding this fundraising event, and I would certainly agree with many of them. As you know, the time slot per student/act needs to be S P E L L E D O U T to the students so the props/musical equipment/etc doesn't create a log jam in your program. And having some type of full-blown rehearsal would really be a good idea as previously suggested.

Please let us know how it goes, and attach a few pictures if you get the chance!

One big thing that we have found out the hard way, don't give anyone any microphone of any value. We have some really old, but still somewhat functional, mics that we let them use. We used to distribute our good mics and one year at the end of a rap act, the mics were thrown onto the stage. We also had a a small riot start up one year, had to go into panic mode. Give them mics you can live without or none at all and try and keep the controversy to a low.

You don't say what age the children are, but if they are HS or upper grade school (7 or 8) I would recommend giving ownership to the students to organise it. Then I would call local community theatres, colleges with theatre programs, or professional theatres and ask for some donated help to mentor the kids and to give advice about organising the event. Other resources to ask for help: event planners (wedding planners count!) tournament organisers parents ( you never know when you have a Stage Manager in the pool) Have fun with it, and don't worry. It'll be great, no matter what you do.

I realize that this is quite late, but...

In my high school the talent show is the big Freshmen fundraiser. The Freshman Class Adviser organizes the show with the class officers. The auditions are held the first week of December, with a dress rehearsal the second week of January, and the actual show the third week. They charge $5 for admission, which isn't too bad. There is a short intermission where they sell deserts and snacks in the hallway outside the theater.

During the actual show, one or two seniors act as the emcee(s), and there is usually some little gag they do to start off and get the audience into the spirit. We do let bands play, but they have to play at the end. The curtain gets closed and the band sets up during the previous act, and then the curtain opens up and they go on with little work seen to the audience.

As for crew, we have two spot-ops, our sound guy running the cd player and the board, someone on the light board (in the past we've used subs for ease, speed, and the ability to change), someone on curtain, a few kids on run crew, and the Stage Manager...

The stage manager is by far one of the most important people in a talent show, IMO. You need someone who can work under pressure, solve problems on the fly, and who will stand up and remind anyone who is forgetting that they are the SM, they run the stage.

Sorry if this is too much for you, it's been a long day...

M.L. Pucci
Lighting Designer
Croton-Harmon High School, NY

Rock bands are fine, as long as you only have like 2 or 3 of them. Then space them in with the intermission and standup comedy acts that you can close the curtain for and set up/strike behind. If your organized, you can even do the entire thing on the fly if you have to, but its usually better to just cue it up and let er rip. Rehersals = good. At our college, we made people show up for a blocking rehersal, a technical rehersal and a dress rehersal just to be allowed to participate. Tech and dress were on the same night, with catering in between for the crew... I approve this idea much. I think the 2 bucks in advance and 4 at the door is probably a good idea... maybe charge a discounted price if you bring a canned good for some local charity. My HS had a talent show that cost 5 bucks to go to, but you could bring a can of food to knock a dollar off the price, and it stacked, so you could bring no money and 5 cans of food. They also gave free pop/food to people with canned food, but the entire point was to raise canned goods for the local food bank. They raised about a semi of food or something outrageous like that. Basically, pick a cause and charge based on that. Food and drink is a good thing. You can also have one of the rock bands that is slightly better than the rest/can play a 20 min set do the intermission in the lobby. Also, if you dont get music from the band/group that they want played, then they dont get it played. You would be shocked how few dance groups want to perform without their backing track. However, this will probably raise your level from ok theatre geek to total not ok theatre geek in the eyes of that entire group's friends, so be forwarnd. Best delegate this task of telling people they cant go on with music. CDs are good. QLab is even better, IMO. Another thing with CDs, if you have the facilities, make a single CD and have the entire thing mastered so that all songs are about the same volume, or at least give the FoH engineer some notification as to when the volume will be higher/lower. I second the comment on using crappy mics. We had just gotten a new Shure wireless hand-held last summer (2, actually), when the hip-hop group decided to end their set by tossing the mics into the air. Needless to say, NFG after that. Use cheaper/studier mics. Also, take the cable, bring it up to the windscreen and then back down, and etape the crap out of it. Allows mic to be swung lightly more safely. Not to encourage it, its going to happen, so just try and prevent an SM-58 from hitting someone in the face when it unclips. Lighting: go big or go home, but go big for everyone. Dont pick out the "coolest" act and hit them hard with cool effects. Make that stand up guy feel like hes on Comedy Centeral Presents, even if hes barely funny. He will have a better time, and people will be more excited by him, generally. Crowd blinders are great for rock shows, dances should look nice. Haze = very good. Have some people designated security, either local off duty cops (usually costs money), or find some teachers willing to do it. Keep people out of the backstage/green room unless they are the ones performing. We usually had 2-10 guards from campus security at our college talent show type gigs. If you have them, security types should all wear the same thing so as to be identifiable. Ours were campus security, but yours might just be black t-shirts with "security" stamped on the back or something. Nothing fancy needed. Time: 5 minutes for a bad act can be forever. Make it fair and limit everyone, if the talent wont get off the stage when they ought, the mute and blackout buttons work wonders at getting people shut up. So does the grand drape in conjunction with the mute button. Also, try and screen the acts. Last thing you want is the principal shutting you down because some dummy spouted his mouth with a good naughty word or two, or that dance group forgot to put on the actual costume. Had this issue at my college 2 years ago, it was not pretty. Actually had to keep some higher ups off the stage using force (hooray for campus security). Just dont let it happen if you can help it. PS, West Michiganders ftw.

Oh, and since good communication is key, have a talkback in the monitors for rehearsal (and for the performance, if the acts are poorly behaved. Also, yell as little as possible. Have clear-com/telex or some other intercom between the booth, stage, backstage, and house management. If you can, a video feed of the stage to the greenroom/ backstage area can be helpful in prepping acts. And yell as little as humanly possible. If someone is yelling at you, take it, and respond calmly and professionally. Only raise your voice if you need to in order to be heard over a lot of noise, and a mic is preferable to yelling. Makes people happier.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back