What do you all Run your Sound Effects From?

Davetp

I do tech for School and local shows and i use a windows Tower to get me through the job with:

1 monitor
1 tower
2 mouses (one wireless and sensor taped over)
1 keyboard
1 USB Fan
1 Desk Lamp With Purple Gell
4 L.E.D clip lights
2 microphones (for F.O.H calls and Dressing Room Calls
1 sound board
2 speakers (F.O.H)
1 radio and headset to the rest of the crew
1 channel for the musical directors Keyboard
1 channel for PC
1 Channel For F.O.H Intercom System
3 Channels For Stage Mics

I Use A windows package called Multiplay which is free and great.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Other-AUDIO-Tools/MultiPlay.shtml

The Official website for Multiplay is : http://www.da-share.com/software/multiplay/
Unfortunately Audio Visual Devices is not actively supporting Multiplay anymore. The Creator is actually a member here. There are several of us here who use multiplay (at least some of the time). At the theatre I mainly work at we use QLAB, and I use Multiplay in some other places, mainly when budget is an extreme issue. I love having multiplay as an option but it can be a pain in the butt as it is very picky about audio files.

Of course since I use gear at different venues it varies greatly.

PERSONALLY I have a PC "tower" chassis computer at home that I use for production, and I use a laptop in the field as it is much more portable (and less likely to get damaged by transport. Ive found most Desktop computers don't really like being lugged around all the time). Really it doesn't take a very powerful machine to run multiplay and get 1-10 simultaneous sound cues. If I need anything any more powerful my desktop can be pulled out.
At my main venue of course a desktop MAC with QLAB running to our GLD 80 connected with a virtual DANTE "soundcard" (ie a network cable, yay many channels with no hassle).

1 channel for PC
1 Channel For F.O.H Intercom System

Only 1 channel for your PC, not Stereo?
And your intercom patched into your audio console?

I use Qlab most shows, easiest program to work with IMHO. Typically a Macbook Pro with a USB interface to get audio into the board, and a separate keyboard (I prefer more "clicky" keys for a go button instead of the Macbook keys)

I have to use a tower as my old netbook isn't cutting it anymore and I am saving up for a good Windows laptop

I don't usually use Macs as I find windows have more programs to run

What board do you guys use?

Budget is all ways an issue as I dont get payed for my work. I am trying to get a lot of experience so i. Three years I can apply for the RSC school of drama

For me it depends on the space, one space has a tower that is permanent audio setup with SCS with a dedicated mixer, I cannot remember what the board brand is (I think it is a Mackie), but for the college group I am apart of it depends what I can get provided by the school, so for the last show I did we had two different Mackie mixers used, and at my old high school we used two different Behringer mixers. Basically any analogue mixer to me is the same, just a few different options depending on size.

Here are pictures of two of the setups. The first three are from my most recent show with the college group, the middle picture shows my tower and the other two show the setups that were used. The fourth picture is from my old high school set up for a choir concert, which the smaller mixer is used as a preamp for the larger, it is a little hidden behind the wireless receiver but that is the only reason why I am using two mixers for six mics
WP_20150314_001.jpg 20150313_210554.jpg 20150313_164304.jpg 20141211_201808.jpg

Thanks looks good
Are you all ways based on the floor level or do you have a raised area I'm curious

In the local venue we have a private balcony that we used for lighting and sound

In the school I have a setup between two rained seating elements

Well in my old high school it is a gymatorium so it is level, but the place for my college group did have two balconies the inputs for the audio were only at floor level, during show I generally spend the whole time standing so my monitor can be high enough that I can see everything on it clearly. The third place has its own sound booth which is raised, but the venue is for more of a Cirque Du Soleil style performances. Here is a picture of me helping hang a sing I am the one leaning out the window.
V__A9BB.jpg

I am stage managing and running lighting for the school show and my good friend will be doing the sound

He has an amazing setup

For the local venue I'll be running the sound.
I am hoping to be getting a monitor for my desk of a stage shot as well as standing from a balcony.

But my local setup is very busy as I do t get Amy cues called to me so I have to be on book all night

Do you have a recorded message at the beginging of your performance?

We do but it is live

Depends on the group and the show. One show it was a power point in the style of an old fashioned slide deck since the show was based on the style of Wes Anderson, the circus shows for the non recital performance, they have two sets each year the recital which is basically all of the students since it is a circus school and the august show being called that for the time of year it occurs, the recital the founder makes a live quick announcement, but for the august it gets a themed one, for example when it was telling that smoking is not allowed for a wizard of Oz themed show it said please no smoking it makes the flying monkeys aggressive, and the Minnesotans passive aggressive. Basically it is budget oriented, the more money the show has the everything gets it seems, the power point one was made by the director, and we used the extra projector from my moms classroom that she wasn't using and someone manually changes the slides when the director signaled by shining the light from her smartphone.

I use a live voice over from the balcony
e.g
welcome ladies and gentlemen
welcome to tonights performance of .....
We would like to ask you to turn of your mobile phones
blah blah blah

Please sit back relax and enjoy the show

I use a live voice over from the balcony
e.g
welcome ladies and gentlemen
welcome to tonights performance of .....
We would like to ask you to turn of your mobile phones
blah blah blah

Please sit back relax and enjoy the show

I've learned just do whatever keeps the director happy, granted the directors that I have worked with have all been very intense and they have a certain vision, for one show when I had to program lights the file didn't save so I spent three hours afterwords reprogramming the whole show, using off line software, and the computer for the circus shows has a redundant hard drive in case the solid state crashes during a show, but that has been my experience

We do all of our shows manual as we usualu dint have time to program and eeven if we do there are all ways LX changes

I had to redo the whole sound for a show
even though the show was oppneing the next day

I prefer automation in this stuff to remove user error especially for audio here is an example, most of the time the manual is put in so that we don't lose where we are in the show because it jumps to the next manual cue here is a picture of what I mean, lighting since I usually do everything I don't want the error of doing it live
Automation Example.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back